Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Topics Other Than Bks-Pics-TV. > LINKS TO PODCASTS TO LISTEN TO

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'm listening to the following podcast now:
https://tunein.com/podcasts/Arts--Cul...

"Ask Me Another - NPR
Recorded live at The Bell House in Brooklyn, NY, this rambunctious hour blends brainteasers and local pub trivia night with comedy and music."

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments Sounds interesting but I have trouble hearing over the computer type things.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jun 01, 2018 02:57PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Now I'm listening to:
https://tunein.com/podcasts/Interview...
"How Rogers and Hammerstein revolutionized Broadway".
The Podcast tells about the new book out recently: Something Wonderful: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway Revolution BY Todd S. Purdum

It contains an interesting discussion about lyrics being written before the tune, as Hammerstein preferred to do with Rogers, as opposed to how Rogers and Hart wrote their songs.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Nina wrote: "Sounds interesting but I have trouble hearing over the computer type things."

Nina, these Podcasts are new to me. I think we need more experience with them, including navigating around the links. I think the searching is worth it.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6331 comments I've tried some podcasts, but they all have reminded me of radio morning shows so far - lots of silly chatter & circumlocution. I prefer books that get to the meat of the matter & generally stay on topic. Also, they're usually easier to put on my phone. I can't stream anything at home as reception is iffy for everything.

I have trouble hearing words properly from some narrators. Harlan Ellison is one of the worst for changing the volume of his voice. He whispers & shouts, neither of which is good with earbuds. I've listened to a lot of other books & stories from the same studio, sometimes he's reading one part of a story, & he's always the worst to deal with.

A lot of other things can affect understanding, though. It took me some time to get used to the whole idea. I think it uses a different part of the mind & it takes some practice. Now I usually listen to books at 1.5 speed, half again as fast. It's more intelligible because my mind doesn't wander as far off course.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Sometimes I enjoy the chit-chat and conversations on the Podcasts. They keep me company.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I enjoy hearing Terry Gross on programs like "Fresh Air" (NPR).
She's excellent.
https://tunein.com/podcasts/Interview...