You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > June 2018 - Reporting

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Please read through the reporting thread carefully to ensure to report correctly to get your badge/s.

After you have read your chosen book(s) for this month's group theme read, please report in the thread below.

Please state what book you read (and link it), that you discussed it (and where), and briefly summarise what you thought of the book and/or link to your review if you have written one.

If you lead the discussion, please state this in your post.

Here is an example for how to report your read:

“I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and discussed it in the [Harry Potter/Buddy Read/Other books in theme] thread. I really enjoyed the book. I watched the film first so I already knew the story line but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book more as there was more detail involved. Plus I listened to the audio which was narrated by Stephen Fry who is a superb narrator. 4 stars.”

If you read more than one book which fits the theme, please report all your reads in the same post rather than in separate posts.

Please note, there are THREE different badges that can be obtained for group reads. Those reading and discussing one of the two chosen group reads will receive a colourful badge similar to those for previous group reads. Those reading and discussing any other book in the theme will receive a stamp. The discussion leader for the two chosen group reads will receive a badge stating they led the discussion. Maximum amount of badges you can receive for the group reads is TWO - one for the chosen group read/discussion leader and one for any other book in the theme.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book(s) before or during June 2018.
2. discussed it in the relevant thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in that thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread below, along with a brief summary of what you thought.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Thanks to the toppler, I finished my themed read, As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride. I discussed the book in the generic discussion thread for the theme.

I really enjoyed this trip down memory lane and hearing about the making of the movie. It gave me a new appreciation for the cast and crew, and just how special this production was. It made me want to rush right out and get the movie so I could watch it again. I will be searching out Billy Crystal's outtakes in YouTube. Cary said they are there.

message 3: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments I read Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome and offered some of my thoughts in the appropriate discussion thread. I will continue to check in there, 'til the end of the month, to see what everyone else has to say about the book.

I think Harris does a great job of adding dialog and character "thoughts" to an historical account of Cicero's (and Tiro's) life. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments I read
Imperium Imperium (Cicero, #1) by Robert Harris Robert Harris 480 p. 18 june 2018 5 stars. I gave a small comment in the thread and will follow up. I am fascinated by the events in this time period as they were a decisive point in history.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jun 18, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Kristie | 15251 comments I read Dark Water. It is listed as Dark Water: A totally gripping thriller with a killer twist (Detective Erika Foster Book 3) on Amazon. I discussed it in the general theme discussion thread. https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Water-gri...

I'm enjoying this series, but this was my least favorite of the three. I knew who the 'bad guy' was from the beginning. I didn't know the details of the why or how, but I knew the who. There was also some character development that I didn't care for and some behavior from characters that was out of character, which bothered me. I'll have to read the next one to see where the author goes with it, but I'm hoping the next one is better because I really loved the first book.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Claire wrote: "I read
Imperium Imperium (Cicero, #1) by Robert Harris Robert Harris 480 p. 18 june 2018 5 stars. I gave a small comment in the thread and will follow up. I am fascinated by the ev..."

Please comment fully in the discussion thread before reporting so I don't have to keep checking back. Badges are awarded for discussion not just completion of the book.

message 7: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments I read and discussed A Street Cat Named Bob: And How He Saved My Life for this month's theme. I really enjoyed it. It was a quick, easy read, but more important than that was how uplifting it was. Its a story about second chances. I loved the bond between James and Bob and how that bond changed both their lives. I can relate to taking in a "street" cat as all 3 of mine were strays. It really touched me when James said Bob gave him a purpose. Furbabies can add so much to our lives.
This book was on my tbr pile for awhile and I'm glad I finally read it.

message 8: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9824 comments I red Asperger's Children: The Origins of Autism in Nazi Vienna by Edith Sheffer and commented on it in the appropriate thread.

Asperger's Syndrome was named after the Austrian pediatric psychiatric, Hans Asperger, who is supposed to have define the syndrome for the first time. In this book the author explores Asperger relations with Nazism and the Third Reich. Although Asperger was never considered a collaborationist with the Nazi regime because he never joined the Nazi Party, he was indeed part of the Third Reich's eugenics program and children euthanasia system in Vienna. The author supports this theory with an incredible amount of documents. Sheffer is a incredible neat researcher. A lot is discussed about the Nazi programs of racial hygiene, eugenics, euthanasia, hereditary health, etc, and the role of child psychiatry in these programs.

The book results very insightful about the dangers of labeling and rigid concepts about what it is normal and what is not, and also when concepts are defined not by medical point of views, but from an ideological interests.

message 9: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I read Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook

I didn't plan on reading this, but when I heard about Anthony Bourdain's suicide and I knew I had this book on my real life for years, it felt like the right time to pick it up.

