Mock Printz 2023 discussion

Picture Us in the Light
This topic is about Picture Us in the Light
Mock Printz 2019 > June: Picture Us in the Light by Kelly Loy Gilbert

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) | 86 comments Kelly Loy Gilbert’s debut novel was a Morris Award Finalist. Does Picture Us in the Light, her sophomore novel, have a shot at Printz?

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 53 comments I've been reading this title, and am finding it slow going. I've actually put it down now to read another book, and will pick it back up afterwards.

message 3: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments Elissa, that's a bummer! What about it is making it slow for you? Pacing? Characters? Have you read Conviction by her, as well? If so, was that reading experience a different one?

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 53 comments Have not read Conviction. I think it's mostly the pacing with this. A very slow reveal of what's going on (and I have a guess, but am not that motivated to find out). There's some confusion for me about where in time we are early on. The 3 main characters are also not completely distinct in some ways. I know that others are having a different experience with this, though, so it just may not be the right book for me right now.

message 5: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments I understand that! Sometimes books just aren't right for us in that moment! I'm curious if you do keep going if it picks up for you, or if you try again later how that experience goes!

Tara Kenny | 9 comments This book was a huge disappointment for me. I found my mind wandering and didn't find myself invested in the characters at all. I would have loved for Daniel's parents story to have been far more prominent than his day to day life.

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 53 comments I did end up really liking this, but it took over halfway through for me to become invested. I read another book, and liked it much better when I came back. I thought the ending was pretty great.

message 8: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments Tara, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it! Other than Daniel's parents, what do you think could have been changed for you to enjoy it more?

Elissa, I'm glad you wound up liking it! What changed your mind as you went on?

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 53 comments The beginning just seemed more disjointed to me, and I was having trouble staying engaged. Sometimes that happens to me with a book, and I usually don't think this is totally the book's fault, but something on my end also. Can't really explain it better than that. I don't remember much about the beginning of this one, but I remember a lot about the end.

message 10: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara Kenny | 9 comments I think maybe I had high expectations because of the book description. I thought we were going to go through this large family drama and all of it's impacts. And really, it just followed Daniel through his last year of high school, with tiny insights into the past family drama that Daniel knew nothing about. And for me unfortunately, Daniel's last year of high school was utterly boring. I could only read a couple pages at a time before I found my mind wandering, I couldn't get invested in the characters that didn't really seem to have very many problems.

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Bennett (headfullofbooks) | 81 comments Though I had a hard time getting going on this book, stalling out around pages 40-60, I finally got the traction I needed to finish it. I mentally dogeared pages I wanted to return to and was really touched by the ending and the resolution. Those moments of brilliance might be Printz-worthy but the other parts of the book will keep it off the podium, me thinks.

message 12: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments Tara, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. :(
Anne, what was it that caught your attention and changed your mind?

It's been really interesting hearing how different this title is for everyone! Do you think it will be hit or miss with young readers, too?

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Bennett (headfullofbooks) | 81 comments Tegan wrote: "Tara, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. :(
Anne, what was it that caught your attention and changed your mind?

It's been really interesting hearing how different this title is for everyone! Do you th..."

I think the first chapter set the stage for what we should expect. The quantum entanglements experiment. Two objects which are attached in some way become entangled even when they move away from each other. Danny was so attached to his parents, even when it was obvious they weren't making good decisions, attached to friends, even the one who was dead, attached to the long-gone sister. If viewed through this lens, i think the story takes on a new hue. My review, if you want to know more of my thoughts, will be posted tomorrow on my blog: My Head is Full of Books.

message 14: by Reving (new)

Reving | 53 comments Not on audio so I haven't been able to read it yet :(