The Great American Read discussion

Old Posts 2018 > What's the plan? Updated June 2

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 06:15AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
June 2 see preliminary schedule below
----------
June 1 update

Welcome everyone. We're ONE WEEK old, and I'm thrilled to see you all here. We have ambitious goals but the main one is to help provide a friendly place for people to read and discuss the Great American Read 100 books.

GROUP READS: Our first two GROUP READS are:
1984 and Looking for Alaska

We will keep each Group Read discussion in the active arena for one month. New - the discussions will remain open for the duration of the project (or this group). We discussed starting a new read about every two weeks. We need your feedback to let us know if this pace works for you.

STARTING UP
This group is still "under construction" so please forgive us for the confusion and mess, as we recreate, restructure, and move things around. This has all moved very quickly and we are continuing to grow. We want your feedback and ideas to help make this better. Unlike most groups, we have 100 books that people might want to discuss, but we need a better way to organize them into smaller groups. EDIT - I deleted the ones without discussions.

MODERATORS: Your current moderators are NancyJ and Loretta.
Marnie started the group, but had to leave soon after to take care of a family crisis. Loretta just joined me. She brings a great deal of experience moderating other boards.

VOLUNTEER ROLES: If you'd like to help create something cool, please speak up and let us know!
*Would you like to volunteer to facilitate a group discussion?
*Champion an out-reach plan to help spread the joy of reading for fun? *Would you like to work on group challenges?
*Or do you have a new creative idea?
*Do you have an idea for how to organize all the book discussion topics or other things? (How are they doing it on the PBS show?)
*Do you have a flair for great visuals?

UPCOMING CALENDAR: I would like to create an upcoming calendar to give us all more advanced notice of upcoming reads. We will use nominations and polls to select the books. We will also try to consider other factors, such as book size, genre, YA vs adult, and other schedules to create a little balance if possible. Perhaps we can have one long book per month.

Because of time pressures and fast growth, I'd prefer to things fairly flexible as we create a workable plan.

Let's keep the discussions friendly and respectful. The list was designed to be inclusive of many different subsets of our culture.
We might not have the same favorites, and that's a good thing.

Please keep in mind that each and every book on this list is beloved or special to someone, regardless of our own definition of what makes a book great.

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Hey NancyJ,
What if I've already read the first two books on the list?

message 3: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 01:36AM) (new)

Beverly wrote: "Hey NancyJ, What if I've already read the first two books on the list?"

Good for you! Which books do you most WANT to read?

I'll try to figure out the June 15 book soon.

You can get a head start on one of our future reads by looking at the books leading in the nominations.

Or go the opposite route and pick something that we're not likely to vote for soon -such as a really well known book that most have read, or maybe a sci-fi book.

Also - I'm going to challenge everyone to pick one LONG book from the list.

message 4: by Tasha (new)

Tasha You are so organized, Nancy! I'm looking forward to seeing how this group grows and develops.

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Tasha wrote: "You are so organized, Nancy! I'm looking forward to seeing how this group grows and develops."

Thanks Tasha, I'm working on it.

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 04:24PM) (new)

JUNE 2 UPDATE - Tentative Schedule

Group Reads

June 1 - June 30 (threads will remain open for comments afterward, so read at your own pace). 1984, and Looking for Alaska

June 3 Poll to determine June 15 read
June ? Poll to determine July 1 read

June 15 - New Group Read starts

July 1 - New Group Read starts - Potential "big" book July 1 or 15?

July 15 - New Group Read starts

Aug 1 - New Group Read starts

Aug 15 - New Group Read starts - Genre focus?

Sept 1 - New Group Read starts - Genre focus?

message 7: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne I’m wondering how long each book will be left open for comments after the read. I for one do intend to read all of them but I do not see me getting through all of them by the end of the summer.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments Hopefully the discussions will not ever "lock". I like to go back and check in and add my own comments - so I can participate as able. Sometimes discussions get totally revived that way, and if it's ever a re-read it's a nice reference as well. My. $.02.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Colleen wrote: "Hopefully the discussions will not ever "lock". I like to go back and check in and add my own comments - so I can participate as able. Sometimes discussions get totally revived that way, and if it'..."

I agree with that!

message 10: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments Thanks Loretta. :)

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Absolutely. We also have discussion threads farther down the page for many of the more popular books. The really popular books aren't getting a lot of nominations because people are focused on books they haven't read yet, but you can still make comments and discuss them. We originally had all 100 up, but it was too cumbersome.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris | 55 comments I'm always game to join in discussions. Unfortunately this came after I committed to a HUGE summer reading challenge, plus I help out the library in monitoring their summer reading program. Back to that old cliché of too many books, too little time. But I will vicariously "read" with you through the posts!