The Great American Read discussion

Old Posts 2018 > Group Reads - would you like to participate?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
We'd like to set up some group reads for this group, focusing only on books from the Great American Read List.

My tentative plan is to start a new book every two weeks. We can speed that up or slow it down depending on demand. You might choose to read only one a month, or five, or you might already be reading a GAR book with another group.

This is a very new group, and I think it will grow quickly, and more people will jump in on discussions.

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2018 10:21PM) (new)

Who would like to participate in a group read, or a buddy read with other people?

What pace works for you?

Are you in other groups that are reading, or might read GAR books?

Most groups planned their June reads before the show was aired, but many of the GAR books are popular with book clubs. If you come across any upcoming discussions, please post them here in case the timing is a perfect match for someone.

Some group discussions are uploaded to the book pages on June 1, so they'll be easier to find then.

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Lauron (dlauron) | 13 comments I'd like to participate. Once a month or every two weeks works for me.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) I will try to participate as well.

message 5: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) I'll do my best to participate : )

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin814) | 20 comments I would like to participate.

message 7: by Jerome (new)

Jerome (tnjed01) | 21 comments I would like to participate.

message 8: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Awesome. We are starting with 1984. We will select a new book on Friday. Please nominate the books you would like to read first.

message 9: by Nyla (new)

Nyla Panzilius (nylap) | 38 comments I'm in! Some titles I'd like to suggest, based on overlap with my existing TBR list . . .
A Confederacy of Dunces
A Tree Grown in Brooklyn
The Handmaid's Tale
One Hundred Years of Solitude

But I'll go along with whatever we decide.

message 10: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2018 11:21PM) (new)

Nyla wrote: "I'm in! Some titles I'd like to suggest, based on overlap with my existing TBR list . . .
A Confederacy of Dunces
A Tree Grown in Brooklyn
The Handmaid's Tale
One Hundred Years of Solitude

But I..."

Welcome! We have a few nominations for Handmaid's Tale already, so we'll likely read it fairly soon. I adored A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

If you didn't see the nominations thread yet, be sure to post your list there too.

message 11: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'll try for at least 1 book a month. I have read 32 books on the list already so it will depend on the books and whether I feel like rereading any...which is very possible since some of these were read many years ago. ;)

message 12: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Tasha wrote: "I'll try for at least 1 book a month. I have read 32 books on the list already so it will depend on the books and whether I feel like rereading any...which is very possible since some of these were..."

Great! Check out the nominations if you didn't already, to help pick one that you can read in June.

message 13: by Celia (last edited May 31, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Celia (cinbread19) I am a pretty avid reader but there are at least 10 books I have never heard of. I am hoping we can do a group read on one of them. The one I am most interested in is The Intuitionist, but I am willing to do 1 group read in June on any of them.
They are:
Bless Me, Ultima
The Coldest Winter Ever
Doña Bárbara
Flowers in the Attic
GhostSwan Song
Swan Song
Tales of the City
The Intuitionist
Things Fall Apart
This Present Darkness
Watchers
White Teeth

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane I'm in! I've already downloaded 1984 from my library. I think a book every two weeks is a good pace. We can participate in the group read based on the time we have available and whether or not we have read the book before. I read 1984 in school - but am anxious to revisit it as an adult.

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Diane wrote: "I'm in! I've already downloaded 1984 from my library. I think a book every two weeks is a good pace. We can participate in the group read based on the time we have available and whether or not we h..."

Excellent! I look forward to discussing it with you!
Check out the nomination page for the next 1-2 reads and get your preferences noted.

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Celia wrote: "I am a pretty avid reader but there are at least 10 books I have never heard of. I am hoping we can do a group read on one of them. The one I am most interested in is The Intuitionist, but I am wil..."<

Hi Celia, Welcome!

Be sure to put in some nominations by tomorrow.

I want to read The Intuitionist too this summer (maybe in July). It looks like it could generate a deep discussion.

message 17: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I would like to participate. Not sure I can do a new one every 2 weeks though. I've got 2 of the books going right now. Watership Down and Owen Meany

message 18: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Sheila wrote: "I would like to participate. Not sure I can do a new one every 2 weeks though. I've got 2 of the books going right now. Watership Down and Owen Meany"

Welcome. Feel free to comment on the books you're reading now, and others might jump right in. Put in your nominations soon for the next reads. Include Owen Meany - mention you already started.

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Thanks Nancy

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim Townsend | 6 comments I would also like to participate.

Jim

message 21: by KP (new)

KP | 26 comments I will participate.