READ 100+ BOOKS A YEAR discussion

2018 challenges > June's challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 155 comments Mod
Wow, I finished May's themes. Ok, I was a day late but I finished it. I'll be going to a book conference this month and reading.

Now on to June's themes:

1. Read a book whose author's surname starts with M.
2. Summer's starting so read a book set in summer.
3. Father's Day is this month so read a book written by a father.
4. One of my sisters' birthday is this month so read a book with a cake on the cover.
5. June is National Cat Month so read a book with a cat on the cover.
6. June 12 is Red Rose Day so read a book with a flower on the cover.
7. Read a book of short stories
8. Read a book set in a country where your ancestors lived.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Sheila (last edited Jun 25, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

My reads for June:

3/9, 6 books

1. Read a book whose author's surname starts with M.
2. Summer's starting so read a book set in summer.
3. Father's Day is this month so read a book written by a father--Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann--finished 6/19/18. Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
4. One of my sisters' birthday is this month so read a book with a cake on the cover.
5. June is National Cat Month so read a book with a cat on the cover--Starlight by Erin Hunter--finished 6/14/18. Starlight (Warriors The New Prophecy, #4) by Erin Hunter
6. June 12 is Red Rose Day so read a book with a flower on the cover.
7. Read a book of short stories
8. Read a book set in a country where your ancestors lived.
9. Your choice--An Act of Self-Defense by Erne Lewis--finished 6/1/18. An Act of Self-Defense by Erne Lewis

Bonus:
Epic Survival: Extreme Adventure, Stone Age Wisdom, and Lessons in Living from a Modern Hunter-Gatherer by Matt Graham and Josh Young--finished 6/6/18 Epic Survival Extreme Adventure, Stone Age Wisdom, and Lessons in Living From a Modern Hunter-Gatherer by Matt Graham
The Romance Reader's Guide to Life by Sharon Pywell--finished 6/17/18 The Romance Reader's Guide to Life by Sharon Pywell
The Mercy of the Tide by Keith Rosson--finished 6/25/18 The Mercy of the Tide by Keith Rosson

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) by Tracie Peterson -Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller 6-2-18
This novel is the first book of a historical Christian romance trilogy. It is well written with good character development. I enjoyed the three cousins'--Fanny, Sophie, and Amanda-- close relationship with each other and seeing how each of them grow in faith and find love throughout the three books. This one focuses primarily on Fanny.

Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery, #3) by Janet Bolin -Janet Bolin 6-4-18
This well written novel was the third in a fun cozy mystery series. The characters are well drawn, and they get into the most hilarious and occasionally dangerous circumstances while "not sleuthing" and are often being confronted and embarrassed by the local sheriff or detectives with the state police at almost every turn.

Night of the Living Thread (Threadville Mystery #4) by Janet Bolin -Janet Bolin 6-5-18
This well written novel was the third in a fun cozy mystery series. The characters are well drawn, and they get into the most hilarious and occasionally dangerous circumstances while "not sleuthing" and are often being confronted and embarrassed by the local sheriff or detectives with the state police at almost every turn.

Seven Threadly Sins by Janet Bolin -Janet Bolin 6-6-18
This well written novel was the fifth (and possibly last based on the publication year of this one--ack! I want more!) in a fun cozy mystery series. The characters are well drawn, and they get into the most hilarious and occasionally dangerous circumstances while "not sleuthing" and are often being confronted and embarrassed by the local sheriff or detectives with the state police at almost every turn.

An Unexpected Love (The Broadmoor Legacy, #2) by Tracie Peterson -Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller 6-8-18
This novel is the second book of a historical Christian romance trilogy. It is well written with good character development. I enjoyed the three cousins'--Fanny, Sophie, and Amanda-- close relationship with each other and seeing how each of them grow in faith and find love throughout the three books. This one focuses primarily on Sophie.

To Love and Cherish (Bridal Veil Island, # 2) by Tracie Peterson -Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller 6-10-18
This is a well-written and entertaining historical romance. The characters are well-drawn, and I liked many of them.

A Surrendered Heart (The Broadmoor Legacy, #3) by Tracie Peterson -Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller 6-11-18
This novel is the third and final book of a historical Christian romance trilogy. It is well written with good character development. I enjoyed the three cousins'--Fanny, Sophie, and Amanda-- close relationship with each other and seeing how each of them grow in faith and find love throughout the three books. This one focuses primarily on Amanda.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Scarlet Pimpernel (The Best Mysteries of All Time) by Emmuska Orczy -Baroness Orczy 6-13-18
This is a well written and truly intriguing mystery novel. First published in 1905, it is set during the French Revolution where a daring band of Englishmen, under the direction of a leader known as the Scarlet Pimpernel, make it their business to rescue French aristocrats from the guillotine. In this adventurous, suspenseful novel, we follow Lady Marguerite Blakeney as she seeks to ensure the safety of her beloved brother in return for helping a French agent to discover the identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel, which turns out to be an even more dastardly decision than she had expected. This has been one of my favorite novels since I first read it as a teenager and well deservedly so.

