The Great American Read discussion

Old Posts 2018 > First Group Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Hi,

Our first GAR group discussion will be on the book 1984 just to get started. Several people just finished or are starting it, partly because it is on the Face Book Reading schedule. We will select the next group read on Friday. Don't worry about keeping pace with new books, the discussions will remain open.

We won't follow the Facebook schedule otherwise, unless it roughly
coincides with what WE want to read anyway.

Please go to the nomination thread to submit the 5 books that you are most interested in reading soon. I will post a winner on Friday night, and move the discussion page up to the active discussions.

If there is a tie - the tie will be broken by the # of people who said that they have the book already, and/or by additional seconds. If needed I'll pick one as my 5th nomination. You can second any book (other than the ones you nominated.)

I'll post and update a tally once in a while to let you know where we stand.

If you're already read a book on the active discussion, please post a comment or two to help build up a little momentum.

Comments?

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Looking for Alaska is our Next Group Read. Please add a note to the discussion to let us know that you are planning to read it next. If you've already read it, feel free to make comments!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) What is the time frame for the book reads?

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Bruyere wrote: "What is the time frame for the book reads?"

The plan was to bring in a new book every 2 weeks, but I think we should keep each one in the active folder for a month. What do you think?

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I'm not sure how to approach the group discussions. Should we wait until we finish the book to comment? Should we comment as we go along and read something we consider of importance? Do we need to use spoilers?

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Sheila wrote: "I'm not sure how to approach the group discussions. Should we wait until we finish the book to comment? Should we comment as we go along and read something we consider of importance? Do we need to ..."

It's up to you. I like to post once in a while as I'm reading. Yes, cover up spoilers. Use spoiler notation if you say something that could spoil the ending. Click on "(Some html is OK)" above for the symbols to use before and after a sentence you want to cover up.
Excellent question btw.

message 7: by Tasha (last edited Jun 02, 2018 04:32AM) (new)

Tasha I think that sounds great. I think as people like to comment while they are reading, using the spoiler tags are so important! :)

message 8: by Tasha (new)

Tasha NancyJ wrote: "Bruyere wrote: "What is the time frame for the book reads?"

The plan was to bring in a new book every 2 weeks, but I think we should keep each one in the active folder for a month. What do you think?"

I would love to have the discussions open for a least a month as I'm sure I can't keep up with the 2 week schedule with all the other groups/books going on. ;)

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Tasha wrote: "I think that sounds great. I think as people like to comment while they are reading, using the spoiler tags are so important! :)"

Tasha, do you know if there are some good instructions for posting that I could copy for the discussion area? Is there anything else missing that should be here?

I've been working all night and there are still little things I couldn't figure out how to do. So A Tree Grows in Brooklyn still has a title in Polish instead of English. LOL.

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 72 comments I love this book.

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "I love this book."

Quick Skye go to the nomination thread and pick a few books from the leaders. I want to put up the poll soon to give people time to get the books. All the libraries here have displays of all the books. If your does too, you won't have to go the BNmarketplace.

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 72 comments I can't find it, Nancy!!!

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Skye wrote: "I can't find it, Nancy!!!"

We have a thread with the list, and I posted this for you on another thread, but here goes. You can vote here (for PBS), and at least see the books/synopses.
http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american...

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 72 comments I found your other post; Linda, you are so very kind.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Skye wrote: "I found your other post; Linda, you are so very kind."

Sorry, went to bed, and there are lots of threads to catch up on, so didn't see that you had already responded on the other one! :D