I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (June 2018)

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 641 comments Mod
Have you read anything good (or bad) this month? Anything the IRCB folks should talk about on the show? Let us know! Share your regular readings of comics, manga, collections, OGNs, and other comics here!

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments So far this month, we got some good stuff

U.S.Avengers Vol. 2: Cannonball Run - FInally read the last few issues of this series, I hope to follow the original New Mutants unto their next book.
Redneck, Vol. 2: The Eyes Upon You - I love this Book, Donny cates keeps killing it and i found a really cool Easter egg.
Superwoman Vol. 2: Rediscovery - this book is a bit Lukewarm for me the original hook was pretty cool in Volume 1, i will finish reading the series since i am getting on Hoopla.
Venom Vol. 3: Lethal Protector - Blood in the Water
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 7
Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Vol. 3 - Always love to catch up on Spider Related books.
Generation X, Vol. 2: Survival of the Fittest - Finally finished reading this, i had been dreading not having anymore Gen-X to read, but i loved the ending.
The Kamandi Challenge - read the second half of this crazy book. I have never read anything like this, tons of amazing creators that went ful Kirby on these stories.
X-Men Red Vol. 1: The Hate Machine - This is the BEST X-Men book currently going on and I Love it, i love the team, sad to see the artist changing for the next arc but the stakes have been raised.

message 3: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Just finished:

Giant Days 5

Mister Miracle Vol 1 (individual issues): sooooooo good

Sandman Endless Nights

Super Sons Parent Trap (individual issues)

Batman Tom King vol 7: very good.

message 4: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

You'll hear about this on the show this week, but I read a TON of Star Wars comics (the new Marvel stuff). All I can say is:

GRAKKUS THE HUTT IS THE BEST SIDE-VILLIAN EVER.

message 5: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Wing Kee wrote: "Just finished:

Giant Days 5

Mister Miracle Vol 1 (individual issues): sooooooo good

Sandman Endless Nights

Super Sons Parent Trap (individual issues)

Batman Tom King vol 7: very good."

Man! I really need to read Super Sons!

message 6: by kaitlphere (last edited Jun 11, 2018 08:00PM) (new)

kaitlphere | 235 comments Mod
I managed to mess up my back while on vacation, so I read some comics! Luckily, I had packed The Prince and the Dressmaker and Angelic, Vol. 1: Heirs & Graces.

The Prince and the Dressmaker was everything I had been told it would be. The characters are fairly complex, the art is whimsical, and I wanted to read this again as soon as I finished it!

Angelic was better than I was expecting. Not quite as good as Spurrier's Cry Havoc, but better than God Shaper. Machine-animal hybrids become self-aware and one curious monkey starts exploring the ruins the humans who developed her. I recommend it if you like Spurrier or animal fantasy!

message 7: by Francis (last edited Jun 12, 2018 06:44AM) (new)

Francis | 134 comments I'll be getting Domino #3, I've quickly become a fan of this character after two issues, and seeing Deadpool 2 in the cinema last week.

I'm in the middle of reading Bitch Planet vol. 2 and Maggie the Mechanic: The Love and Rockets Library - Locas Book 1

My wife bought me I Kill Giants as a gift and I bought Nimona for the group Book of the month.

Just finished reading The Vision by Tom King, which was very good, King has a really unique voice in his writing, which has a detachment that worked very well with Vision, that I'm not sure befits Batman in the same manner.

message 8: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Jun 12, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

Francis wrote: "I'll be getting Domino #3, I've quickly become a fan of this character after two issues, and seeing Deadpool 2 in the cinema last week.

I'm in the middle of reading Bitch Planet vol. 2 and Maggie..."

King's Vision sold me on trying dang near ANYTHING he writes now (I'm hooked on his Batman and his Mister Miracle).

message 9: by Francis (new)

Francis | 134 comments Mike wrote: "Francis wrote: "I'll be getting Domino #3, I've quickly become a fan of this character after two issues, and seeing Deadpool 2 in the cinema last week.

I'm in the middle of reading Bitch Planet v..."

I'll need to try something else King has written out, I know Mr Miricle has been getting good reviews, but is there anything else by him you'd recommend?

message 10: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Jun 12, 2018 02:48PM) (new)

Francis wrote: "Mike wrote: "Francis wrote: "I'll be getting Domino #3, I've quickly become a fan of this character after two issues, and seeing Deadpool 2 in the cinema last week.

I'm in the middle of reading B..."

