The Fandom Entries & Monthly Readathons discussion

Chit Chat > Do you listen to music while reading?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

Lou (aliceinbagend) | 527 comments Mod
First off, what music are you guys into? And do ya listen to music while reading? If so, what kind?
For me I think it depends on which book and what kind of music and if I'm in the mood for it.
If I am in the mood for music while reading, I almost always listen to music by Two Steps From Hell, which is a really inspiring, classical-with-a-twist, music. I listened to All is Hell That Ends Well while reading Crown of Midnight (view spoiler) it was epic. I know TSFH have a pretty weird name, but you should totally check them out, their music is beautiful. I've added their latest song to the group's videos; Impossible is my favourite so far!

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Ragsdale | 12 comments My favorite music is anything Phillip Phillips and OneRepublic.

As for listening to music while reading, I listened to records while reading David Copperfield and that was pretty fun. Normally I don't listen to music though. Not because it's distracting, but for the reason that it's hard to find a soundtrack that matches the story completely.

I love the Impossible song you posted! I'll have to try listening to that while reading something similar sometime.

message 3: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) I like to listen to music while reading. I really like Panic! At The Disco, Twenty One Pilots, and Ansel Elgort. I like to to try to match my music with the book I'm reading. If I can't do that I just go on Spotify and look up Chill Vibes or something similar.

message 4: by Kelly Rose (new)

Kelly Rose | 55 comments Imagine Dragons is my favorite band. I love all of their songs. Seriously, Every. Single. One.
I also love oldies; 60s and 70s mainly. Love me some Motown and Disco music lol.

I usually don't listen to music when reading I get distracted enough as it is, but the exception is when I read Tolkien I listen to the LotR soundtrack.

message 5: by Lora (on hiatus) (last edited May 31, 2018 01:03PM) (new)

Lora (on hiatus) | 106 comments I loved listening to Sabrina Carpenter's Evolution album when I was first reading Divergent so whenever I heard any of her songs I'm instantly sad because: (ALLEGIANT SPOILER) (view spoiler)

message 6: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

Diana wrote: "My favorite music is anything Phillip Phillips and OneRepublic.

As for listening to music while reading, I listened to records while reading David Copperfield and that was pretty fun. Normally I ..."

Also, Evergreen <3<3
Ooh I'm hoping to read David Copperfield this summer. I haven't the slightest idea what it's about, but Charles Dickens wrote it, and I love his writing style, so it must be good ;') Yeah that's the trouble, matching music to book, but when you find a good match it's brilliant!

message 7: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

PsychPluralize wrote: "I like to listen to music while reading. I really like Panic! At The Disco, Twenty One Pilots, and Ansel Elgort. I like to to try to match my music with the book I'm reading. If I can't do that I j..."

Yeah, Ikr. Sometimes I literally just type in "Epic Music" in YouTube ;)

message 8: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

Kelly wrote: "Imagine Dragons is my favorite band. I love all of their songs. Seriously, Every. Single. One.
I also love oldies; 60s and 70s mainly. Love me some Motown and Disco music lol.

I usually don't list..."

My friends keep talking about Imagine Dragons, I really have no clue who they are... time to look them up ;)
I went through a phase where I used to listen to ALL the oldie songs, but more like the '40s to '60s xD
It can be distracting, especially if the song has lyrics.
I think I'm going to read The Silmarillion to the sound of the soundtrack of LotR now, thanks for the inspiration xDD

message 9: by Kelly Rose (new)

Kelly Rose | 55 comments LydiaMae wrote: "Diana wrote: "My favorite music is anything Phillip Phillips and OneRepublic.

As for listening to music while reading, I listened to records while reading David Copperfield and that was pretty fu..."

Oh my gosh I also had no idea what David Copperfield was about till a read it a few years back. Thought it was some sort of detective novel like Sherlock Holmes, boy was I wrong lol.

message 10: by Kelly Rose (new)

Kelly Rose | 55 comments LydiaMae wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Imagine Dragons is my favorite band. I love all of their songs. Seriously, Every. Single. One.

I usua..."

Haha, you must! Their music is so unique; they are like the genre-less band. I love 40s and 50s too! It reminds me of my Dad because he'd drive me to school and we'd listen to oldies on the radio. It's funny because as a teen, I hated 70s music and fashion, now I'm all over it lol. Yeah the lyrics are super distracting haha, that's why I listen to classical when I study.
Yas! When I finally get around to reading The Silmarillion, I am so doing that.

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments I usually listen to film scores while reading, from my favourite movies or tv shows. They help me get in the right mood, e.g. when I'm reading fantasy, I listen to City of Bones score or when reading dystopian Divergent or Hunger Games score. Sometimes I listen to music with lyrics, but I find it harder to concentrate on the book.