They Called Her Mrs. Doc (Women of the West, #5) by Janette Oke -Janette Oke 6-14-18
This is one of Janette Oke's Christian historical romance novel. As usual, the novel is well written with great character development, and as is often also the case with her novels or series, the novel doesn't just conclude with a wedding but instead travels with the protagonist, Cassandra, through her years of marriage and motherhood as well. I enjoyed Cassandra's learning to rely on God as she struggles to adjust herself to living in the "uncivilized" west (Alberta, Canada) in the early years of her marriage, and by the end of the novel when we see her as an older woman, a grandmother and great grandmother, she hates the idea of leaving her home and her village.

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Rachel wrote: "The Scarlet Pimpernel (The Best Mysteries of All Time) by Emmuska Orczy-Baroness Orczy 6-13-18
This is a well written and truly intriguing mystery novel. First published in 1905, it is set during the French Revolution where a ..."

I've been wanting to read The Scarlet Pimpernel. I'll have to find it at the library.

message 6: by Sheila (new)

If you are looking for a book with beautiful prose and great character development, read The Mercy of the Tide by Keith Rosson. I cannot tell you a genre. It is more a series of vignettes of the four main characters. You really get to know them. It is a little vulgar but the words flow so smoothly.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West, #6) by Janette Oke -Janette Oke 6-15-18
This is one of Janette Oke's Christian historical romance novel. As usual, the novel is well written with great character development, and as is often also the case with her novels or series, the novel doesn't just conclude with a wedding but instead travels with the protagonist, Anna, through her years of marriage and motherhood as well. I enjoyed Anna's journey throughout her early years of marriage not only to a closer faith in God but to a better understanding of her value to God, understanding that while she might be a flawed servant of God, He wants to use her, and even more than that, she realizes that it is not up to her to save others but only to present the Gospel. It is not her fault that someone she tried to reach ultimately rejected God and died; there is no better method she could have used to present the Gospel because the choice was theirs, not hers, and in addition, she is not the Savior, only a messenger. The only thing I have always disliked about this novel is how abruptly it ends. I want more of Anna and Austin, their family and their ministry.

A Worthy Pursuit (A Worthy Pursuit, #1) by Karen Witemeyer -Karen Witemeyer 6-17-18
This was a well written and entertaining, action-packed historical romantic suspense novel. The two main characters had to learn to trust and respect each other within a fairly short time frame, but I didn't feel like their romance was too contrived and thereby unlikely. They might have been physically attracted to each other at first glance, but it took a few days longer along with some intense circumstances for them to truly open up to each other as people on a soul-to-soul level, and despite the brevity of their acquaintance and romance, it felt realistic, and I empathized with them as they dealt with the danger of the enemies who wanted to take Lily.

Full Steam Ahead (Full Steam Ahead, #1) by Karen Witemeyer -Karen Witemeyer 6-18-18
This was a well written and entertaining historical romance novel with a fair thread of action woven throughout the plot also. The characters lived on the page, and I enjoyed seeing how our two protagonists went from butting heads to not wanting to live without each other as they grew to respect and understand each other. I both laughed with them or wanted to knock some sense into them as the story progressed, and I also enjoyed how much better Nicole understood her father at the end. I truly loved this novel.

A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer -Karen Witemeyer 6-18-18
This was a well written historical Christian romance novel. I found the character development to be good and the story to be sweet although I thought Jericho took far too long to get it through his head that beauty and fashion weren't unchristian in and of themselves. So, four stars rather than five mainly because I wanted to wring the male protagonist's neck for most of the book. Petty? Perhaps, but there it is, he drove me nuts. But anyway, the other reason I rated this novel lower than her others was because I thought the homicidal sociopathic jilted suitor part of the plot was a bit over the top. How did no one notice that the storekeeper's son was creepy as all get out before he blamed Hannah for helping Jericho's sister feel beautiful and have the confidence to attract the man she was interested in and attacked her? No one but Jericho thought he was weird, really? However, even with those issues, I did enjoy the novel a lot, so 4 stars it is.

Avalon High by Meg Cabot -Meg Cabot 6-19-18
This was a decent YA novel; most of the characters are rather typical for the genre; i.e., flat, but the writing was pretty good in general. The plot being based on Arthurian legend definitely saved this novel from being dull. Anyway, it was a simple, quick read, and I did like the protagonist, Ellie is pretty salty. So, it's a solid 3 star read for me.

