Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive Buddy Reads > Buddy Read- L.M. Montgomery

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Jun 01, 2018 05:23AM) (new)

Rosemarie | 8962 comments Mod
All members are welcome to join our buddy read of Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments I'll be joining in.

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Thanks for the reminder. Have read the first years ago but never got around to reading the sequel.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have only read two chapters of Pat of Silver Bush so far, and I have noticed that unlike Anne and Emily, Pat(Patricia) lives with her parents and older sibling at Silver Bush, which she loves. She doesn't like change, at seven years of age, and a big change will be coming soon- her mother is going to have a baby.
The servant, Judy Plum, is her special friend and understands Pat.

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have only read two chapters of Pat of Silver Bush so far, and I have noticed that unlike Anne and Emily, Pat(Patricia) lives with her parents and older sibling at Silver Bush, which she loves. Sh..."

Judy Plum reminds me of Rebecca Dew from Anne of Windy Poplars (but since AOWP was actually written AFTER Pat of Silver Bush, perhaps Montgomery used Judy Plum as a blueprint for Rebecca Dew).

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I am almost halfway through the book and thoroughly enjoying it. It such a relaxing read, with lovely descriptions of nature and a delightful heroine in Pat.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments I've read two chapters so far and find Judy Plum and Pat delightful. The descriptions of Silver Bush make me want to visit there!

message 8: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I am going to finish the book tonight and really enjoying it.
Pat, who nevers wants to have a "beau" is smitten by a new boy in town. Judy knows all the signs. Pat is growing up.

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I am going to finish the book tonight and really enjoying it.
Pat, who nevers wants to have a "beau" is smitten by a new boy in town. Judy knows all the signs. Pat is growing up."

I kind of feel that Pat (from a modern perspective) is both a bit introverted (actually more than a bit) and perhaps even mildly autistic with her hatred and fear of changes (but she totally speaks to me more than Anne and her gregariousness but perhaps not quite as much as Emily if that makes sense).

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments I think you're right about Pat being introverted. When she visits her great-aunts at Bay Shore and is left alone in the parlour, "everything was of interest and now she was alone she could have a good time." And she does, inspecting everything in the room!

message 11: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Pat also doesn't have any close friends at school, until she meets Bets and discovers that they are going to be neighbours.

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Pat also doesn't have any close friends at school, until she meets Bets and discovers that they are going to be neighbours."

Definitely introversion with regard to Pat, in my opinion and kind of nice to have a relatively early novel where the main character is introverted and still positively depicted.

message 13: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Pat also does manage to have a lot of fun in her quiet ways.

message 14: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Pat also does manage to have a lot of fun in her quiet ways."

Which is another positive.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I think that Pat is one of LMM's more engaging heroines. She appreciates natural beauty, is a kind person and loves animals, but is especially a loving member of her family.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments Pat is my favorite character of LMM. I've read Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon and appreciated those characters, but Pat seems so sensitive to the people and animals around her. She loves Silver Bush too and describes it so well.

message 17: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Kathy wrote: "Pat is my favorite character of LMM. I've read Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon and appreciated those characters, but Pat seems so sensitive to the people and animals around her. She love..."

I think that I probably like Emily best and then Pat (and then Cecily King and Sara Stanley). Actually, while I have always (as you say) appreciated Anne Shirley, her chattering and especially her penchant for matchmaking would have driven me bananas in real life.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments I'm almost halfway through Pat of Silver Bush and have been thinking about L.M. Montgomery and what she was like. Time for a biography, maybe.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

The author had some difficult times in her life. There are many books about her, including some autobiographical works like journals, etc.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments Journals would be interesting. I'll have to do some searching.

message 21: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Kathy wrote: "Journals would be interesting. I'll have to do some searching."

Absolutely recommend Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings, in my opinion the best biography on Montgomery geared towards adults (and her journals).

Just reading a brand new middle grade biography, House of Dreams: The Life of L.M. Montgomery, but so far, think this book needs an editor with regard to style and grammar.

message 22: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Mistress Pat is divided into Years.
I have finished Year 1, in which a lot happens. Pat is still very attached to Silver Bush and not too impressed with any of the young men who are interested in her.

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments Manybooks wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Journals would be interesting. I'll have to do some searching."

Absolutely recommend Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings, in my opinion the best biography on Montg..."

Thanks for those recommendations, Manybooks. I'll look into them.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Mistress Pat is divided into Years.
I have finished Year 1, in which a lot happens. Pat is still very attached to Silver Bush and not too impressed with any of the young men who are interested in her."

That sounds like Pat! I have about 100 pages to go in Pat of Silverbush. So enjoyable.

message 25: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

In Year 2, the Silver Bush people get new neighbours and Uncle Horace comes for a visit.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments I finished Pat of Silverbush. It's a book that makes you laugh and cry. It was also very nostalgic for me even though it was set in the 1920s and I was a child in the 1960s. The freedom children had to roam outside is something that was wonderful.

I have Mistress Pat on ebook, but won't be reading it right away.

message 27: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Have been reading through the entire series starting with Anne of Green Gables. Finished >u>Pat of Silverbush some months back, so my next read in the series will be Mistress Pat. I love all of LMM's books, however, had to take a rest after having moved through quite a few leaving off with Mistress Pat. They are so enjoyable to read. No wonder they have endured the test of time. These fall into my personal category of "feel good" books, which can be read over and over again. They evoke such a feeling of well-being and peace. Despite the character's setbacks there are many triumphs and many of life's lessons learned along the way.

message 28: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

The thread will stay active for as long as it needs to. My copy of Mistress Pat is due at the library on Tuesday and I can't renew it.
It is too hot to do anything but read here, even with the air conditioner on, so I should be able to finish it.

I am enjoying it so far.

Kathy, when I was growing up in a small town, some time ago now, we still had a lot of freedom to ride our bikes and just generally wander where we felt like it.
Things have changed, but families are still important.
I think that the Pat books are a real celebration of the family- they get along so well and are kind to each other.

message 29: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Rosemarie wrote: "The thread will stay active for as long as it needs to. My copy of Mistress Pat is due at the library on Tuesday and I can't renew it.
It is too hot to do anything but read here, even with the air ..."

Indeed, I cannot understand anyone wanting to go to see Canada Day festivities today (or even the fireworks at night). The AC is barely keeping up.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1374 comments I finished Mistress Pat today and enjoyed it almost more than Pat of Silverbush. The characters are so memorable they seem like friends. As Rosemarie said above, thes two books are a celebration of family. No matter the setbacks, family is always there.

message 31: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I am glad you enjoyed. Pat is one of LMM's calmer heroines.