Science Book Club discussion

Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress
This topic is about Enlightenment Now
Book of the Month Discussion > Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Moderator (new)

Bill Burris (wburris) | 248 comments Mod
This is our book discussion for June 2018.

Vidya (vidyabhandary) | 77 comments I have read only about 20% of the book so far. Going at this rate I think I may not be able to complete the book within this month.

So far the message in the book is very uplifting about how the world has become better in many aspects. I like the fact that various facets of progress are individually addressed and there are plenty of graphs / statistics accompanying the claim the author makes.

How is everyone else faring ?

Iris (tsuris) | 4 comments I agree, it's really interesting to learn about the progress of all these different kinds of statistics. I do think though that he could have made his point in a lot less pages, as he pretty much just repeats his basic ideas over and over in a multitude of variations.

Vidya (vidyabhandary) | 77 comments What do you know ? That 20% was actually approximately 50% of the book ! The last 40-50% of the book contains indexes / notes and references !!! Well researched !

Yes I agree Iris. The book could have been more concise without losing the gist of the matter.