Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Sentence Of Death (Clavel and Snow Crime #1)
This topic is about Sentence Of Death
Book Club Selection > Spoiler Discussion (June 2018) Value Read - Sentence Of Death, by A.P. Martin

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 4086 comments Mod
******* THIS THREAD MAY GIVE INFORMATION AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR FINISHED THE BOOK ******

This is a spoiler thread for the June Value Book Read: Sentence Of Death, by A.P. Martin
Post in here if you wish to comment on the book and discuss details that may spoil or give away important or pertinent details for those who haven't read or finished the book yet.

Erunyauve | 168 comments There were certainly signs pointing to JP throughout, but I didn't guess his motive. The storyline did keep me guessing, and I always like to learn a bit about something totally unrelated in a book.

The author's notes indicate that that he or she might or might not develop it into a series. There were a number of scenes that could probably be scrapped or revised without the context of building a series - they had no real impact on the storyline. And I wasn't entirely charmed by the way women were portrayed - Olivia is fantastic, but I could have done without Serena, and the DCI is spineless.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed it quite a bit - as I noted, Olivia is an appealing character, and the background discussion of the opera was quite interesting by itself.

message 3: by David (last edited Jun 07, 2018 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Gooch | 4086 comments Mod
Well for me it was a simple plodding story that was average. The characters including Olivia did nothing to gain your belief in them or the story. In fact it all seemed a little contrived what with her being a psychologist. It would have been far more believable and interesting if she was just an avid "Ring" fan who put two and two together.
The killer was easy to pick, without a psychologist, by half way through the book. If the author thinks a crime series based on the Ring or Olivia is the way forward then I for one won't be reading.
I gave it 3 stars and mainly because it is a novel one off idea. My review is at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

G.J. (buch-wurm) | 41 comments Erunyauve wrote: "There were certainly signs pointing to JP throughout, but I didn't guess his motive. The storyline did keep me guessing, and I always like to learn a bit about something totally unrelated in a book..."

Interesting thoughts, I too was none too keen on Serena, however I thought the DCI acted as I would have expected, one assumes there is a huge amount of pressure when trying to track down a killer , do you think she gave in too quickly when she took Sam off the case ? Just curious :-)

Erunyauve | 168 comments I think I was most annoyed that she put Harrison back in charge - if anything warranted an internal investigation, it was his bullying of an illiterate homeless man into a confession. That should have put his entire career in question, or at very least warranted some heavy pressure to retire. She didn't seem to have a very good grasp on her people.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments I seem to be a bit in the minority here. Although I found the killer somewhat obvious rather early on, I was charmed by the Wagner opera theme and I liked the character of Olivia.

I find it interesting that there seem to be lots of connections between mysteries and opera. I mean operas themselves often have murders, but many murder mysteries have opera themes or elements. Morse was a Wagner fan. Wallander likes Puccini.
Ngaio Marsh wrote one of her books with an opera setting.
Ann Pratchett's Bel Canto novel which was adapted into an opera
Michael Dibden Cosi Fan Tutti is a take on the opera.

message 7: by G.J. (last edited Jun 16, 2018 11:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

G.J. (buch-wurm) | 41 comments AngryGreyCat wrote: "I seem to be a bit in the minority here. Although I found the killer somewhat obvious rather early on, I was charmed by the Wagner opera theme and I liked the character of Olivia.

I find it inter..."

One of the reasons I loved this book was it’s intelligent connection to Opera

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments G.J. wrote: "AngryGreyCat wrote: "I seem to be a bit in the minority here. Although I found the killer somewhat obvious rather early on, I was charmed by the Wagner opera theme and I liked the character of Oliv..."

Yes - being a Morse fan I've listened to a lot of Wagner and so it was interesting to make that connection to another book. I'm not an opera expert by any means but I do enjoy it.