If you want to stray from super hero books, his The Sheriff of Babylon, Volume 1: Bang. Bang. Bang. is supposed to be GREAT (I haven't read it, but a quick search for it will show raving reviews).

message 11: by Daniel (last edited Jun 12, 2018 02:48PM) (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Francis wrote: "Mike wrote: "Francis wrote: "I'll be getting Domino #3, I've quickly become a fan of this character after two issues, and seeing Deadpool 2 in the cinema last week.

I'm in the middle of reading B..."

Second Mikes comment
His Sheriff of Babylon book is pretty great and it also Features Mitch Gerards, also Omega Men.

message 12: by Francis (last edited Jun 12, 2018 02:48PM) (new)

Francis | 134 comments Daniel wrote: "Francis wrote: "Mike wrote: "Francis wrote: "I'll be getting Domino #3, I've quickly become a fan of this character after two issues, and seeing Deadpool 2 in the cinema last week.

I'm in the mid..."

Cool, I'll add them to my to read pile, thanks.

message 13: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Comic shop run:

Titans Special 1- after No Justice, Nightwing forms a new team to deal with superhumans suddenly getting new powers.
Thor 1- the Thunder God returns, but still lacks Mjonlir. What's he going to do?
Suicide Squad 43- the Batman/Deadshot team up continues
Star Wars: Thrawn 5- the rise of the Grand Admiral continues
Xena 5- Xena and Gabby team up to fight Callisto
Quicksilver: No Surrender 2- Pietro is still stuck in hyperfast mode dealing with monsters no one else can see
Man of Steel 3- Bendis continues his Superman miniseries with a tragic attack at the Fortress
Detective Comics 982- Deacon Blackfire is back.
New Mutants: Dead Souls 4- things take a weird twist as the team deals with a loss... or do they?
Hawkman 1- another look at the long, long past of Carter Hall, with some help from Madame Xanadu

and, double dose of Gail Simone this week:
Domino 3- The weridness of Topaz continues and Dom turns to a very unexpected teacher
Plastic Man 1/6- Gail takes a look at parts of Plas' past in a new adventure.

message 14: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Wayland wrote: "Comic shop run:

Titans Special 1- after No Justice, Nightwing forms a new team to deal with superhumans suddenly getting new powers.
Thor 1- the Thunder God returns, but still lacks Mjonlir. What..."

I know NOTHING about Plastic Man, but I really want to try this new series if only because Gail Simone is on the book. Let me know how it is!

message 15: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments I liked the first issue, Mike. Then again, I'm a Gail fanboy, so I may be biased.

message 16: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Mike wrote: "I know NOTHING about Plastic Man, but I really want to try this new series if only because Gail Simone is on the book. Let me know how it is!"

There's not much to know. He used to be a criminal named Eel O'Brien. He got some chemicals dumped on him during a heist and decided to became good when his gang left him behind. Basically, if you've read any of Grant Morrison's JLA, you know all you need to know.

message 17: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Chad wrote: "Mike wrote: "I know NOTHING about Plastic Man, but I really want to try this new series if only because Gail Simone is on the book. Let me know how it is!"

There's not much to know. He used to be ..."

But I've read NONE of Grant Morrison's JLA!

message 18: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Wayland wrote: "I liked the first issue, Mike. Then again, I'm a Gail fanboy, so I may be biased."

Is this issue a good jumping on point?

message 19: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Mike wrote: "Wayland wrote: "I liked the first issue, Mike. Then again, I'm a Gail fanboy, so I may be biased."

Is this issue a good jumping on point?"

I think so. Especially with Chad's recap above.

message 20: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Mike wrote: "But I've read NONE of Grant Morrison's JLA!"

You should remedy that. Basically Plastic Man is Bugs Bunny with Mr. Fantastic's powers. There's not much else to the character.

message 21: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Chad wrote: "Mike wrote: "But I've read NONE of Grant Morrison's JLA!"

You should remedy that. Basically Plastic Man is Bugs Bunny with Mr. Fantastic's powers. There's not much else to the character."

Sure there is. He's mutated so far from standard human that magnetic powers don't work on him (as Dr. Polaris found out) and he's immune to telepathy/mind control (as a few different JLA foes learned).

message 22: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Gotcha. That's a lotta JLA! lol

message 23: by Sun Goddess Moon Witch (last edited Jun 14, 2018 04:48PM) (new)

Sun Goddess Moon Witch | 1 comments I just finished Mark Millar's Empress and am starting Kristen Gudsnuk's Henchgirl. I LOVED Empress and Henchgirl is pretty good so far!

