The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 25.3 - Diana K's Task: Hamilton

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5329 comments Mod
25.3 - Diana K’s Task: Hamilton

A few years ago the innovative musical Hamilton caused quite a sensation on Broadway becoming the must-have ticket, breaking box office records, and bringing to prominence an often forgotten founding father . Blending hip hop music, ballads, jazz, show tunes and more into the Broadway format to tell a story that blends history and current events with a non-traditional cast, Hamilton is a once-in-a-generation phenomenon that won 11 Tony awards and the Pulitzer Prize. And being a booklover, how can I not love the fact that its creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda, was inspired to create the musical after reading a biography of Alexander Hamilton, by Ron Chernow, while on vacation.

While I haven’t been lucky enough yet to get tickets to see it, I have seen several of the musical numbers performed on TV and I love listening to the soundtrack.

This is a two-book task. Read one book from two different options.
REQUIRED: Identify which options you select when you post.
No books with the genre Childrens or Kids may be used.

Option 1: Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote a rap about Hamilton after reading his biography that he performed at the White House in 2009. That rap developed into the opening number for the musical. You can see the lyrics here.
Read a book whose title/subtitle contains a word of at least four letters from the first six paragraphs of the lyrics (through to the first part where Alexander Hamilton sings.) The word must match exactly. REQUIRED: State the word that you are using

Option 2: Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) about one of these major characters in the play or where the character has a major role in the book: Alexander Hamilton, Eliza Schuyler, Angelica Schuyler, Aaron Burr, George Washington, King George III, Marquis de Lafayette, or Thomas Jefferson. REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the title or the description, please explain how the character has a major role.

Option 3: A memorable line from the lyrics is “Immigrants, we get the job done.” Alexander Hamilton was born in the British West Indies. Lin-Manuel Miranda is of Puerto Rican ancestry. Read a book set at least 75% in the Caribbean. For purposes of this task, use the list found here to determine the appropriate locations.
REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting.

Option 4: Read a book where the Title/subtitle contains all of the letters in HAMILTON.

Option 5: Hamilton: An American Musical first opened in New York City in 2015. After its smashing success there, productions were opened in London and Chicago. Read a book set at least 50% in one of these three cities. REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting. Specify the city in which your book is set.

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Reserved

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5329 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 6: by Charlston (new)

Charlston Goch (list_addict) | 149 comments Not sure if this is a silly question but for option 1, the lyrics have the word ‘fourteen’. Can I use 14 by JT Ellison if its title is in numeric form? Thanks

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Sorry but no because then it's not a four-letter word.

message 8: by Charlston (new)

Charlston Goch (list_addict) | 149 comments Thanks

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4237 comments If I understand correctly, I can read The Sins of the Father, connecting the word Father in the title to Founding Father in the song lyrics.

message 10: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments That’s right.

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4237 comments Diana wrote: "That’s right."

Thanks.

message 12: by SandyC (last edited Jun 28, 2018 01:38PM) (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 420 comments Are possessives ok for Option 1? EX: The Orphan's Tale

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments I’m sorry but they’re not. The task says it must be an exact match.

message 14: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 420 comments Thank you. No problem.
I’m a little obsessed with Hamilton so I really like your task!

message 15: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1525 comments Just making sure that The Paying GuestsThe paying guest will work for a setting in London.

Thank yoU!

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments From the description on Goodreads, it sounds like it would work.

message 17: by Lost Planet Airman (last edited Aug 14, 2018 02:48PM) (new)

Lost Planet Airman | 179 comments I'm considering Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, if I can verify that 75% of the book takes place in San Lorenzo.

BUT, San Lorenzo is a fictional island in the Caribbean. Is a fictional location going to be a deal-breaker?

Addendum: Sorry! Looking back, I see this is incomplete. I am asking about "Option 3… set at least 75% in the Caribbean." I'll count pages for the 75% and let you know, if you could let me know if a fictional Caribbean island is acceptable (and, sniffle sniffle, I am preparing myself for the heartbreak of finding out that I cannot use the book...)

Addendum #2: Never mind. At best, 72% of the book is on the island or travelling to it...

message 18: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Sorry

message 19: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Is a fictional island acceptable? I was looking at this book
The New Moon's Arms

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments I will allow it.

message 21: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Thanks