Oakville Reads discussion

Turtles All the Way Down
This topic is about Turtles All the Way Down
Turtles All the Way Down > Question #7: The Ending

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 29, 2018 02:18PM) (new)

Many readers of Turtles All the Way Down, including those who love the novel, were a little bit put-out by the way that it ended.

How do you feel about the conclusion?
Do you wish it had a more “textbook” happy ending, or did you find that it was suitable considering the rest of the narrative?

kang the destroyer | 3 comments I kinda felt like it was lazy writing. There was all this anticipation for what happend to the father, and then he is just dead. And everyone is pretty emotionless about it. I dont think this is very realistic. But i feel that way about the whole book, everything is so focused on Aza, that no one sees others pain, like, daisy who works her ass off while her family struggles with money, david that has no mother and really dont receive any money from everything.

kang the destroyer | 3 comments *love not money, david (is his name david??? i dont remember haha) dont recieve any love

message 4: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia | 13 comments Mod
kang wrote: "I kinda felt like it was lazy writing. There was all this anticipation for what happend to the father, and then he is just dead. And everyone is pretty emotionless about it. I dont think this is ve..."

That's an interesting point - that people don't see each other's pain. It does seem to be a trend in the novel and is probably something John Green incorporated on purpose to tie in with Aza's OCD. After all, most mental illnesses are invisible and easily ignored by other people, which can make those suffering feel very alone.

As to the conclusion of the mystery element, I'm not sure I'd classify the ending as "lazy writing", but it was a little disappointing to find that Davis's father was dead all along. Although, I honestly don't what other ending would have been more satisfying. Any ideas?

kang the destroyer | 3 comments Thank you for your comment :). Now, i myself am not a writer, so no, i would not have any idea how to finish this story. But i have read John Greens books , and i just feel like he could do alot better. And about not seing others pain, i just feel like joh green is so good with going around all the charaters, but in this book, its all focused on Aza. And not in a good way. Anyway i go more into depth with this on a review i did on this book. Its on my page;)

message 6: by Maureen (new)

Maureen B. | 212 comments kang the wrote: "Thank you for your comment :). Now, i myself am not a writer, so no, i would not have any idea how to finish this story. But i have read John Greens books , and i just feel like he could do alot be..."

Kang's made some good points--the ending could've been more believable--or not, as in maybe the tuatara ate him,heh. It is also true that Aza's self-absorption upsets and angers others but this is how it plays out in real life too. People don't want to hang out with people who have too many 'issues'. And, sadly, in mental illness, people are usually so involved with their own pain, they have little imagination, empathy and/or energy left to see the pain in others.

On the other hand, there were passages in the book describing Aza's inner life that were incredibly moving.