The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 20.3 - Best Review - TrishhartUK's Task:Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2018 01:44AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
20.3 - Best Review - TrishhartUK's Task: Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

Okay, so a slight stretch for this season’s theme, but I have seen it on stage, and it does have “musical” in the title! This classic prog rock concept album is one of my all-time favourites. The original recording was released forty years ago, in June 1978, and is one of the top-50 best-selling UK albums of all time. Read one book from one of the following options. REQUIRED: State the option you chose.

Option1: The album is based on the classic HG Wells science fiction story. Read a book with the MPG Classics, standalone or embedded.

Option 2: The original cast comprised: Richard Burton, Justin Hayward, David Essex, Chris Thompson, Phil Lynott, Julie Covington, and Jerry Wayne. Read a book whose author shares a first or last name with Jeff Wayne, or one of the original performers. The names must be identical, with two exceptions: Philip can be used as well as Phil, and Christopher can be used as well as Chris. One qualifying author in a book with multiple authors is fine.

Option 3: In 2006, Jeff Wayne took “The War of the Worlds” on tour for the first time, with a projection of Richard Burton as the Journalist. I was lucky enough to see it at Wembley Arena, and it was quite a sight, especially the 35ft tall Martian tripod. Its mix of rock and classical music is played live by, respectively, the Black Smoke Band and the ULLAdubULLA orchestra.

Read a book where the initial letters of all the words in the title (but not the subtitle, and including articles, but ignoring numbers written as numbers) can be found in EITHER BLACK SMOKE BAND or ULLADUBULLA ORCHESTRA (but not a combination of both). The title must have at least 3 words.

Option 4: In 2012, Jeff Wayne decided to update the album with a more modern sound and feel, and new cast members such as Liam Neeson, Joss Stone and Gary Barlow, who would be better known to younger audiences. The new version was released as “Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds – The New Generation”.

Read a book with the MPG Retellings, standalone or embedded.

message 2: by Trish (last edited Jul 15, 2018 10:56PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2698 comments Brave new world (i.e. do work)

Option 1: Classics
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams (3,192 users as of 03/06/18))
Little Boy Lost, Marghanita Laski, (10 users as of 07/06/18)
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden, Joanne Greenberg (100 users as of 16/07/18)

Option 4: Retellings
Mr. Rochester, Sarah Shoemaker (25 users as of 03/06/18)

message 3: by Trish (last edited Jun 18, 2018 03:52AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2698 comments Forever autumn (i.e. don't work)

Option 1: Classics (or not)
The Great Divorce , CS Lewis as of 18/06/18

Option 4: Retellings (or not)
Out, Proud, and Prejudiced, Megan Roddaway as of 13/06/18

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Can you please verify:

Mr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker

for Option 4: Retellings

Thanks!

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2698 comments Pia wrote: "Can you please verify: Mr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker for Option 4: Retellings

Thanks!"

Verified!

message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4261 comments Please verify Classics for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as it is the last in the MPG list.

message 8: by Trish (last edited Jun 03, 2018 05:47AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2698 comments Bea wrote: "Please verify Classics for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as it is the last in the MPG list."

It wouldn't have occurred to me to shelve that as Classics, but I guess it is! And it's a great book. I've added it to the approved message.

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments Please verify Little Boy Lost for Classics? Thank you!

message 10: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2698 comments Valerie wrote: "Please verify Little Boy Lost for Classics? Thank you!"

Confirmed for classics.

message 11: by Bea (last edited Jun 10, 2018 05:07AM) (new)

Bea | 4261 comments Trish wrote: "It wouldn't have occurred to me to shelve that as Classics, but I guess it is!"

Ha, ha! I seem to have a talent for finding books on the Classics shelf that aren't the usually thought-of books!

message 12: by Anwen (last edited Jun 12, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

Anwen Ross (anwenross) | 32 comments Please confirm Out, Proud, and Prejudiced by Megan Reddaway for MPG - Retellings

message 13: by Trish (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:30AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2698 comments I'm afraid Retellings isn't showing as an MPG on either of the PCs I've checked it on, so I'm going to have to say no to this one as of 13/06/18. If it shows up later in the challenge, give me a shout and I'll revisit it.

message 14: by Anwen (new)

Anwen Ross (anwenross) | 32 comments Yes, it's gone now. I'll try again if/when it comes back.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 386 comments Would The Great Divorce work for option 1 as a classic?

message 16: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2698 comments Heather wrote: "Would The Great Divorce work for option 1 as a classic?"

Sorry, but no. I don't see "Classics" as an MPG on either of the desktops I've checked.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 386 comments Thanks! I just figured out what MPG means, so it was my mistake!

Trish wrote: "Heather wrote: "Would The Great Divorce work for option 1 as a classic?"

Sorry, but no. I don't see "Classics" as an MPG on either of the desktops I've checked."

message 18: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Hi, could you verify I Never Promised You a Rose Garden for Classics please? Thank you!

message 19: by Trish (last edited Jul 15, 2018 10:57PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2698 comments Cait S wrote: "Hi, could you verify I Never Promised You a Rose Garden for Classics please? Thank you!"

I see Classics as an MPG with 100 users, so that's fine. It is the bottom one on the list, though, so you may want to tell the mods that you had it confirmed - I've listed it in message #2 for you.