Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Cozy Q & A > What Themes Do You Read?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Woc Reader (new)

Ms. Woc Reader What cozy themes do you enjoy and which ones do you avoid?

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice | 500 comments Well truthfully I read most of them. Some of my favorites are paranormal of all types, cooking(I love to cook), house fixer uppers and bed and breaksfast. Love Historical cozies

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat Cray-Hollis | 179 comments I am like Alice. I read a variety of different cozies. I love some historical and some of the paranormal only if they deal with ghosts.

I will try a new series once and if I like the book I will give 3 stars but most of the time I give 5 stars. For example Nancy Parra Glutten for Punishment. I read it once and did not like it at all but the other books in the series of I have enjoyed.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 104 comments I enjoy reading cozies set in book shops. I love historical cozies set in the Victorian or Edwardian times. One of my favorites I read last year was The Secrets of Wishtide (A Laetitia Rodd Mystery #1) by Kate Saunders. I hope she comes out with a second book soon.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Am partial to culinary and paranormal cozies, but read a variety. I didn't used to care for historicals, but have gotten interested in several historical series the last couple of years. Am much more picky about picking up new series. Used to pick up almost any new cozy, but there were too many crappy ones, so I got picky.

message 6: by L J (new)

L J | 596 comments Cats, paranormal, books, libraries, bookstores, occasionally book clubs and writing groups. I'll try almost any but theme has to blend with, not overwhelm, mystery. I also enjoy regional and historical settings.
I will drop a book or series if author demonstrates lack of knowledge about theme or setting. Avoid main, or prominent secondary, characters that are tstl, mean, angsty or over the top annoying. I don't mind funny or even outright silly main characters as long as they are smart. If I wouldn't have them in my house I don't want them in my head.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 29 comments I particularly like series centered around a book theme, like book clubs or book shops, etc. I'm not as into paranormal as I was probably 10 years ago but I'll still give them a read from time to time. I also like series that take place in my state, Virginia; though I am trying to read a book set in every state this year.

message 8: by C. (last edited Aug 28, 2018 04:25AM) (new)

C. | 84 comments I enjoy most themes. I've come to love Paranormal themes, and of course those with pets, libraries/librarians, bookstores ,cafes/restaurants/food trucks.

I would really like to find more with gardening, farming, hobby farm/dude ranch, goats, chickens, pet shops/ boarding, and pet birds/parrots, museum/zoo themes.

Would also enjoy Air Force Base setting, in US or overseas, as my Dad was career AF, and I loved our time in Tucson, Arizona, Cheyenne,Wyoming, and England!

About the only themes I have no interest in at all, is anything to do with art/fashhion, lol!

message 9: by Brandi Babcock (new)

Brandi Babcock | 9 comments I'd like to see more cozies about veterinarians, teachers and farmers/ranchers. I'd like to see more healthy life style cozies as well.

message 10: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2866 comments Mod
Brandi wrote: "I'd like to see more cozies about veterinarians, teachers and farmers/ranchers. I'd like to see more healthy life style cozies as well."

The Rachel Goddard series by Sarah Parshall features a veterinarian. First in the series is The Heat of the Moon.
The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1) by Sandra Parshall

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 987 comments Brandi wrote: "I'd like to see more cozies about veterinarians, teachers and farmers/ranchers. I'd like to see more healthy life style cozies as well."

Have you read the Yoga Cafe books? Downward Facing Death by Michelle Kelly Downward Facing Death (Keeley Carpenter #1) by Michelle Kelly is the first.

message 12: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) wrote: "Brandi wrote: "I'd like to see more cozies about veterinarians, teachers and farmers/ranchers. I'd like to see more healthy life style cozies as well."

Have you read the Yoga Cafe books? [book:Dow..."

Ohhh, I didn't know about this one. Love yoga themed cozies. I really, really liked the Mantra for Murder series. Unfortunately there haven't been anymore in that one since 2011. I will definitely order this one.

message 13: by Ashwath (new)

Ashwath | 1 comments Brandi wrote: "I'd like to see more cozies about veterinarians, teachers and farmers/ranchers. I'd like to see more healthy life style cozies as well."

If you want to read about vets and farmers at the same time, I'd definitely recommend James Herriot! His books are set in rural Yorkshire and are in equal parts funny and touching.

