Jack Reacher Series discussion

General Topics > Where to start?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 52 comments Kevin, I have read, and loved, them ALL, some better than others, for sure. My favorite is THE ENEMY but.... to answer your question: yes, you can read them out-of-order and enjoy them that way but.... IF you really want to get an understanding of Reacher's background w/ family/love interest, etc., I would start at the beginning and #1 KILLING FLOOR is a damn good book and would get you "hooked" and #3 and 4 are pretty darn good also plus you'll meet Jodie, his only real love. You will not be disappointed in Reacher; I guarantee it !!

message 2: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (mrscarm) Hey Kevin, I have read every one as well and although I started getting to know Reacher in The Hard Way, which is still my favorite book out of them all. I agree with Betsy about starting with The Killing Floor. Enjoy, this character has been and continues to be my favorite one in a series!

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 52 comments The only one that I really didn't like was the last one, I think, THE WANTED MAN and.... Child's latest Reacher novel comes out September 2nd. Woohoo !!
Kevin, You will get hooked on Reacher no matter where you start although it makes sense to go through chronologically , and once you get going, it will NOT be a daunting task. He is one helluva unique, interesting character = THE best !!

message 4: by Chinmoy (new)

Chinmoy Gayan | 4 comments Reacher will get you hooked no matter where you start from.I started from one shot this year and completed the 9th out of 18 novels.Planning to finish this year for sure.

message 5: by Marian (new)

Marian The Killing floor is a great book Kevin..enjoy!

message 6: by Gareth (new)

Gareth Egerton (gegerton) | 5 comments I originally read them in published order, starting with Killing Floor, but I now re-read the entire series at least once a year and I always go in chronological order and start with The Enemy.

message 7: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Griffin | 5 comments I read them in chronological order, not necessarily by choice (the wife already had The Enemy) and have to say that it puts all the future references of Reacher's past into perspective and you can appreciate why he does things the way he does. So I read The Enemy, The Affair, then Killing Floor and they are still may favourites (am currently reading Persuader).

message 8: by Pierre (new)

Pierre Lalonde (petemoon) | 17 comments Victor the assassin. he's smart ,dead smart ..great novels by Tom Woods

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Chilvers (kevinchilversauthor) Hi new to the group. I am a great Reacher fan though I have yet to read them all. I'll just say hello now though as I have a reading and writing list that currently exceeds the hours in the day.

message 10: by Bru (new)

Bru (brucoder) | 107 comments Mod
Hi Kevin, welcome to the group! "Addiction is a terrible thing." ;-)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's what I plan to do. Killing floor 1st, then the Affair. I figure to read the book that introduces him, then read the book that explains what happened a half a year prior to the Killing floor. It goes into what was going on when he was discharged from the military, ( I think ).

The I figure to read the rest of the series in the order in witch Lee wrote the novels.

message 12: by Ron (new)

Ron Woolum | 13 comments That is how I started the series too.Have read all of them, also very good books by Vince Flynn, the Mitch Rapp series.

message 13: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (reeniebell) I look at these books every time that I'm in the library, however there about 10 by Lee Child, and I simply don't know where to start.
I've seen that you suggest the Killing Floor, however my library doesn't hold that, any other suggestions of where to start/ what order to read them in?

The Enemy
The visitor
One shot
Persuader
61 hours
A wanted man
Vengeance
Never go back
Personal
Make me

message 14: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Griffin | 5 comments Reenie, if your library doesn't have Killing Floor, start with The Enemy. It's chronologically the first book in the Reacher Timeline so you won't lose anything by waiting for Killing Floor. After The Enemy you can read The Affair which bridges the gap between The Enemy and Killing Floor.

message 15: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (reeniebell) Thank you for your input, Leigh! I really hope to enjoy some Lee Child!

message 16: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Nolan (jlnolan) | 1 comments Hi, I'm new to the group and here on goodreads. I have read several of the Jack Reacher books and working my way through the rest. I just thought I would say "hello" and I look forward to being part of the discussions.

message 17: by Ron (new)

Ron Woolum | 13 comments Hey J.L., I have read them all, great books,you will enjoy them

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (estoyaquidurmiendomeyahoocom) Read them all, loved them all! Nice get away in each and every book!