Library Scavenger Hunt discussion

BOOKS > JUNE '18 - Title and author start with the same letter

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances (new)

Frances (nightjar-nal) | 132 comments Mod
Welcome back to another LSH! This month's challenge was suggested to me by my dad, & sounded like such a fun idea that I couldn't wait any longer before breaking it out. 😁 The title of the thread is fairly explanatory, but just to spell it out: This month, please read a book where the title and the author's name begin with the same letter! For the "author's name" part, feel free to go with their given name or their surname.

Happy hunting!

As always:
1) Please feel free to use this thread for discussion, recommendations, and reviews.
2) Please also remember to add your book to the group bookshelf! You can do this on the group's main page by scrolling down to where it says "Bookshelf" at the bottom, and clicking on "Add Books".

message 2: by Frances (last edited Jun 03, 2018 01:16PM) (new)

A few recommendations:

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne Spellslinger (Spellslinger #1) by Sebastien de Castell Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl Railhead by Philip Reeve All My Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman

I will definitely be looking out for a copy of Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie (a sequel to Ancillary Justice, which I linked above)... Hopefully my library will have it in stock! 😆

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Million | 20 comments I'm going to try Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner. Hopefully it'll work out better than the one I tried last month did! ☺

message 4: by Frances (new)

Tara wrote: "I'm going to try Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner. Hopefully it'll work out better than the one I tried last month did! ☺"

I certainly hope so! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞

message 5: by Tara (last edited Jun 18, 2018 07:33PM) (new)

Tara Million | 20 comments I finished Nikolski and I gave it 3 stars. Right up until the ending it was heading for 4 stars but then I found the ending disappointing and ended up giving it only 3. It was an interesting and odd sort of book, and followed three main characters simultaneously. It's set in Montreal, Canada, and was originally written in French. It combined all sorts of unusual elements into a complex story about how people try to connect with each other and the world around them.

message 6: by Ali (new)

Ali (alicihonest) | 10 comments I'm on a politics kick so I read Chasing Hillary: Ten Years, Two Presidential Campaigns, and One Intact Glass Ceiling by Amy Chozick. It's about a journalist who covered Hillary Clinton's campaigns, and was very entertaining and illuminating. It also paired well with another book I read recently, Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History, about a journalist who covered Trump's campaign, so it was really cool to compare them.

message 7: by Frances (new)

Somehow it took me a lot more effort than I was expecting (the review, not the book), but I finally finished writing up my thoughts on Ancillary Mercy! You can find my review at my blog, but in short: I loved it! Such a great (and unexpected) finale, for an already-excellent series. 💕