Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

The Foundling
This topic is about The Foundling
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > The Foundling June 2018 Read: Chapters 1 to 12

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2724 comments Mod
Let's read!

What format are you reading it in?

Are you a first-time readers? No? How many times have you read this book?

Please avoid spoilers, use spoiler tags, or post spoilers in the spoiler thread. Thanks!

This is my third or fourth read, so will be using my kindle this time.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments This is my second read, I’ll be switching between my Sourcebooks used copy and the Kindle version on Scribd. Can’t wait to see if it holds up for me, I loved my first read a couple years ago!

message 4: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) I have read it a few times over the last 50 years, but it's not a story I warm to. However, I might give it another try!

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 373 comments I read the first chapter last night. First time read, an old library copy with no dust jacket. I read the description of the old house with delight. I had a bet with myself, actually, that the opening scene would take place in a carriage or some other moving vehicle, but she surprised me.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments I love the opening chapters; so much exposition expertly handled! Entertaining and informative; I feel I know Gilly already, not to mention those around him...

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1430 comments I still have one of the Harlequin paperbacks—cover not as bad as many, though it has nothing to do with the story. Some rider in a jockey suit doing dressage (huh?) in front of a Palladian palace, as seen through a window with Irish lace curtains.

The Foundling

Have read this one many, many times. Unlike some readers, I enjoy all the underworld characters and find the hero completely adorable. Belinda is hard to believe but hilarious, and Gideon—ahh, Gideon! Be still my beating heart.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Gibson This is a first time read for me. I'll be using my Kindle to read the Sourcebook version. Just hope I can read this one in its entirety. So much going on with my mothers health this month.

message 9: by Hana (new)

Hana | 652 comments lol, Abigail. That's some eclectic cover you have there! My library has a copy. I'm going to try an get it today. I'll try to join in over the weekend. It's been a few years since I read this and I've forgotten the plot so it will be fun to revisit.

Barb in Maryland | 714 comments I've got the Sourcebooks trade paperback from the library
The Foundling by Georgette Heyer

I first read this in 1970 and have seldom read it since. It will be a couple of days before I can get to it. It will be interesting to see what I think of it now.
The Heyers that I've loved from the first read get re-read a lot, the rest of her titles have pretty much fallen off my radar.

message 11: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like Gilly.

Upon re-reading, I find it amusing when his Uncle alternatively demands that Gilly assert himself more, and then criticizes him for doing just that.

Lord Lionel disparages everything from what stockings Gilly wore
'Nothing of the sort!" said his Lordship. 'It is high time you
realised that you are of age, and may do as you please.
Now, be off, and don't neglect to change your stockings! I
hope you have been wearing flannel ones and not-'

and what size bullets he chose,
"What shot did you use?'
'Seven,' said the Duke.
This made Lord Lionel shake his head a little, and point out the advantages of a four or five...

for allowing his young nephews to play cricket on the lawn,
"As for not having seen my brother and his wife here, they spent six weeks with us in the summer, and brought all the children, as I for one am not likely to forget very readily! They cut up the south lawn with their cricket, and if they had been sons of mine -'
'But they asked my permission, sir, and I gave it,' Gilly said in a soft voice.
Lord Lionel opened his mouth to utter a blistering reproof, recollected himself, shut it again, and after a slight pause, said: 'Well, it is your lawn, and you may do as you wish with it, but I own I cannot conceive what you were about to give permission.'

And then the letter from uncle Henry, which Lord Lionel automatically expects to read after Gilly. Lionel says that it is very important to Henry for Gilly to approve the engagement, but when Gilly ventures to say that he does not approve of it, Lionel is shocked and thinks Gilly impertinent.

These small decisions for which Lord Lionel scolds Gilly are but drops in a cup, but when you realize this happens with every matter in Gilly's life, you really can feel that his cup is almost full.

Then when it is shown that Lord Lionel and others sent Gilly's tutor with him to attend Oxford, have protectively restricted the Duke's estate management, and (in chapter two) mapped out his future marriage choices, that cup is starting to overflow. And all this in the first two chapters!

As Gilly later complains to Gideon,
"No, no, I am not yet beyond the stage of learning! I am so birdwitted, you know, that I can never tell what is asserting myself, and what is putting myself forward in a very pert fashion that will not do at all."