A mixed bag. I enjoyed reading about Anthony's life, his family, his travels, and how he writes about food. However, there are also many chapters on people, some of whom he compliments, but mostly he just goes on and on about why he hates them. That in itself is not too bad, it's kind of what to expect from him, but the problem was that I had never heard of most of them (and it felt you were supposed to know who they are), so I had to google all the time (which at some point I stopped doing because I grew tired of it). But basically, because I didn't know them I didn't care and I found myself skimming over these chapters.

message 10: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I read and discussed Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche by Haruki Murakami.

This was my first non-fiction book. It was an important subject and it was very interesting to see the point of views of victims and members of the sect. The author did a good job at pointing the difference between Japanese society and Wertern ones.

The format of the book cause it to be a slow read for me and was getting repetitive. Paireed with it being my first non-fiction book, I ended up giving it a 3 stars.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1355 comments I read Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town and discussed it in the appropriate thread.

A very frustrating book about rape in America. It was a difficult read, but I really wish more people would read it and take it to heart because of some of the realities the book. That said, it is well written and easy to really get into. I gave it 4 stars.

message 12: by Silver (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:13PM) (new)

Silver | 495 comments I am not going to be able to finnish Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome by the end of this month but I read and compleated Rape: A Love Story by Joyce Carol Oates.

I discussed in the thread for books with subtitles.

I thought it was a brilliant gripping book. The story is cruel but written with a beautiful brutality and so poignant. There was not a word out of place everything is written with perfection. I could find nothing to fault in this book.

I began reading Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome by Robert Harris and discussed it in the thread made for the book.

I am about halfway through. I am strugguling a bit with the book. There are aspects I find interesting. I really enjoy the History I know Harris did a lot of research and I enjoyed learning about Tiro. The book was very well and cleverly written. The difficulty I have is that for me it moves so slow that I have to read it in small spurts at a tine.

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Silver, if you made some progress with Imperium and discussed the part you read in the thread (and write a bit about it in this thread), you can still qualify for a badge.

message 14: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments Peggy wrote: "Silver, if you made some progress with Imperium and discussed the part you read in the thread (and write a bit about it in this thread), you can still qualify for a badge."

Oh ok! I did make progress and have discussed it.

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20703 comments I read Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome and participated in the discussion thread. I enjoyed the story of Cicero and his slave and secretary, Tiro. The story was about the desire of Cicreo to one day be elected to the office of Counsel in Rome before the fall of the Roman Empire. The means of how he became a Senator, how he trained to be a politician and orator and how he campaigned his way through the stages of office before he could run for Counsel. The story highlighted his friends and enemies and family. I think I will read the next books in the trilogy too, just to see what happened next.

I also read an alternate book, Admissions: Life as a Brain Surgeon. I commented on it in the Alternate read thread. This book was a memior written and narrated by the Doctor, facing the prospect of having to give up his practice of brain surgery as he neared retirement age, and a look back at how he had gotten there and the issues he faced along the way.

message 16: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments I read Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome and lead the discussion.

I rated this book 3.5 stars, which I rounded up to 4, more in appreciation of the authors meticulous research than out of enjoyment of the story.

I liked Tiro. I enjoyed his dry humour and his honesty. I admired Ciceros cleverness. He was the forerunner of the modern politician with all that that entails! I know which characters were to be loved and which to be loathed, but I never felt any emotional involvement. Maybe it was because I knew the outcome but when reading it is the journey that is important and in this case, the route was predictable. The ending was a bit of an anti-climax. I thought the audio book had stalled but no, it was the end of the story.

I will continue with the trilogy. Partly because I bough all three books in a deal but mostly because although I know the end destination, I would like to witness the rest of the trip through the eyes of Tiro.

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Badges have been posted. Give me a shout if I missed you.

message 18: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2546 comments Sorry Peggy -- reporting in late, although I did finish the book in June as reported in the discussion thread. I read Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome and discussed it in the discussion thread. My review here; https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 19: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments No worries Lilisa. I always try to get things off my to-do list quickly, so I did badges already. I'll go badge you now!

message 20: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2546 comments Peggy wrote: "No worries Lilisa. I always try to get things off my to-do list quickly, so I did badges already. I'll go badge you now!"

Thank you, Peggy! 😋

message 21: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Really sorry to only post now. I've been away from home this last week with very limited internet access.
Ididn'tfinish Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome on time, it was early July. But I enjoyed reading everyone's comments and have given my two penn'erth. The story was amazing. Brilliantly researched and well told. I learned a lot about ancient Rome too. I'll be reading the others in the series.
I read Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche as part of last year's challenge, so was able to join in the discussion thread.
The book is meticulously researched and you can feel the respect with which the author introduces the victims and relays their stories. I gave the book 2 stars overall however, just because I found the reports quite repetitive and found it a hard book to finish.

If I've missed the reporting deadline Peggy, that's ok😊

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I only read this now Annerlee, but I'll badge you tomorrow! Don't hesitate to remind me if I forget.

message 23: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments You're a star Peggy. Thank you : )

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Done!

message 25: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Thank you : )