Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

The World’s Columbian Exposition > A must read for this episode!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wbuenger) | 1 comments I’m so excited to be a part of this group! I have to recommend one of my all time favorite books by one of my favorite authors for this episode. If you want to learn more about the events surrounding the Chicago World’s Fair from this episode then you should definitely read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson! You won’t be able to put it down!

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Fantastic book!! I agree!

message 3: by Kerza (new)

Kerza (handler) | 11 comments I agree, as well.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (wonderwaugh79) | 45 comments Mod
I think I’m going to read this one next! I will edit these folders to start the discussion by section of this novel!! Thank you!!

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Jacobsen (kristijacobsen) | 1 comments I'm almost done with this book! It provides so much background into what actually went on at the fair and at the hotel that you start to notice new things about the episode.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (xfkirsten) | 19 comments Yes! I picked this up awhile back and never finished it because I got distracted by other books - I should start it again now!

message 8: by Jes (new)

Jes | 5 comments It's one of my favorites! I read it after taking architecture classes in graduate school, and it was fun to 'meet' some of those architects we studied! There was a movie project announced with Leonardo DiCaprio attached, but I think work must have stalled on it.

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 3 comments This is a great book. Any book by Erik Larson is a must-read for me.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna (acdellica) | 4 comments Jes wrote: "There was a movie project announced with Leonardo DiCaprio attached, but I think work must have stalled on it."

As far as I can tell, it's still in the early script development phase. Both DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese seem passionate about it, but I imagine scheduling it will be a beast.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (xfkirsten) | 19 comments Anna wrote:

As far as I can tell, it's still in the early script development phase. ..."

Thankfully this is the kind of film that's (no pun intended) timeless - it's not riding on any current fads, so they have the luxury of time to develop it right.