Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Heide's Plan to Fix a Reading Slump

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Votakubees (last edited Jul 06, 2018 10:36PM) (new)

Votakubees (votaku-bee) | 24 comments Okay, so i've been in a reading slump the last couple years and I joined this challenge around March hoping it would motivate me out of it. This month it started to work. Below is my current plan although it is subject to change (in fact i've dnf'd 2 books so far) and will not be in order or anything. Ta da~

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title Every Heart a Doorway ★★★★

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list Vicious

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards Artemis

4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) The Hazel Wood ★★★

5. A book about or inspired by real events Hostage

6. A book originally written in a language other than English The Angel's Game

7. A gothic novel The Thirteenth Tale

8. An "own voices" book* The Hate U Give ★★★★★

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) Down Among the Sticks and Bones ★★★★★

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) Player Piano

11. A literary fiction 1984

12. A book set in Africa or South America Purple Hibiscus audiobook ★★★★★

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) The Club Dumas

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire An Ember in the Ashes ★★

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure Dear Committee Members ★★★★★

16. A narrative nonfiction The Princess Diarist ★★★★

17. A book you expect to make you laugh Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens audiobook ★★★★

18. A book with a location in the title Moloka'i

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors) Girl in the Blue Coat ★★★★★

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends Strange the Dreamer ★★★★★

21. A book written in first person perspective The Lightning Thief

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for The Night Circus

23. A medical or legal thriller Shutter Island DNF'd Coma

24. A book with a map Shadow and Bone ★★★

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view Six of Crows

26. A book with a text only cover Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) All the Light We Cannot See

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water Water for Elephants

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) Whichwood ★★★★

30. A short book The Little Prince ★★★★

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to City of Ghosts

32. An alternate history book Black Powder War

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you Jurassic Park

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call A Graphic Novel Through the Woods ★★★★

35. A book featuring a murder Out

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before Eliza and Her Monsters ★★★★★

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee The Power

38. A science book or a science fiction book Redshirts

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials Uprooted

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater Life of Pi

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence The Sun Is Also a Star DNF'd If You're Reading This, I'm Already Dead

44. A ghost story Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day ★★★★★

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you The Pillars of the Earth

46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air The Book of Air and Shadows

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own The Color Purple

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth) All the Rage ★★★★

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists Children of Blood and Bone ★★★★★

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) A Thousand Splendid Suns

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection M Is for Magic audiobook ★★★

52. A book published in 2018 Tyler Johnson Was Here

20/52 books read
Subject to change. ;)

message 2: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1543 comments Mod
Oh I loved What If?, The Night Circus, and The Pillars of the Earth. I hope you enjoy them!

message 3: by Votakubees (new)

Votakubees (votaku-bee) | 24 comments Jackie wrote: "Oh I loved What If?, The Night Circus, and The Pillars of the Earth. I hope you enjoy them!"

Really? I've heard amazing things about The Night Circus but not much about the other two. Granted, a bit of that is on purpose, because I don't want to know that much about them so that I'm surprised, but also because most of the book tubers i follow tend to be more into YA books.

message 4: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 742 comments I also love Night Circus plus water for Elephants is terrific. Hope you have fun with all of these!