THE Group for Authors! discussion

Start Here > NEW! Now You Can Send a Customizable Message to Readers Who Enter Your Premium Giveaway

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaclyn (last edited May 30, 2018 12:01AM) (new)

Jaclyn (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Hi Authors,

We’re pleased to announce a new addition to our giveaway offering. Starting today, authors running a Premium giveaway can include a custom message to be sent to entrants after the giveaway ends. This will give you the opportunity to connect with the audience you’ve built, invite them to follow you on Goodreads, or provide even more reasons for them to buy your book.

Here’s how it works (in three easy steps):

1. When you set up your Premium giveaway, you’ll see an extra field to enter a message to share with entrants after the giveaway ends (up to 1,000 characters). Don’t forget to include a greeting and a closing.

2. Once you’ve set up your giveaway, Goodreads will send you a preview of how your email will look to readers.

3. The day after your giveaway ends, Goodreads will send the message out to everyone who entered but didn’t win.

For more detailed information, please read our author blog post here.

message 2: by ☕ Lachgas ♿ (last edited May 30, 2018 03:06AM) (new)

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) Luckily I'm not allowed to take part in Giveaways due to my location - being spammed that way would certainly not make it likely to enter a giveaway at all anymore.

Will there be an option for the users to say they don't wanna be spammed in form of a checkbox?

edit: do readers/entrants get informed about this new possibility when entering the giveaway so that they can decide not to enter if they don't want such "information"?

message 3: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments ☕ Lachgas ♿ wrote: "Will there be an option for the users to say they don't wanna be spammed in form of a checkbox?"

Recipients can opt out of receiving the emails by navigating to the Emails tab of their Account Settings and making sure to uncheck the box next to "Send me updates about giveaways I've entered". To submit settings, recipients will need to click on “Save email settings” at the bottom of the page.

Important note: email addresses of entrants are never shared; Goodreads sends this message on the sponsor’s behalf.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) That might just be me but I wouldn't think of getting "look here you can buy my book" mails when asking for "updates on the giveaway" because that is not an update on the giveaway - it's just advertising.
By updates I would expect something like "more books available" or "giveaway just lasts longer" or "you won/lost" but certainly no plain advertising after! the giveaway.

And I do understand now why Europeans aren't allowed to take part in giveaways anymore - that's not in compliance with GDRP because that does not allow opt-out and recquires explicitly opt-in.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin Praytor E.G. wrote: "Help me understand something--when giveaways didn't cost the author/publisher, sending a message to readers was greatly frowned upon. What has changed?"

I think you answered your own question.

message 6: by Shaun (last edited May 31, 2018 02:40AM) (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments E.G. wrote: "Help me understand something--when giveaways didn't cost the author/publisher, sending a message to readers was greatly frowned upon. What has changed?"

We strongly urge against authors private messaging members and still stand by this. That said, we do also recognize how valuable it is for sponsors to be able to reach people who have shown direct interest in their book. After countless meetings, back-and-forths and feedback reviews, we've now finally found a way to do that while also respecting user's privacy and without having to share any personal account details of entrants — voila!

Edited to add: messages need to adhere to guidelines and should add value to the giveaway experience for non-winners.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 137 comments Boy am I glad I don't take part in Giveaways anymore, as I really hate spam.