Heyer skillfully paints a thorough picture of what life for Gilly is like by showing, not telling. Love it!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I'm reading this page by page. No, I really mean page by page; they're completely separate and it took me about 15 minutes to actually get them in order. It's kind of fun to pick up a page and wander around with it. But there'd better not be any wind around...

I love Gilly and I absolutely see his dilemma{s}, and by painting his situation so completely in these first chapters, Heyer is giving him a lot of scope for growth. And that's my favorite trope.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Another clue to Gilly's temperament: he has no trouble standing his ground with people he doesn't love or those who don't rely on him. Harriet's brother doesn't stand a chance with him, because he doesn't feel sorry for him and he doesn't feel responsible for his happiness.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Karlyne wrote: "I'm reading this page by page. No, I really mean page by page; they're completely separate and it took me about 15 minutes to actually get them in order. It's kind of fun to pick up a page and wand..."

So well put, I love it for that reason as well! Plus, Gilly kind of reminds me of my son, very loving and kind and good but a bit young for his age. God help us, I don’t think we’re as bad as Lord Lionel and company, but we don’t hesitate to give our opinion if asked! Luckily, he went off to college himself several states away, and a semester interning in DC, and he coped fine without major problems, but I think his rather sheltered upbringing and reserved nature left him more confused by his friends antics rather than cutting loose!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Karlyne wrote: "Another clue to Gilly's temperament: he has no trouble standing his ground with people he doesn't love or those who don't rely on him. Harriet's brother doesn't stand a chance with him, because he ..."

This reminds me of my son, too!

message 16: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie | 1385 comments I have read it so many times I think I can participate even though I don't currently have a copy.
when I was in my 20s - 3 decades ago! - I remember enjoying this book once it got rolling, but finding it hard to "get into". more recently, I have come to appreciate how brilliant the opening is: the unimpressive young man surrounded by splendor and the pomp Gilly's Uncle insists on. what Critterbee shared, all that shows how Gilly is in an impossible position with his father-figure. be a man! wear the socks I tell you to! and the relationship with his servants, who seem to think he is still a child. it's a skillful demonstration of what he has been putting up with - but not for much longer!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments So Gilly makes it through his coach ride, but not without developing a migraine, and finds himself grateful for his "adoption" by Mrs. Appleby. Which makes him laugh - I do like his sense of humor!

message 18: by Susan in NC (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Me, too - he sees the absurdity in situations! Reminds of my mother’s old saying about our family’s gallows humor, “We can either laugh, or we can cry...”

Makes me laugh, also, because it’s a running joke in our family, but frustrates our son- older women all want to mother him! I guess it’s the clean cut looks, politeness and reserve, and being shorter.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I think that's the main reason my in-laws and I didn't get along well; they were not into humor! Somehow, their sons are - I always figured it skipped a generation...

Well, I've met Tom and Belinda, and although I know they're indispensable to the plot, they're not nearly as likeable as Gilly!

Karlyne wrote: "Well, I've met Tom and Belinda, and although I know they're indispensable to the plot, they're not nearly as likeable as Gilly!"

I agree, not really as lovable as Gilly, but they really do bring a lot of conflict to the plot. They both are so challenging to deal with.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments It's always fun to look back and think on those challenging types. He'll be able to remind himself that he's capable of dealing with anyone!

message 22: by Susan in NC (last edited Jun 03, 2018 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Oh, boy, they certainly do create challenges and conflict, Critterbee!

Karlyne, in-laws not appreciating humor would be tough; my MIL was like that, but my FIL is a fun and funny guy. After she passed away I was so glad he met a charming woman who enjoyed doing things with him; he can enjoy life with her, at least - I’m afraid my MIL was a handful! I was always glad they were in Illinois and we moved to NC.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Oh, boy, they certainly do create challenges and conflict, Critterbee!

Karlyne, in-laws not appreciating humor would be tough; my MIL was like that, but my FIL is a fun and funny guy. After she pa..."

They both always saw the tragic side of life - which I find tragic...

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Oh, that is a shame.

message 25: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 443 comments I do like Uncle Lionel! I appreciate that even though he's really smothering Gilly his has the best intentions: he's absolutely determined to do his duty and make sure the Gilly is perfectly brought up and his inheritance is perfectly manages! I like that he's so sympathetic even though he's so exasperating!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Agree, he is a great character- what a responsibility!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I like Uncle Lionel, too. He's not only doing his best for Gilly out of duty, but because he really loves him. And both duty and love make him determined to discharge his obligation with every iota of care. He will not have Gilly getting into trouble or dying on his watch! Wrapping kids in cotton wool seems like such a good idea, but it's so... stifling and handicapping and keeps them from finding their places in the world.

