Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Gridlinked (Agent Cormac #1, Polity Universe #3)
This topic is about Gridlinked
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Gridlinked [July 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
July 1st.

Terry | 270 comments Anybody else going to read this? I just finished Shadow of the Scorpion and am planning to start this one this week.

Victor (ace-geek) | 18 comments I read this a while back, and really liked it. I remember finding the character Arian Pelter interesting.

Also, (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Adrian wrote: "I read this a while back, and really liked it. I remember finding the character Arian Pelter interesting.

Also, [spoilers removed]"

I haven't really made much progress yet, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series, and the others by Asher as well.

message 5: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 17960 comments Mod
I might loop back around and join you, if I have time in the next few days... I didn't make it when the book was originally scheduled...

Terry | 270 comments Iain wrote: "I might loop back around and join you, if I have time in the next few days... I didn't make it when the book was originally scheduled..."

Sounds good. I have another buddy read that I think I'll be finished with by the end of the week, and that's when I was going to get back to this one. I'd only just started and I'm definitely a slow reader!

message 7: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm more of a book a day kind of person, so i have plenty of time to make it back, I think...

Terry | 270 comments Iain wrote: "I'm more of a book a day kind of person, so i have plenty of time to make it back, I think..."

Wow, yeah, you'll have no trouble. I'll be more like a week or 10 days once I get back to this, so you'll have plenty of time.

Terry | 270 comments I have started back into this one now. About a quarter of the way in. I agree Adrian, totally fascinated with Mr. Crane. Curious to see where it goes with him.

message 10: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was clearly talking out of my butt... but here I am, 18 months later, looking to give this series another go, most likely at a faster pace, as a sci-fi series to toss in between other reads...

Terry | 270 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I was clearly talking out of my butt... but here I am, 18 months later, looking to give this series another go, most likely at a faster pace, as a sci-fi series to toss in between other reads..."

Haha, I feel your pain, Iain! I finished this one but have never continued. It’s a great series so far and I look forward to reading more of them.

message 12: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jan 07, 2020 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I was clearly talking out of my butt... but here I am, 18 months later, looking to give this series another go, most likely at a faster pace, as a sci-fi series to toss in bet..."

I can probably BR the 2nd Cormac book in the next few weeks, after I read this one... I manage more books now that I've sped up my audiobooks even more than I did back in 2018...

Not sure what your reading availability is...

Terry | 270 comments I’m booked up for the next two weeks, and then I’d be open. Not sure I can keep up though as I’m generally 10 days to two weeks on books this size.

message 14: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jan 07, 2020 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "I’m booked up for the next two weeks, and then I’d be open. Not sure I can keep up though as I’m generally 10 days to two weeks on books this size."

That's why I only committed to getting you one book further in the series...

We can just use the archived thread if it exists, or this thread if future empty threads were deleted, and make it as far as possible together before I zoom ahead... I'll try to wait for you for book 3 and continue the BR like we never quit :)

Depends how much I want to rush, once I start reading again... I do alot of mood reading, these days, since even doing tons of BRs doesn't take up too much on my time...

On my 17th book of the year right now, 8th BR... but I've mostly stacked BRs onto the same days, and chained them together... 3x audio speed is about 90 pages/hr...

Terry | 270 comments Wow, Iain, that is a lot of books and fast audio! I can do audio usually at 1.75 or 2.0, but 3 is lightning. I work a lot of hours off and on, so that hurts my reading overall. I don’t want to hold you back. I’ll certainly give the next one a shot though and post my comments even if you do move on.

message 16: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "Wow, Iain, that is a lot of books and fast audio! I can do audio usually at 1.75 or 2.0, but 3 is lightning. I work a lot of hours off and on, so that hurts my reading overall. I don’t want to hold..."

I drop some things to 2.5x, like I used to drop some things to 1.5x when I listened to everything at 2x... I only found an app to try doing 2.5-3x back in September... but now I do basically everything at 3x, and think I could do some things at 3.5x if I had a faster app...

Alot of it is has to do with story complexity, and others with narrator... it's easier to do 3x once I'm familiar with characters/worlds... we'll see how Malazan goes... I'm planning to push ahead on that series this year...

Terry | 270 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Terry wrote: "Wow, Iain, that is a lot of books and fast audio! I can do audio usually at 1.75 or 2.0, but 3 is lightning. I work a lot of hours off and on, so that hurts my reading overall. I don’..."

