Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Buddy Reads > June 2018 Buddy Read of The Frost and the Flame

Comments Showing 1-50 of 174 (174 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited May 31, 2018 12:17PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Who wants to join a June buddy read of Drusilla Campbell The Frost and the Flame by Drusilla Campbell The Frost and the Flame?

FYI, Karla gave this book 5-stars! It should be verrry interesting!

Convent-bred and seductively beautiful, eighteen-year-old Katiana Donova was journeying across Russia when suddenly a band of murderous serfs attacked her traveling party. Soon she was rescued from her frozen hiding place by none other than the dashing Prince Oleg Romanov -- only to become the object of his insatiable lust.

Helpless to defend herself against this cruel aristocrat, Katiana had no choice by to become his frigid, taunting mistress -- despite the vindictive jealousy of Oleg's wife, Princess Elizabeth.

But Katia longed only for Alexei, the gentle handsome nobleman whose very soul seemed to burn with a quiet passion -- for his people and -- could she hope? -- for her.

Ravished and betrayed, Katia would eventually escape Oleg's clutches to a country half a world away. But would she ever be reunited with the man who could melt her frozen passion with the glorious flame of his love?

message 2: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 04, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Reserved

message 3: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 05, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Reserved

message 4: by Doris (new)

Doris Hi Andrea,
Are there old Buddy Read folders that newbies can see to get a sense of when in their read people start commenting?

My print copy of this month’s book hasn’t arrived yet.
Doris

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments What is a Space Holder

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Doris wrote: "Hi Andrea,
Are there old Buddy Read folders that newbies can see to get a sense of when in their read people start commenting?

My print copy of this month’s book hasn’t arrived yet.
Doris"

Hi Doris!
I’m really looking forward buddy reading with you and Melita!

I’ll as a mod in another group where I’m active, if it’s ok to post a little no to an old buddy read where I was a participant.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "What is a Space Holder"

I just typed “space holder.”

Perhaps I should have call d it “reserved” instead.

message 8: by Doris (new)

Doris Andrea,
Sorry but I'm not sure what you were saying about an old buddy read you were in.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Doris wrote: "Andrea,
Sorry but I'm not sure what you were saying about an old buddy read you were in."

Doris,

I’m going to post some info that explains about “communal” reading that includes a link to an old buddy read of which I was a part that you can look at.

message 10: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 12, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita and Doris:

I posted some information in message #2 about buddy reading in general, how we will do this buddy read and a link to an old buddy read from another group so that you can see how it looks.

I apologize for posting that info later that I thought I intended. I'm playing team bingo with another group and I got a little bit behind.

Hot Mess Sommelière ~ Caro | 63 comments Ughhhh I'd love to read that book. But I just checked in on amazon and it's 70€ used so ... T_T impossible for me.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 839 comments Mod
I'd love to join Andrea..but it seems rather complicated with do's & don'ts and I never have figured out "spoiler" tags.
if your going to do it by chapters, III follow..and add a comment or two staying within the boundaries of that chapter...?
Or just read and follow your comments :)

message 13: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 12, 2018 01:22PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "I'd love to join Andrea..but it seems rather complicated with do's & don'ts and I never have figured out "spoiler" tags.
if your going to do it by chapters, III follow..and add a comment or two sta..."

Ok,

The more the merrier!

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "I'd love to join Andrea..but it seems rather complicated with do's & don'ts and I never have figured out "spoiler" tags.
if your going to do it by chapters, III f..."

III be careful what I say :) when is this starting? gotta dig it out

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Sandi,

I’m going to begin reading today or tomorrow.

I need to read this book for a challenge.

Since I chose a bodice ripper, I thought I’d do a buddy read over here. Nobody in the group where I’m doing the challenge likes bodice rippers at all.

Good luck with your challenge! :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Good luck with your challenge! :)"

Thanks Sandi!

message 18: by Blondie (new)

Blondie (blonde76) | 86 comments I am in and ready whenever everyone else is :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Great Blondie.

I’m glad you’re in!

I’m going to begin reading Wednesday evening or a Thursday AM.

message 20: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments ok, all good

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "ok, all good"

😊

message 22: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments I'm in as well!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments @Gurl

Good news!

@Everyone

I'll probably begin reading this evening or tomorrow AM.

Right now in the US east coast, it's a little after 3:30 pm.

I usually finish work at 7p on Wednesdays, but today i had to come in earlier for an AM training session, so, I want to start the book this evening to celebrate leaving work earlier than usual.

message 24: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments hi Andrea I apologize in advance for being a dummy but how far, i.e , how many chapters and when do we start posting predictions, WTF's, gripes. etc.?

message 25: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments

message 26: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments

message 27: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I was trying to use spoiler tags but did not work. How does one go about it again.

Which keys to press to hide text?

message 28: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 14, 2018 04:54AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Here are spoiler tags:

<*spoiler> blah blah blah <*spoiler>

BUT

When you use them, DONOT include the asterisks (to make them inactive for the example above) as I have done in this example.

Here I use spoiler without the asterisks, so they are “active” and actually hide the text.