Empress Book One by Mark Millar

Henchgirl by Kristen Gudsnuk

message 24: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Dove into The Weatherman #1 yesterday and it was a very ride. Very much a book you don't realize is done until you get to the last page and yell "NO WAY. THAT CAN'T BE IT."

I recommend it.

message 25: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Quick update, Good stuff this past few days.

Nightwing Vol. 5: Raptor's Revenge
Jim Henson's Tale of Sand - this was out Local Book club book.
Snotgirl, Vol. 2: California Screaming - I love Lottie! She is the worst lol
Cable, Volume 2: The Newer Mutants - This included a story with the Externals, other than Selene, I am not very familiar with the others.
Superwoman Vol. 3: The Midnight Hour - this book was good but not as good as its own first volume.
Supergirl: Being Super - I really enjoy this book, a bit of a different take on Supergirl, and maybe we will get a sequel. Also Joelle Jones does an AMAZING work. I love it

message 26: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Daniel wrote: "Quick update, Good stuff this past few days.

[book:Snotgirl, Vol...."

AGH! I need to read volume 2 of Snotgirl!!!

message 27: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Mike wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Quick update, Good stuff this past few days.

[book..."

I really enjoy Snotgirl, its not consistent enough for me to pull it, but i always read it once its available on the Hoopla library app

message 28: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic run:

X-Men Gold 30- the wedding.. sorta
Iron Man 1- a new start and a new team and I really kinda liked it
Shanghai Red 1- a rare Image buy for me, piracy and vengeance in the 1800's
Green Hornet 4- the chase continues internationally as the team goes to Hong Kong
Champions 21- a fight with heroes and a new team member
Avengers 3- is Loki behind the Celestials?
Ant-Man and the Wasp- the unlikely pair in the multiverse
Aquaman 37- the fight against Rath continues
Man of Steel 4- the big fight against the alien dstroyer
Champions: Infinity Countdown- Warbringer is back
Justice League 2- putting the team together and a new threat

message 29: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Wayland wrote: "This week's comic run:

X-Men Gold 30- the wedding.. sorta
Iron Man 1- a new start and a new team and I really kinda liked it
Shanghai Red 1- a rare Image buy for me, piracy and vengeance in the 18..."

A Rare Image Buy! I feel like there's a story here. What'd you think of the book?

message 30: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments I liked it. Then again, I like pirates and the story was well written. I've been reading comics long enough to remember then Image first started, and they really didn't impress me initially. Their original concept seemed to be "Cool over making sense." But that's me.

Shanghai Red intrigued me enough to keep with it for a while.

message 31: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Wayland wrote: "I've been reading comics long enough to remember then Image first started, and they really didn't impress me initially. Their original concept seemed to be "Cool over making sense." But that's me. "

I strongly urge you to give Image a second chance. They've completely changed their image (Yeah, I had to do it!) and diversified away from only super-heroes (which they were never great at.) IMO, they consistently publish some of the best comics created over the last 5-10 years.

message 32: by Scott (last edited Jun 25, 2018 07:56PM) (new)

Scott I read "Uber" #1 trade paperback. It's super dark and violent, kind of creeped me out. Artwork is wonderful though.

I read "Curse Words #1" trade paperback. Very funny, highly recommend.

message 33: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Scott wrote: "I read "Curse Words #1" trade paperback. Very funny, highly recommend."

I'll second Curse Words. It's a fun series.

message 34: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Chad wrote: diversified away from only super-heroes (which they were never great at.

I get that, but with very few exceptions, hero comics are what I read. And yeah, their early stuff I looked at with a critical eye and was just thinking "Ummm.... no. That doesn't work."

message 35: by Daniel (last edited Jun 26, 2018 07:32AM) (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Lots of X-Men as i caught up to the Events of X-Men Gold #30

X-Men Gold, Vol. 4: The Negative Zone War
X-Men Gold, Vol. 5: Cruel and Unusual
X-Men Gold, Vol. 6: Til Death Do Us Part.
Also
Rogue & Gambit: Ring of Fire - Really fun and solid book for any fan of this couple

Lastly a bit of a different book
Gotham City Garage Vol. 1 - What if Mad Max Dystopina future with Motorcycles happened to be populated by DC characters?

message 36: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Another week, another comic book run:

