Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

As I Lay Dying
This topic is about As I Lay Dying
Archive 2018 Group Reads > 2018 June As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:23AM) (new) - added it

Lesle | 6285 comments Mod
As I Lay Dying is a 1930 novel, in the genre of Southern Gothic by American author William Faulkner. It is the story of the death of Addie Bundren and her poor, rural family's quest and motivations—noble or selfish—to honor her wish to be buried in her hometown of Jefferson, Mississippi.

As the book opens, Addie is alive, though in ill health. Addie and others expect her to die soon, and she sits at a window watching as her firstborn, Cash, builds her coffin. Anse, Addie's husband, waits on the porch, while their daughter, Dewey Dell, fans her mother in the July heat. 261 pages

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 8931 comments Mod
I have read about 20% of the book so far. The multiple narrators take a bit of getting used to, but I am slowly figuring them out.
I get the impression that Addie wore herself out with work and her husband was just the opposite.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished the book today and found it an interesting read. Faulkner's style takes some getting used to. I felt sorry for all the children but I really couldn't stand the father.

message 4: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new) - added it

Oh dear!

message 5: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

I will be reading more Faulkner because he creates a very special atmosphere.
My daughter read this book for a university course and even wrote an essay on it. She really liked it. I mostly felt sorry for the children because Anse was such a terrible dad.

message 6: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new) - added it

I have it in my TBR pile. Do not think I'm going to get to it this month, hopefully soon.

Just from the description about it alone seems like a very good read.

I'm glad you got the time to read it Rosemarie!

message 7: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

So am I. That was my first Faulkner and not my last.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1368 comments Faulkner intimidates me. I think I may have started reading this book years ago but didn't finish because of the feelings it gave me. I have to be in the right mood for the Southern Gothic genre. I might start with a very short story!

Same with Flannery O'Connor - I still have some awful images in my head from reading her.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

I so agree about Flannery O'Connor. She writes so well but her stories and images are intimidating, at least for me.