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments I'm on my phone so I can't edit the previous post, but forgot to mention, my favorite artists (that go great with reading) are Ruelle (so amazing, I discovered her through the Shadowhunters tv show), Banks, Raign, as for bands I enjoy Florence and the Machine and Imagine Dragons :)

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments @Hanna I loove Radioactive, it's one of my favourites :D it was the first song I knew from them. And then it played in the first episode of my fav show and since then I love it even more!

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments @Hanna that's awsome! No, it's The 100 :D But Shadowhunters was the show due to which I discovered Ruelle :)

message 15: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) The 100 is like a post-apocalyptic show where 100 teens are sent down to Earth. This is in the future. And everyone left Earth a long time ago due to nuclear radiation. So that's where the teens come in to see if it's safe to live on. There's also books. Which are pretty good.

message 16: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

PsychPluralize wrote: "The 100 is like a post-apocalyptic show where 100 teens are sent down to Earth. This is in the future. And everyone left Earth a long time ago due to nuclear radiation. So that's where the teens co..."

It's quite annoying because it sounds like something I'd like, but our library only has book 2 and 3 :/

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments @LydiaMae oh that sucks :/ But personally, I like the show a lot more, it's so good!!
@Hanna, the Shadowhunters show follows the books only loosely. There's of course all the characters and you'll recognize some plot lines, but that's it.

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments @Hanna yay that's great ;) hope you'll enjoy them both (I practically binged the first 3 seasons of The 100, I started watching it only last year when all the dvds were already out)!

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue (diesueschauerin) I have a spotify playlist with some instrumental songs...it's a mix of disney, pop songs and classical music :)

message 20: by Book Thief (last edited Jun 04, 2018 01:11PM) (new)

Book Thief (bookthief404) Hanna wrote:
Oh The 100! I heard of that and Shadowhunters but honestly, I haven't truly watch either of them. Is 100 a little bit like The Maze Runner? And for Shadowhunters, is it any different from the Mortal Instruments movie?
"

I would say that the Shadowhunters TV show is different from the Movie. I would also say that the movie is more accurate considering where the show is at now and the many things they have done that are just not what happened in the book. I stopped watching the TV show because I found it cringey and I was annoyed how it wasn't really sticking to the plot of the book. The directors have said that those who have read the book and are watching the TV show will notice them going a little off the book plot line but they are making a way of putting back on the right track? I dunno, at the moment it's kinda going weird and wrong, but yeah I stopped. Honestly, if they made the movie again but with the TV show cast it would be awesome but obviously that's not going to happen. But you should try the TV show and see for yourself if you like it. :)

message 21: by Emma Mellark (new)

Emma Mellark | 24 comments I listen to music while I do EVERYTHING. Even when I work on writing my novels. My friends think I'm crazy XD

I adore Imagine Dragons, Sabrina Carpenter, Honest Men, Walk the Moon, and lots of other random bands and artists. If you want to follow me on Spotify (I have A LOT of playlists) my name is captainsupertunes

message 22: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 8 comments LydiaMae wrote: "First off, what music are you guys into? And do ya listen to music while reading? If so, what kind?
For me I think it depends on which book and what kind of music and if I'm in the mood for it.
If..."

omg i love TSFH. I also like the Attack on titan soundtracks for action scenes, and ES posthumus.

message 23: by Dani (new)

Dani (tributewitchdemigodglader) | 11 comments I don't really listen to music while I read because I want to be able to either focus all of my attention on either the book or music. My music taste is really weird. I like Taylor Swift music, but I have to admit most of her songs are a little overdramatic and shallow. I also like the artists Christina Perri, Rachel Platten, Imagine Dragons, The script, and stuff like that.

archives.of.summer (thearchivesofsummer) My music choices are all over the board- AC/DC to Creedence Clearwater Revival to Walk The Moon to Lord Huron and Cher. But as for listing to music while I read, it’s either got to be dead quiet or I listen to rock.

message 25: by Mar ✨ (new)

Mar ✨ (carstairslover) | 101 comments LydiaMae wrote: "Diana wrote: "My favorite music is anything Phillip Phillips and OneRepublic.

As for listening to music while reading, I listened to records while reading David Copperfield and that was pretty fu..."

you need to read A tale of two cities and Oliver Twist

message 26: by Mar ✨ (new)

Mar ✨ (carstairslover) | 101 comments I like to listen a song according to what I'm reading, I listen Cab Calloway sometimes or Nirvana, or just romantic songs. Sometimes in the books some authors named some songs and I like to listen them, even if I don't like them.