Man of Steel 5/6- the new villain plans to purge anything Kryptonian related, and carries that to a ridiculous extreme
Legenderry Red Sonja 5/5- the mini ends as Sonja loses something big but finds herself in an interesting new place to end the series.
Detective Comics 983- Batman's allies are being hunted, and he's putting together a new team
Mera, Queen of Atlantis 5/6- Ocean Master finds a new and creative way to betray those closest to him
Moon Knight 196- So what happens when a collective mind tries to take in someone with multiple personalities? Nothing good...
Multiple Man 1- speaking of multiple personalities...
Ms. Marvel 31- Kamala tries to have a sleep over with her friends, but the world won't leave her alone.
Red Sonja 17- the tale behind Sonja's blade
The Terrifics 3- a new twist on one hero's origin is bad news for the team
Thor 2- war comes to Hel and Thor and his brothers are stuck in the middle.

message 37: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 220 comments This month I’ve been catching up on single issues of series I put on hold since December. So lots of my favourite series that I’m following.

I also started and finished The Woods and Outcast. The Woods was very fun and I would recommend it, but Outcast was very underwhelming. I read all of Cardcaptor Sakura, started the new series, and started Tokyo Ghoul, which is surprisingly well done. Today I started reading Redneck. I’m not too sure about this one. Not a fan. This month I’m trying to keep things light and fun.

Curse Words looks good! I’ll hopefully check it out in the near future.

message 38: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Whitney wrote: "Today I started reading Redneck. I’m not too sure about this one. Not a fan."

I didn't care much for Redneck either. Have you tried Babyteeth? It's by Danny Cates too but much better. It's about a teenager who gives birth to the antichrist and has to go on the run with her baby.

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott Started 'Kill or Be Killed', beginning is intense and dark. Just what I was expecting.

message 40: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Scott wrote: "Started 'Kill or Be Killed', beginning is intense and dark. Just what I was expecting."

I just read issue #20 (the final issue this week)! OMG what an ending! :D

message 41: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Whitney wrote: "This month I’ve been catching up on single issues of series I put on hold since December. So lots of my favourite series that I’m following.

I also started and finished The Woods and Outcast. The ..."

Rene (from the show) LOVES Tokyo Ghoul. Maybe I'll try it out once I catch up on Haikyu!!

Redneck wasn't a big seller for me, but Donny Cates is a fantastic writer. I loved Buzzkill and The Paybacks Volume 1: Payback's A Bitch

message 42: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 220 comments Chad wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Today I started reading Redneck. I’m not too sure about this one. Not a fan."

I didn't care much for Redneck either. Have you tried Babyteeth? It's by Danny Cates too but much bett..."

I'm about to start on volume 2 of Redneck now (decided not to quit). I actually really liked issue 6, so it may be picking up for me!

Omg, Babyteeth sounds so twisted; I need to read this! I am getting so many recs from you guys, it's awesome :D

message 43: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 220 comments Mike wrote: "Rene (from the show) LOVES Tokyo Ghoul. Maybe I'll try it out once I catch up on Haikyu!!

Redneck wasn't a big seller for me, but Donny Cates is a fantastic writer. I loved Buzzkill and The Paybacks Volume 1: Payback's A Bitch."

I'm only on volume 5 of Tokyo Ghoul, but every book has been better than the last. I was skeptical of it at first, but it's great!

Haikyu!! That one is at the top of my reading wishlist. There are just too many mangas out there and not enough time!

I will definitely look into Donny Cates' other series. He seems to be a very popular one.

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 581 comments Mod
I just (finally) finished Avengers: Unleashed Vol. 1: Kang War One. It was pretty underwhelming. The plot was pretty interesting, but I expected better dialogue from Waid. Del Mundo's art is beautiful but often too busy with the number of heroes on the page. It isn't well suited to this story at all, imo. I gave the trade 3/5.

Do any of you have recommendations on better Avengers trades I could try, as a newbie to their team books?

message 45: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Kate wrote: "Do any of you have recommendations on better Avengers trades I could try, as a newbie to their team books? "

Marvel recently republished Bendis's complete run. New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis This is where I'd start. It's where the Avengers resurgence began. The title had been left to flounder throughout the 80's and 90's. Jonathan Hickman's run immediately following is pretty good too but a little too dark and cosmic at times to follow.

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 581 comments Mod
Chad wrote: "Marvel recently republished Bendis's complete run. New Avengers by Brian M..."

Thank you, I will check it out!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.