The Great American Read discussion

Nominations and Suggestions 2018 > June Suggestions, Ideas, Questions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Please post any ideas you have for our group. Remember that our book choices (for now) are limited to the 100 books on the Great American Read list. When the show is over, we might evolve.

To suggest which books to read next, please look for the NOMINATIONS thread. This process will become more structured as we move forward, but not too structured, since many people want to read as many of the books as they can in the next 4 months.

Please suggest ideas for other things that we can do as a group, or individually to promote the overall goals of the GAR initiative.

If you would like to organize an activity relating to the project, propose it here, or just go ahead and start a new topic about it. I can set up new folders or categories for you if needed.

If you have experience as a moderator or gr librarian, and are willing to help or field questions, please let me know.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Hi,
Not sure if folks would want to go this route, but.....
A few years ago, I participated in 2015: The Year of Reading Women.
Since the list was extensive, it was impossible to read all of them. So there would be several threads happening at once. For those who did not want to read Virginia Woolf, they could read a different text.
Those discussions are still up, I believe.

message 3: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2018 01:52AM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Hi,
Since the list was extensive, it was impossible to read all of them. ..."

Thanks Linda! Do you remember - Did they stagger the start dates, or start several per month? How long did they keep each one in the active area?

Right now we have 2 Group Reads started.

Since you're interested in books about women....
Do you happen to know if any groups are planning group reads or celebrations for the 100th anniversary of the women's right to vote? It's this year for the Brits, and 2010 for the U.S. (That's my next passion. I want to get something going in my community.)

message 4: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 91 comments Mod
I have another suggestion. The reading schedule(two a month) is fine for now but for people who don't read quickly there could possibly be a revisit the book nomination added in a few months for those who didn't get to it the first time around.

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Janet wrote: "I have another suggestion. The reading schedule(two a month) is fine for now but for people who don't read quickly there could possibly be a revisit the book nomination added in a few months for th..."

Do you mean restart the nominations, or have a catch-up-re-read of a book? We're going to keep all the threads open for the duration of the project, so that should help. I'd like to have at least one "big book" too.

message 6: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 91 comments Mod
I mean have a category(after a year or so) where people nominate one of the books we have already read to read that month. When it is one of the monthly selections people are more likely to read it. It would be an additional choice. I belong to a group called Catching Up on Classics which has a revisit the shelf category every month.
We nominate in four categories but few people read all four books.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Hi,
Since the list was extensive, ..."

Hi!
I don't know of any groups atm. I was invited to join the other group, as I was this one. Since I usually don't read much in English, it meant time away from my work-related reading, but I was glad I joined and participated, and there was a pretty diverse group of authors, as far as ethnicity and nationality were concerned.
The idea initially was to do one-three readings a month, and folks could choose whichever one(s) they wanted to participate in. Within that book's folder, someone volunteered to moderate (this group had a few moderators), and set up a reading schedule-usually this was about 100pp a week, since we were all reading other things.
Eventually, if a book wasn't chosen for a large group read, some of us split off into twos and threes, and just used the group's sites for our comments. I also split completely from the group later and did indvidual buddy read of a couple of works with another member, and we just pmed each other a lot.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments I think the looser the better, and I think it's too early to worry about the future read handling. One should be able to join in any discussion or do a buddy read to post. For people who like schedules, just be organized and lead/run the discussions. :)

We'll all get there....motivate us! ;)

By the way, did I tell you I'm part of the GR group Everyone Has Read This One But Me? I have too many books to devour. But I love this group so far!

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Janet wrote: "I mean have a category(after a year or so) where people nominate one of the books we have already read to read that month. When it is one of the monthly selections people are more likely to read it..."

Oh sure, we do that on the "Everyone has read this but me group" It's the Catch-up read. I love it. It would fit perfectly here.

You're thinking ahead of me. I honestly wasn't sure we'd last that long, but we have a lot of books, so why not?

Some people are focused on trying to read as many of the books as they can by Sept/Oct for the TV show. It's a sprint for them, but it doesn't have to be. Loretta just asked me "where's the fire?" LOL Yeah, where?

message 10: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Colleen wrote: "I think the looser the better, and I think it's too early to worry about the future read handling. One should be able to join in any discussion or do a buddy read to post. For people who like sched..."

Thanks Colleen. That's the way I usually think, let's see what happens. But I want to set up a couple months in advance because I see what happens every month on EHRTBM when people can't join in on a read because they didn't have enough notice to get the books. Some books have long wait lists at the library.

I think the buddy reads might be a good way to handle the people who want to follow the fast track.