If Only They Could Talk is the first book, though it doesn't matter too much which one you start with.

message 14: by Brandi Babcock (new)

Brandi Babcock | 9 comments Thanks for the recs everyone! I'm adding them to my TBR stack right now :)

message 15: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2866 comments Mod
Another yoga themed mystery is the Downward Dog series: Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy Weber

Murder Strikes a Pose (Downward Dog Mystery, #1) by Tracy Weber

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1 comments I love just about anything to do with the English countryside, from Agatha Christie to M. C. Beaton about any era. I avoid mostly the ones with witches and cupcakes though lol I don't know why. My favorite author is Rhys Bowen and my favorite series is the Miss Fortune series by Jana Deleon.

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana | 9 comments I'm like Karen. I also love cozies that are set in the UK and especially in the countryside. I love quirky old ladies as the main character.

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Munger | 226 comments My favorite is cozy mysteries that the MC can see ghost and the ghost help solve the crime. Basically, cozies with ghost in it!

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniewatkins) | 11 comments Paranormal, library settings, historical, and some food.

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 182 comments I’m not big on themes, which too often feel a bit gimicky, at least in the blurbs. But I’ll read nearly anything that sounds interesting, with a higher likelihood that I’ll pick up something historical (especially early 20th century), or a book with an older protag (I do get tired of sweet young things looking for love, though I do enjoy a bit of romance on the side in my mysteries).

I have trouble getting up much interest in chick-lit type books, in urban settings, or ones that are all about fashion or makeup, things about which I’ve never managed to muster an interest.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments OH, the main three are cats, culinary and paranormal. There are a couple out there that hit all three, which is just perfect for me. I also enjoy older protagonists, for instance, the "Miss Marple" series, the "Southern Ladies" series, the "Southern Sisters" series, and the "Mrs. Polifax" series.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 195 comments I love culinary mysteries, especially if they include recipes. I Iove fiber craft mysteries, book themed mysteries, farm mysteries, and historical mysteries! And many others, but those are some that I pick up on sight!

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 195 comments I forgot to add that I love dog themed mysteries and Christian mysteries!

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments OH! I forgot to mention, there is one wonderful series that only ran three books, and features a PLUS SIZED woman, living life to the fullest! We need more of those. Let's celebrate heroines that come in all colors, shapes, sizes and ages!

message 25: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Rebecca wrote: "OH! I forgot to mention, there is one wonderful series that only ran three books, and features a PLUS SIZED woman, living life to the fullest! We need more of those. Let's celebrate heroines that c..."

Have you read Sue Ann Jaffarian's Odelia Grey series? Odelia is a big girl, makes no apologies for it and has a fascinating life!

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments Melodie wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "OH! I forgot to mention, there is one wonderful series that only ran three books, and features a PLUS SIZED woman, living life to the fullest! We need more of those. Let's celebrate..."

Not yet, but I'll be looking for it!

message 27: by BLynne (new)

BLynne I find that I like the paranormal cozy mysteries but I also like the ones that have something to do with books and writing. I think it might be because I would like more time to write myself.

message 28: by Ami (new)

Ami | 15 comments I'll read anything that catches my eye. I really like animal themed cozies, especially with the animals being a pet. I'm always on the look out for books with animals other then a cat or dog, but sometimes those are harder to find... I do enjoy paranormal cozies, if it is something other then witches. I'm a big sucker for ghost stories and that carries over to the cozies I read as well. I also really enjoy cozies that have arts and crafts, hobbies, and book related themes.

Even though I enjoy animal themes, I now stay away from vet themed cozies. I don't like seeing the animals get hurt and I've run in to too many vet cozies that have animals getting abused, hurt, or worse in their books. I'm so so on food related ones... some I like, some I am not fond of at all. I stay away from any historical fiction. It's weird... I love non-fiction history, but for some reason I just have ZERO interest in historical fiction.

What I really, REALLY hate though is romance. I can't stand it. I will look the other way with cozies because I know that having a love interest is a big part of cozy mysteries... but if the main character gets too obsessed with love, I don't want to hear about it. I've dropped series before when the main character is just being annoying going on and on about which man is hottest, or worrying about who she is going to marry or whatever... no thank you! There are some books where the love interest (or lack there of) starts to get more attention then the actual murder mystery! That's a NOPE.

