The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Least Favorite Books of the Spring 2018 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5363 comments Mod
What were your least favorite books of the Spring 2018 Challenge? Which books didn't meet your expectations?

message 2: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 358 comments I seemed to have a few more than usual that I didn't get on with this time! Which is a bit annoying. Hopefully the summer season shall pick up a little!

My bottom 5 were:

1. The Seer - one of the worst books I have ever read, awful in every way.
2. Secrets of a Summer Night - the heroine was basically unbearable, and I am still slightly puzzled that other people like it.
3. Ruthless - I wish the heroine had fled for the hills at the first opportunity.
4. Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness - this was sold to me as quite good and interesting. It was neither of those things.
5. The Seduction of Lady Charity - Charity should've moved to Scotland.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Siobhan, I liked Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness. I'm sorry you didn't. I thought the psychological approach in a scientific field worked. I think it was 3.5 stars for me.

Here are my 1-star duds. I only had 2.:

Burying Water
Flirt

I also had 11 2-star books. That number is higher than usual.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7920 comments Thursdays at Coconuts - horrible book, the characters were so shallow and one-dimensional

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Dee wrote: "Thursdays at Coconuts - horrible book, the characters were so shallow and one-dimensional"

Dee, I try to stay clear of books rated below 3.7 by the masses here on GR. Sometimes, I will give it a whirl because it is need for a task, but I don't like it.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7920 comments Donna wrote: "Dee wrote: "Thursdays at Coconuts - horrible book, the characters were so shallow and one-dimensional"

Dee, I try to stay clear of books rated below 3.7 by the masses here on GR. S..."

pretty much - I used it for the matching name task - since I was trying to use books on my epic kindle archives as much as possible....

message 7: by Donna (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:04PM) (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Dee wrote: "Donna wrote: "Dee wrote: "Thursdays at Coconuts - horrible book, the characters were so shallow and one-dimensional"

Dee, I try to stay clear of books rated below 3.7 by the masses..."

Yes, that task was hard. I didn't like the books I used for that one as much as I would have liked. Very limited pool for sure.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1437 comments No one stars this time, but a few 2 stars:

Possessed by a Warrior
Bog Child
Madeline Mann
The End of Everything
A Shade of Vampire Amazon got me to read book 1, I will not be continuing with the rest of the series.

message 9: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 358 comments Donna wrote: "Siobhan, I liked Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness. I'm sorry you didn't. I thought the psychological approach in a scientific field worked. I..."

I'm not sure why I didn't like it so much! I think I just bounced off it fairly hard. I think I was maybe expecting a book that focused a little more on the science side.

message 10: by Diana (last edited Jun 07, 2018 08:50AM) (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments I had a fair number of one star and two stars this time around..

The Shelf Life of Happiness
The Old Sex Symphony
Escape From Prague
I think all of the above were Kindle freebies.

And then I read two books that are quite popular on GR but really disappointed me.

The Atomic City Girls
The Girl on the Train

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 1072 comments There are a few it took everything I had to finish

Need to Know-so many great reviews..so disappointing

Soiled Doves: Prostitution in the Early West-This book could have been so much more....

The Stone Sky-Last book in the Broken Earth Trilogy-the first two were "can't put it down" for me, this one not so much.