Yes, Rosina! That conversation says a lot without actually saying much!!!

Teresa | 1810 comments I'm reading a Harlequin edition which was printed in 2003. They brought out a lot of them at this time and I picked up any I didn't have. Not a particularly engaging cover though.
I'm enjoying it so far and yes Gilly reminds me of my own son too.
Gilly is a bit too nice for his own good at times. Taking on Tom was one thing but getting saddled with Belinda is quite another. What! a feather head. She'd drive me insane in ten minutes flat!!! Even though there isn't a whole lot of action in it somehow it's keeping my attention and I'm fully engrossed in the story.

The scene when Gilly arrives in London, and his footman rushes up to offer his arm for Gilly to lean on as he exits the coach!! Gilly is a healthy 24 year old! That made me laugh out loud - I didn't remember that from previous reads.

I love finding new gems when re-reading Heyer!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments That made me laugh, too. And having the travelling rug removed from his lap was another one. I loved Gilly's retort to Gideon - "You don't think I shave myself, do you?"

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments I love Gideon and Gilly’s relationship!

Teresa | 1810 comments Yes Susan, me too. Gideon is very fond of Gilly, that's obvious.

QNPoohBear | 1409 comments It's very refreshing to have a cousin character that is not at all interested in inheriting/trying to get rid of his cousin/prevent his cousin's marriage. Gideon is more like an older brother to Gilly.

QNPoohBear wrote: "It's very refreshing to have a cousin character that is not at all interested in inheriting/trying to get rid of his cousin/prevent his cousin's marriage. Gideon is more like an older brother to Gi..."

It is! Gideon is almost the exact opposite of Rule's cousin Mr Drelincourt in The Convenient Marriage.

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 459 comments I've started the audible book today, (I was in Bath over the weekend, taking the waters ;) ) I have read it before but not very frequently.

I'm already on chapter nine and not much has happened, but it's still absorbing, that's some storytelling!

Teresa | 1810 comments I was thinking myself Louise that it was kinda repetitious but yet I'm enjoying it. The cant is very obvious in this one and it makes for very funny reading.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Louise Sparrow wrote: "I've started the audible book today, (I was in Bath over the weekend, taking the waters ;) ) I have read it before but not very frequently.

I'm already on chapter nine and not much has happened, b..."

And how were the waters?

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 459 comments Warm and... full of flavour. But not nearly as disgusting as I thought they would be!

Oh crikey, that pause! hahahaha!

Did you swim in them, too?

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 459 comments No, it's not allowed. Apparently there is a new spa where you can have traditional bathing treatments though.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I've always wondered what they taste like. When I was a kid in Southern Oregon, there was a wonderful park (famous for its Shakespeare Festival) which had "Lithia water" in its fountains. I loved it - I thought it tasted like Alka Seltzer!

Carolm | 62 comments I have read this one many times, as it is a favourite. My copy is the 1981 Pan. I am looking forward to rereading this one again.

message 43: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 443 comments Karlyne wrote: "I've always wondered what they taste like. When I was a kid in Southern Oregon, there was a wonderful park (famous for its Shakespeare Festival) which had "Lithia water" in its fountains. I loved i..."

Did it have lithium in it!? Amazing - I wonder if that would be legal now?

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Nick wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "I've always wondered what they taste like. When I was a kid in Southern Oregon, there was a wonderful park (famous for its Shakespeare Festival) which had "Lithia water" in its foun..."

I don't know! It was natural, some kind of spring water, but not sulphuric. I think Lithia was a family name? I need to go find out!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments It was spring water with lithium oxide deposits, which are supposed to be quite beneficial, and it's still there today!

message 46: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 443 comments Wow - that sounds wonderful - Happy water!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Hmmm... I was a pretty happy 7 year old...

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4484 comments Mod
I'll be starting this read in a day or 2!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4484 comments Mod
& finished up to the end of chapter 12.

The main things that strikes me this time are the dialogue & how the strands of the story are so well woven together.

Moloch | 208 comments I wasn't thinking of reading this title, but your comments made me curious. I may start some time soon, I have some books I'd like to read next first.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.