Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > May 2018 in Reflection - Best and Worst Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 23476 comments Let's reflect on the best and worst of the previous month's books.....

I know I can get so focused on what is next that I forget about all the wonderful books I read for the previous month's challenges! It's June - time for weddings and graduations and summer vacations! Any big plans in your world? We don't have anything major going on this month, and I'm fine with that! Not that there won't be lots going on, just lots of little things. Are you ready for summer?

Did you discover some gems last month? DNF a few? Find your new book boyfriend or a heroine who personifies TSTL? Come on, we all want to know! Was May a great reading month for you?

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments I had a pretty decent May reading-wise; lots of 4 stars reads with the following 5 stars:

There's This Guy by Rhys Ford Tied Up in Knots (Marshals, #3) by Mary Calmes and Finders Keepers by N.R. Walker

No 3 star reads! Not sure if I was just in a good mood or not... :D

Winter has set in a bit more in the last couple of days ~ down to zero which we struggle with!

But otherwise we are planning a walking holiday in England for September! Hmmm - might have to get Fran to announce PtP categories for a few weeks!!!

message 3: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 23476 comments I had a great month in May! I had three 5 Star books and a while bunch that were close to that as well. =)

5 Star Books:
Wanderlust by Lauren Blakely - Loved this one! Probably even more because it was my buddy read book and I got the other person's perspective as well!
Thankless in Death by J.D. Robb - Loved so may parts of this one! The family part was just great!
Deadly Intent by Pamela Clare - It was great to see Joaquin get his happy ending and with a great partner! Pamela Clare writes great books!

Other standouts:
Fighting Solitude by Aly Martinez - So good, had all the feels!
Island of Glass by Nora Roberts - Great end to this trilogy and I love her trilogies!
The Dirt on Ninth Grave by Darynda Jones - I was wondering how this would go and it was another good one!
The Good Luck Sister by Jill Shalvis - So fun and sweet!

No real duds, just a couple that weren't as good as I hoped. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how May treated me!

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 23476 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "But otherwise we are planning a walking holiday in England for September! Hmmm - might have to get Fran to announce PtP categories for a few weeks!!!"

Sounds like fun Jane! I want to get a trip planned for the fall, not sure that is going to happen though - getting my hubby to commit to a plan is impossible!

And I'm sure you can get some help! =P

message 5: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments MountainKat wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "But otherwise we are planning a walking holiday in England for September! Hmmm - might have to get Fran to announce PtP categories for a few weeks!!!"

Sounds like fun Jane! I wan..."

Yes, I'm sure someone will come to the party, won't they Kat *nudge nudge* ;)

Trying to organise my husband isn't much easier, and he only wants to fly on one airline which is quietly driving me nuts since its almost twice the price ~ but he's determined not to miss out this time. He KNOWS I'll go without him if he doesn't get organised ;)

message 6: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 23476 comments I wish I had the nerve to go by myself - it might motivate him. I have traveled alone, but only to go see family.

message 7: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments MountainKat wrote: "I wish I had the nerve to go by myself - it might motivate him. I have traveled alone, but only to go see family."

You can join me on my next solo-trip ;) although there seems to be less talk of this at the moment...

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 97 comments I read a couple of 5-Star books in May:

Born in Death (In Death, #23) by J.D. Robb Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2) by Adele Ashworth

Also had a 4.5-Star book:

The Lovesick Cure by Pamela Morsi

message 9: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:54PM) (new)

MountainKat | 23476 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "You can join me on my next solo-trip ;) although there seems to be less talk of this at the moment... "

Well, keep me in mind when you are planning it! =) Who knows, it might actually work out...

message 10: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11475 comments I only read one book in May but it was a goodie! Very cute and fun- Ain't He Precious? (Sex and Sweet Tea, #1) by Juliette Poe