Same way for speed and complexity. Good luck with the Malazan books - I know I’d have to slow those down for sure.

message 18: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Terry wrote: "Wow, Iain, that is a lot of books and fast audio! I can do audio usually at 1.75 or 2.0, but 3 is lightning. I work a lot of hours off and on, so that hurts my r..."

First readthrough of Gardens of the Moon, I mostly did at 1-1.25x speed... 2nd readthrough I did at 1.5-2x speed... I've only done the first 3 books before...

Planning to read faster this time... as in not follow a 6 week BR plan that made it too easy to fall off... just gonna do at my own pace, whenever I'm rested up for the next tome (pallette cleansing doesn't take too long when you read as fast as me... I can pop out a quick fun side read in 3-4hrs...)

Terry | 270 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Terry wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Terry wrote: "Wow, Iain, that is a lot of books and fast audio! I can do audio usually at 1.75 or 2.0, but 3 is lightning. I work a lot of hours off and on, so t..."

I've started the Malazan series twice now. Got through 3 on the first try and got through 6 on the second try. Figure third time will be a charm. They were taking me a bunch of time to get through. I never did try the audio though. Might try that the next time around.

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Terry wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Terry wrote: "Wow, Iain, that is a lot of books and fast audio! I can do audio usually at 1.75 or 2.0, but 3 is lightning. I work a lot of ..."

Not sure when you wanted to start Line of Polity, but for awhile I was confusing out Line of Polity BR with Gridlinked, so I finally started Gridlinked this morning... I'll be done with it later today, just went back and finished another book I started yesterday before bed...

I feel like I did myself a disservice, starting the Polity Universe with Prador Moon & Shadow of the Scorpion, then abandoning... I don't feel like they were a good indicator of what Gridlinked would be like... both were written later to fill in backstory, if I remember correctly...

Gridlinked has been pretty action heavy, reminding me of Minority Report and/or Fifth Element... and the transition from intro to main story, reminds me of some video games, where they give you a tutorial where the MC is overpowered, then something causes them to lose that power and have to relearn everything... this Gridlinking thing is very similar...

I'm glad I'm giving this series a second shot... should be open to do Line of Polity in a couple days...

Terry | 270 comments Starting in a couple of days works good for me. I should finish up two of the books I’m reading by Wednesday I hope, so I could start on Thursday.

I was ok with both Prador Moon and Shadow of the Scorpion, but I did like Gridlinked better. I’d heard that they got better after that.

Terry | 270 comments I was able to start on The Line Of Polity today. I’m expecting it will take me a week to get through.

Terry | 270 comments I’m about 25% in now. Very interesting start. I’m especially interested in the scientist and the Jain technology. I know there are some books later in the series more involved with that.

I’m listening to the audio, but I’m tempted to switch over to reading it. I go faster with the audiobook, but feel like I miss portions that slip by unnoticed. If I read it, I go quite a bit slower but pick up the story better. Can’t decide.

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sometimes I look up wiki summaries to make sure I didn’t miss anything... I did that with the ending of Gridlinked... Neal Asher actually posted a simpler, more infodumpy ending to Gridlinked on his website at some point, that requires less inference...

message 25: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Started... I think my favorite thing so far, is this Red Riding Hood book that keeps changing...

Terry | 270 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Started... I think my favorite thing so far, is this Red Riding Hood book that keeps changing..."

Yes! I’m curious where that is supposed to ultimately lead.

message 27: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Started... I think my favorite thing so far, is this Red Riding Hood book that keeps changing..."

Yes! I’m curious where that is supposed to ultimately lead."

I wonder if it's linked to that other plot thread, where someone thought a prank was being played on them, because real world threats matched fictional creatures from a childhood story / game manual...

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I paused Line of Polity around 70% yesterday, went to sleep, started a Ranger's Apprentice book before work, then work didn't let me read much today...

I'm going to finish Line of Polity soon, then probably take another break from the series... something about the narration is just making me zone out... in one ear and out the other... I also just stopped playing Path of Exile, after 6 weeks, and went back to WoW, which just released a content patch, which has me paying attention to THAT story a little bit...

Converging issues, and I feel like I only grasped the broad strokes of the plot so far (and there doesn't seem to be a wiki/summary for books 2+ in the series, like there as for book 1)

I know: (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments No worries, Iain. I just made it to the 50% mark. I won’t finish it until later in the week at best. I understand what you’re saying about missing something. I’m feeling that way too, but still enjoying.