Play Book Tag discussion

Do Not Say We Have Nothing
This topic is about Do Not Say We Have Nothing
May 2018: Family Drama > Do not say we have nothing

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ardene (last edited May 29, 2018 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ardene (booksnpeaches) This book was fabulous!

Music, silence, listening, family, mathematics, hidden communication, and China. All in one book.

The book covers the panorama of China's history from the 1940s-1990s, but by focusing on one family and several of the characters in each generation it gives not factual detail, but a perspective on the emotional and psychological fabric of individuals, the personal and professional losses they suffer, and the long-term effects on the people of China.

I hope to do a re-read focusing on some of the themes and motifs that interest me the most.

A more linear description is that this is a book about the lives of three generations of a Chinese family. Wen the Dreamer, Big Mother Knife, Swirl, and Ba Lute survive the Japanese occupation & the Communist revolution. Their descendants, particularly Sparrow and Zhuli and another character, Jiang Kai, are young adults during the cultural revolution (1966-1976), and the third generation are Li-Ling (Marie) in Canada and Ai-Ming studying for college entrance exams in Beijing in 1989 when the protests at Tiananmen Square occur.

It took me most of the month to read because it is a book to savor.

Booknblues | 7115 comments I loved this book as well. I think it made my top 10 the year I read it.

Anita Pomerantz | 7001 comments Oh I just finished this recently and totally agree with your review. Such a rich book with incredible depth . . .definitely one that could stand up to a re-read!

message 4: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie Another one that I need to return to. I started reading it when my life was very stressful and busy and I didn’t have the time it needed.

message 5: by Idit (new) - added it

Idit | 1028 comments Sounds tempting. Thanks!

Tracy (tstan) | 1241 comments This is such a good book!

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9665 comments I appreciated it, but cane in under the rave, as per my style these days.