The Case of the Missing Books (Mobile Library Mystery #1) by Ian Sansom -Ian Sansom 6-20-18
I had a hard time rating this book. It is a mystery novel that I read for a challenge because I needed a mystery without a murder. It fulfilled that goal because this mystery is all about an entire library of 25,000 books is missing, and while the concept is amusing, the solution ends up being remarkably stupid. Even though I didn't like our protagonist, librarian and unwilling sleuth, all that much I felt for him at the end for having been so naive as to not have figured it out. And even though I checked to see if the next volume of the series was available at the library, I would have only read it to see if Israel would have grown as a character due to his experiences.

Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear -Jacqueline Winspear 6-22-18
I wasn't entirely sure if I would enjoy this novel when I decided to read it, but I'm so glad I did because I really enjoyed this mystery novel. It is set in post World War England, but the mystery our sleuth is asked to resolve is unexpectedly quite deeply connected to events of the war. Intertwined throughout the novel, we also learn the background of our protagonist, her background and how she became trained as a private investigator. I really enjoyed this novel and will continue reading the series.

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun -Lilian Jackson Braun 6-24-18
So, I have always shied away from these mysteries assuming that they would be stupid. Well, having had to find a mystery where an animal plays an important role, I went ahead and decided to read it, and man, have I deprived myself because of my mistaken assumption. Although the cat in the book is surely slightly exaggerated, since I'm sure that even Siamese cats can't read, forwards or backwards, him bringing Qwilleran to first find a body and later reveals another clue because of wanting his cat toy back are both actually legitimate things a cat would possibly do. Anyway, the book was well written, and the characters were well drawn and interesting. I really enjoyed it and plan to read the rest of the series.

Short-Straw Bride (Archer Brothers, #1) by Karen Witemeyer -Karen Witemeyer 6-24-18
This was a fun, action-filled Christian historical romance novel. The main point of the plot was both unique and sweet. I loved seeing both Travis and Meredith grow as people and truly fall in love after their rushed shotgun wedding.

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2) by Jacqueline Winspear -Jacqueline Winspear 6-26-18
I really enjoyed this mystery novel. It is set in post World War England, but the mystery our sleuth is asked to resolve is unexpectedly quite deeply connected to events of the war. Why have several of a missing heiress's friends been murdered, and did our missing woman merely want to get away from an overbearing father or did she truly feel she was in danger from another quarter? Read the book and find out along with Maisie. I really enjoyed this novel and will continue reading the series.

Simply from Scratch by Alicia Bessette -Alicia Bessette 6-26-18
The genre this novel is tagged as the most on Goodreads is Women's Fiction-Chick Lit. This surprised me a little because I tend to connect the term "chick lit" with light hearted and amusing novels either about friendship or romance and not so much with a more serious novel like this that deals with deep emotions. I won't say that nothing in this novel is amusing, but that description definitely isn't my first thought when thinking of the novel as a whole. It's about grief, depression, forgiveness, friendship, a new attraction, and parenting. It also deals with the fact that past assumptions from childhood about people aren't always accurate when interacting with them as an adult. Perhaps "Women's fiction" although vague is a better label than "chick lit" for this book and others like it and perhaps even for those more lighthearted, amusing, often sassy novels I more readily think of as "chick lit" because the truth found in fiction isn't always serious and more "literary" novels are not inherently better than "silly" ones.

Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie -Ally Condie 6-27-18
So, I have had this Dystopian novel on my to-read list for a long time and have finally gotten around to reading it. It was well written and entertaining with interesting characters. I also liked the twists and turns in the plot. In some ways, it reminded me of The Giver, but not so much so that it felt like a reprise. In any case, I really liked it and plan to finish the trilogy.

Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie -Ally Condie 6-29-18
This is the second book in the Matched trilogy, and I really enjoyed it. It was well written and entertaining with interesting characters. I also liked the twists and turns in the plot. Even though I don't prefer reading e-books, I was thankful that the library had the novel available in a form that I could read. I was able to check it out immediately and download it to our Kindle, which was the first time I have done so and honestly a rather fun and convenient feature, but I will always prefer printed books never mind why. I'm not sure when I will be able to access the last one in the series though, which is a minor nuisance because I have so many more questions about what's going to happen after this second book of the trilogy.

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Rachel wrote: "The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West, #6) by Janette Oke-Janette Oke 6-15-18
This is one of Janette Oke's Christian historical romance novel. As usual, the novel is well written with great character development, a..."

I love the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear.