Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
FRINGE SCIENCE > The Orchestrated Objective Reduction Theory

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam Griffin (estheticapostle) | 1 comments Hello,

I’m interested to see if anyone has heard about the Orchestrated Objective Reduction Theory of Consciousness.

“Orchestrated objective reduction (Orch-OR) is a hypothesis that consciousness in the brain originates from processes inside neurons, rather than from connections between neurons (the conventional view). The mechanism is held to be a quantum physics process called objective reduction that is orchestrated by molecular structures called microtubules. Objective reduction is proposed to be influenced by non-computable factors imbedded in spacetime geometry which thus may account for the Hard Problem of Consciousness (Subjective Experience). The hypothesis was put forward in the early 1990s by theoretical physicist Roger Penrose and anaesthesiologist and psychologist Stuart Hameroff.”
~ Wikipedia

I suggest watching this video to see Dr. Hameroff explain the theory: https://youtu.be/Xx0SsffdMBw

The theory seems to account for some of the most fascinating shifts we experience in consciousness. For example, the effects of anesthesia, LSD, mescaline, psilocybin, and DMT. Alzheimer’s seems to be linked to degrading microtubules.

While the biological and quantum science may still need improvements, this theory has enormous philosophical implications and evidence is being collected in its favor. It is very disheartening that this theory seems to be widely ignored.

message 2: by Coia (new)

Coia Preston | 2 comments We discussed this briefly in my English 102 class talking about how it is not biologically feasible or something along those lines (I can’t remember verbatim what was said). Thank you for bringing this up! My professor recommended a few scholarly journals that I didn’t have time to read over during the semester. Once I find the links, I can post them on here so that you, and anyone else interested, can read them as well.

message 3: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2871 comments Have frozen this thread as unless I'm missing something it relates to this existing discussion thread below (please repost in that thread):

Is the brain the origin of our consciousness? OR is the brain merely a receiver? https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.