The Great American Read discussion

PBS GAR Shows, lists, links > Please add resources, schedules, voting links etc.

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
We have a lot of people here and I'm counting on you to help keep us informed. If you have info or are searching for it, please make a note in this thread, and when you get it, post it in this folder. THANK YOU!!!

Can someone post the voting information, hashtags, the current Face-book schedule (and updated schedules), updates on the TV show, and any other relevant information?

I think they said that the Fall shows will be organized around genres or themes. I'd like to align some of our reads with that breakdown if possible.

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments I hope there's a book to fit Halloween. :)

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) How about Frankenstein?

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments @Sheila - good idea. I'm in.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Colleen wrote: "I hope there's a book to fit Halloween. :)"

Lol, I love Halloween, and always look for something creepy or gothic at that time ofyear!

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Yes, Frankenstein is scheduled for October. We will also have extra discussion threads set up in September and October related to the PBS shows. I believe the winner will be announced October 25.

In November we will read the WINNER of the competition.

message 7: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Fall Schedule and theme episodes:

“Fall Kick Off”
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11 8:00PM

“Who Am I?”
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18 8:00PM

“Heroes”
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 8:00PM

“Villains and Monsters”
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 2 8:00PM

“What We Do For Love”
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 9 8:00PM

“Other Worlds”
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 16 8:00PM

“Grand Finale”
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23 8:00PM

message 8: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

J. wrote: "Fall Schedule and theme episodes:>

Thanks J. I thought I saw a list of books for the who am I episode (or maybe it was just pictures), but I didn't bookmark it. If not, it might be fun to guess.

message 9: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "Fall Schedule and theme episodes:>

Thanks J. I thought I saw a list of books for the who am I episode (or maybe it was just pictures), but I didn't bookmark it. If not, it might be fun ..."

I'd think it'd be fun to guess the books. I think they may have 5 or 6 in each theme?

message 10: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) What time zone is that?

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Atlanta wrote: "What time zone is that?"

I can't find the link that Joy posted, but it's on 8:00 PM Eastern Standard time on my local TV Station. It's repeated earlier on the 13th too.

Check with your public television station to see what time it is in your area.

message 12: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Aug 26, 2018 07:17PM) (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Atlanta wrote: "What time zone is that?"

I can't find the link that Joy posted, but it's on 8:00 PM Eastern Standard time on my local TV Station. It's repeated earlier on the 13th too.

Check wit..."

I'm Eastern Time. I just pulled the schedule from my local PBS station, so I'm not sure if it'll be broadcast at 8pm in every time zone or if it'll be an 8pm/7pm Central time sort of deal.

Even when I lived in Central time I never got used to the tv scheduling, so I'm practically hopeless now.

message 13: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Looks like it is one of those 8/7c things. I'm sure it'd be on at 8 pm on the west coast as well, because that's how these things usually work.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american...

message 14: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Thanks J. I must have been blind to miss that link.

message 15: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Thanks J. I must have been blind to miss that link."

I don't know if I posted it ... Because I couldn't find it. I had to look in my browser history to pull it up again.

message 16: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) Thanks and can we watch it on our laptop? I don't have a tv.

message 17: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Atlanta wrote: "Thanks and can we watch it on our laptop? I don't have a tv."

I believe so. The first one is online. That's how I watched it.

message 18: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Atlanta wrote: "Thanks and can we watch it on our laptop? I don't have a tv."

Yes, they have many clips and interviews you can watch online, plus the whole TV show that aired in May.

message 19: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Fall Kick-off

ABOUT THIS EPISODE
Meredith Vieira returns as the Great American Read hits high gear. You spent the summer reading and voting for your favorite novels, now tune in to see which books celebrities, authors, and other readers across the country are rooting for.

FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE
David Baldacci, Christopher Bollen, Barbara Bush, Chelsea Clinton, Gillian Flynn, Diana Gabaldon, Henry Louis Gates Jr., Lauren Graham, John Green, Jenna Bush Hager, Carla Hayden, Walter Isaacson, Bill T. Jones, Devon Kennard, Gayle King, Chris Kluwe, Diane Lane, George Lopez, George R.R. Martin, Armistead Maupin, Aline Brosh McKenna, Leland Melvin, Cynthia Nixon, Shaquille O’Neal, Sarah Jessica Parker, James Patterson, Shanna Peeples, Jason Reynolds, Parul Sehgal, Nicholas Sparks, Lesley Stahl, Baratunde Thurston, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Gabrielle Union, Ming-Na Wen, Wil Wheaton, Venus Williams, Allison Williams

message 20: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

The website already lists the books that will be featured. I wonder if they'll do that for every episode.

https://www.pbs.org/the-great-america...

message 21: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Hey everyone, check out the link above to see which books will be featured on Sept 11, and check the list above that to see who will be interviewed.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments So does that mean we write off Flynn, Martin, Sparks, Patterson as potential winners? :)
Some of these actors/singers seem so random, you wonder where they pulled them from.....

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Looks like they're knocking out many of the children's books in that episode.

message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) PBS has posted the top 10 list! None of my favorites are on it. ☹️

message 25: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)