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sousa | 446 comments Melodie wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "OH! I forgot to mention, there is one wonderful series that only ran three books, and features a PLUS SIZED woman, living life to the fullest! We need more of those. Let's celebrate..."

I second the recommendation for Sue Ann Jaffarian's Odelia Grey series. I have read the first six books, and they are fantastic!

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments Have that series on my radar now, AND on my list!

Nothing Like A Good Book!!!! wood | 7 comments I love culinary themed books.

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments Nothing Like A Good Book!!!! wrote: "I love culinary themed books."

Oh, ME TOO, ME TOO! And if there are recipes, I'm in heaven! One of my daydreams is to someday have a kitchen large enough for a bookcase where all my culinary themed cozies that include recipes are shelved. I actually bought "The Cat Who Cookbook." The "Chicken in a Dark and Mysterious Sauces" is quite tasty, BTW!

message 33: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 18 comments I really enjoy holiday-themed cozies, especially ones that take place in the fall--my favorite season!

message 34: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 718 comments I love modern copies about baking, dogs and sometimes libraries or bookstores. I have a notebook filled with recipes from cozy mysteries. I mostly love 19th century/early 20th century set copies especially English country or Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs type stories.

I like a slow burn romance but not love triangles.

I avoid cats- I never seem to get along with cat lover heroines. Also avoided are older sleuths, male sleuths, cooking, paranormal/magic, stupid heroines.

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 182 comments I hate to ask... what do you have against older sleuths? (And how do you define “older”?). The other things I can see.

message 36: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments I'm guessing one of my favourite series 'The Cat Who...' books by Lilian Jackson Braun featuring an older male main character with two Siamese cats would be a complete no-no for you then!

Or by older do you mean the type featuring octagenarians?

message 37: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 718 comments Rebecca wrote: "I hate to ask... what do you have against older sleuths? (And how do you define “older”?). The other things I can see."

Like Miss Marple, Miss Silver. I'm saving them for when I'm too old for 20-somethings and their romantic drama. I'm already out of patience for teenage Regency romance heroines so I know I will eventually move on from the young cozy mystery heroines too.

message 38: by L J (new)

L J | 596 comments Looking at https://www.cozy-mystery.com/cozy-mys... I found a couple of other themes I read that I hadn't listed. Holiday Theme. I especially enjoy reading winter holiday ones during hot weather. Several of the series I read are on Romantic theme list. I knew some I read were more romantic than others but never thought of it as a theme.

message 39: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 8 comments I'm currently reading the "Murder She Wrote" mysteries. I found the t.v. show on Amazon and then realized there was a whole series of books to go with it! I'm only on #2 - I'm trying to pace myself as I read fast - but am enjoying the series so far. I'm enjoying trying to pick out the differences between the book character and the t.v. character.

Now that I've found the book club, my reading pace may change as I'll be adding the suggested reading titles to my list!

I don't worry about the age of the protagonist, I just want them to be well written characters. I hate being suckered in by a jacket cover only to find that was the best part of the book.

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments Turns out I’m not that picky when it comes to cozy mysteries. I first started with the literary theme- owned a bookstore, worked in a library, had a book club, etc but I’ve recently found myself drawn to the cozies where I can learn about professions/hobbies that I’ve never really focused on before. I would never own an art gallery and I can’t sew on a button to save my life but I’ve picked up cozies and have instantly just fallen into the story.
And of course, paranormal cozies are always fun.

message 41: by David (new)

David Navratil | 22 comments I look for Holiday themes - Halloween, Christmas. I also like Food/Candy themes. Don't like themes where the main character has a lot of baggage/problems from life and starting over again!
David

message 42: by Aibee (last edited Feb 21, 2022 11:42PM) (new)

Aibee  | 13 comments Except for paranormal/supernatural, I think I love most of the usual cozy themes: food, books/bookshops, exotic locations-centric.

message 43: by Cheryl A. (new)

Cheryl A. (teddi1961) | 401 comments I haven't found a cozy that I didn't like. I prefer the small towns and ones with animals. Bonus if the animals are sidekicks and even bigger bonus if the animals talk!

message 44: by Leona (new)

Leona (mnleona) | 62 comments I like a cozy theme that has needlecraft, recipes, animals, or books/library. I also like that the language is usually clean.