Victorians! discussion

Wuthering Heights
This topic is about Wuthering Heights
Archived Group Reads 2018 > Wuthering Heights: Background Info & Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - added it

Cindy Newton | 423 comments Mod
Welcome to the 2018 Wuthering Heights read! Please feel free to share any background information or resources you might have about Emily Bronte or the novel itself. Please guard against spoilers, both in your posts and in any links you might share. WH is a well-known book that many people read in school, but we do not want to ruin the experience for anyone who doesn't know how this famous tale goes.

Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite books, but it has been quite a few years since I last read it. I am looking forward to rediscovering it with this group!

message 2: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - added it

The reading schedule for Wuthering Heights is as follows:

June 10 - 16 --- Ch. I - Ch. VII
June 17 - 23 --- Ch. VIII - Ch. XII
June 24 - 30 --- Ch XIII - Ch. XVIII
July 1 - 7 --- Ch. XIX - Ch. XXVI
July 8 - 14 --- Ch. XXVII - End
July 15 - 21 --- Final Discussion and Movie Comparisons

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Renee M | 1995 comments Mod
I love the movie tie-in idea!!

message 4: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - added it

Renee wrote: "I love the movie tie-in idea!!"

Well, you mentioned movies in one of your comments, and it's often interesting to compare the movie and the book and see what the differences are and which is more effective. So you were the origin of the idea! :)

message 5: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Renee M | 1995 comments Mod
Oh. Haha. Caught!
I forgot about that.

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 271 comments I can’t wait to start our discussion!

My edition is published by White’s Books in 2009 and follows the first edition of the book, which was in two volumes.

I assume that the chapters for the discussion June 24 - 30 include Volume Two, chapter 4, and July 1 - 7 includes chapter 12.

There is an odd feature in my edition. If anyone else is reading this edition, please tell me, then I will check with you what you make of this feature.

message 7: by Charlotte (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 271 comments I have also found an excellent reading companion: “The Annotated Wuthering Heights”, edited by Janet Gezari, The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2014. (If you want to look it up on Goodreads, search for Janet Gezari.)

This book includes wonderful comments, illustrations and background information.

message 8: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - added it

Charlotte wrote: "I can’t wait to start our discussion!

My edition is published by White’s Books in 2009 and follows the first edition of the book, which was in two volumes.

I assume that the chapters for the di..."

I'm so glad you will be joining in for this read! I would assume those sections are included--the schedule includes the entirety of the book. I have the Barnes and Noble edition and the Norton Critical Edition. Neither of these editions is divided into books--the chapters are numbered sequentially straight through.

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 271 comments I am sorry, there is a special reason for us reading the book, right? The year of Emily Brontë’s birth, 1818?

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 271 comments I have found this site that has genealogy of the two families in the novel, timeline of events and reconstructions of the farm house with interior and everything: https://www.wuthering-heights.co.uk/i...

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 271 comments There is another movie coming out on 30 November, with the tag line “The most terrifying love story of all time” and labeled a horror (and romance) movie (!): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5184904/

Inkspill (runinkspill) my copy also has 2 volumes, as I understand it, it's 34 chapters, but if it's in 2 volume then the first has 14 and the second has 20

I"ve made a note of the chapters and look forward to reading it ☺

message 13: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - added it

Charlotte wrote: "I am sorry, there is a special reason for us reading the book, right? The year of Emily Brontë’s birth, 1818?"

Yes, July 30th will be the 200th anniversary of her birth. Definitely, something to commemorate!

message 14: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - added it

Charlotte wrote: "I have found this site that has genealogy of the two families in the novel, timeline of events and reconstructions of the farm house with interior and everything: https://www.wuthering-heights.co.u..."

What an awesome resource! I love how it shows all the different actors and actresses who have portrayed the characters on film. Great way to decide which movie versions to pursue! Thanks for sharing, Charlotte!

message 15: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - added it

Charlotte wrote: "There is another movie coming out on 30 November, with the tag line “The most terrifying love story of all time” and labeled a horror (and romance) movie (!): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5184904/"

Another movie! Very exciting! Here is a link to the trailer:
2018 Wuthering Heights Trailer

Spoiler Alert!! Don't watch if you don't know the story--the trailer is long and contains quite a few spoilers for those of you who haven't read it.

message 16: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - added it

Here's another link to info about Emily Bronte and the upcoming events in the UK to commemorate the bicentennial of her birthday.

Bronte.org

message 17: by Nina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nina Clare | 135 comments Charlotte wrote: "I have found this site that has genealogy of the two families in the novel, timeline of events and reconstructions of the farm house with interior and everything: https://www.wuthering-heights.co.u..."

Thanks, Charlotte, I enjoyed having a tour of the farmhouse!

Clarissa (clariann) | 535 comments Charlotte wrote: "There is another movie coming out on 30 November, with the tag line “The most terrifying love story of all time” and labeled a horror (and romance) movie (!): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5184904/"

wow I don't know if that sounds really strange or really good?!

I loved the link in your previous post too.