My comments. I’m up to page 10 in the first chapter:

(view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "I was trying to use spoiler tags but did not work. How does one go about it again.

Which keys to press to hide text?"

Melita,

The tags themselves hide text, not any specific symbol on the keyboard.

When you want to hide text, don’t include the asterisks!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Gurl wrote: "hi Andrea I apologize in advance for being a dummy but how far, i.e , how many chapters and when do we start posting predictions, WTF's, gripes. etc.?"

Gurl,

You can start as soon as you have something to say.

If something strikes you in the first page of the prologue or the first chapter, then it’s never to early.

In another group, if an h gets on my nerves on the first two pages of the book, I mention it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Ch 1 up to page 10

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 14, 2018 11:19AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments The first chapter 1825, Katia’s departure from the convent possibly coincides with a period of transition in Russia. Tzar Alexander I died in December of that year:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa...

He was Tzar when Napoleon Bonaparte thought it was a good idea to invade Russia at the outset of winter and very far from supply lines or even spiked shoes for the horses. He thought it would be an easy victory! The Russians retreated farther and farther into the enterior and left everything behind as a burnt ruin (villages and towns) depriving the Grand Armee of crops, livestock, fuel etc. The Russians even burnt Moscow when they left it!

Have any of you read War and Peace?

French invasion of Russia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenc...

message 33: by Blondie (new)

Blondie (blonde76) | 86 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "The first chapter 1825, Katia’s departure from the convent possibly coincides with a period of transition in Russia. Tzar Alexander I died in December of that year:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki..."

very interesting ty for the additional information

message 34: by Blondie (new)

Blondie (blonde76) | 86 comments I hate it when an author over uses the word had ie I had worked ... instead of, I worked. I understand using it for emphasis but over using negates that!

rant over!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Blondie wrote: "I hate it when an author over uses the word had ie I had worked ... instead of, I worked. I understand using it for emphasis but over using negates that!

rant over!"

I haven't noticed anything terrible with the author's word choices or grammar issues, but then I'll admit to not being a really good judge.

Mediocre writing sometimes goes over my head.

message 36: by Blondie (last edited Jun 14, 2018 12:05PM) (new)

Blondie (blonde76) | 86 comments up to page 67

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Blondie (new)

Blondie (blonde76) | 86 comments also I am confused

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 14, 2018 12:31PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments @Blondie,

I'll take a look at your comments when I reach that point.

Meanwhile, i'm at p41

(view spoiler)

The comment about our book that compares Stormfire. The hidden comment is a spoiler for Stormfire...

(view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Uh Oh! P 42

insta-love!

message 40: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 14, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Blondie wrote: "I hate it when an author over uses the word had ie I had worked ... instead of, I worked. I understand using it for emphasis but over using negates that!

rant over!"

I'm not as good at written communication as i would like, but I see something that bothers me...

p 47

"Though of course one would wish for pleasanter circumstances,."

I think "one would wish for ,more pleasant circumstances,." sounds better.

message 41: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 14, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Blondie wrote: "up to page 67

[spoilers removed]"

Apparently,

Her openness about her curiosity is counter to (view spoiler)

message 42: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 14, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Blondie wrote: "also I am confused

[spoilers removed]"

Probably because she has ties to (view spoiler)

message 43: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I am up to Chapter 4 page 64 and just met Alexei. Sounds like he is the good guy.

So far, it is very interesting and moves along. One feels the cold/ desolation/insecurity of the place.

I was not sure how long to read for.

message 44: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Will keep going as it sounds like you are ahead of me.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "Will keep going as it sounds like you are ahead of me."

I got up to about page 67/8 on a long break at work today.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "I am up to Chapter 4 page 64 and just met Alexei. Sounds like he is the good guy.

So far, it is very interesting and moves along. One feels the cold/ desolation/insecurity of the place.

I was not..."

I am drawn to Alexei because he supports freedom for the serfs and has compassion for them.

He hasn't shown any hints (view spoiler)

message 47: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 15, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Just finished ch 8 which ended on p 76

I have some thoughts.

On Prince O:
(view spoiler)

message 48: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 15, 2018 10:25AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Also, in an earlier chapter, it is revealed that O has been ordered by Tzar Nicholas I to return to government service. Nicholas Is regime was marked by extreme oppression and repression. It’s telling that the new Tzar want a man like O to serve in his government.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicho...

It’s interesting that ch 8 ended with a massacre of people asking for freedom on Nichols Is order. Something similar happened under Nicholas II, the last Tzar. Poor people tried to have a peaceful march to ask for reform. Soldiers fired on poor, hungry people carry posters of Nicholas II and religious images. They didn’t fire on Nicholas IIs order, but when something like this happens, the soldiers were his.

The Russian revolution was years in the making. It didn’t pop up all of a sudden.

The political backdrop is fascinating—ties to the Russian Revolution.

message 49: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 15, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments More thoughts on ch 8

On Os father Ivan:

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 15, 2018 10:30AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Just finished Ch 8: thoughts on Katia’s parentage?

(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4