Great American Read List discussion

Archive > Share Your Strategy for Reading the List

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
I plan to read along with the group, both the monthly novel and book series selections. The only book I won't reread is Wuthering Heights, because I read that this year (Feb. 9-15). I'm also currently reading A Game of Thrones—A Song of Ice and Fire #1 (since April 21st). I'll continue that series.

I am an active member of another group. It's possible that their selections will also be from The Great American Read list, so I may at times be reading ahead.

What is your strategy for reading the list? Do you plan to participate in our monthly novel, book series or both? Do you have a different plan as to how you'll choose? Let us know!

If you're joining in with group reads or doing it in your own way, please share beneath the folder Members' Progress. The topic How to Create a Virtual Bookshelf and Log has simple instructions. It's a great way for members to follow and encourage one another!

message 2: by Rebeca (new)

Rebeca (beckykong) I've been reading books that are on the list that I own but have never read.

message 3: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Loretta wrote: "Lavan wrote: "I plan to read along with the group, both the monthly novel and book series selections. The only book I won't reread is Wuthering Heights, because I read that this year (Feb. 9-15). I..."

I'm embarrassed to admit that while I did at one point begin reading Pride and Prejudice, I did not finish it. Not because it wasn't a good book or worth my time. I set it aside to focus on writing and when I started reading again (a couple years later) I'd forgotten about it. I'm glad that The Great American Read list gives me reason to revisit and finish that novel.

Feel free to add your TGAR to-read list to your personal bookshelf. Other members have done that and I think it's a good idea. However members would like to go about reading the list is encouraged, including side-reads.

Thank you for contributing to group read discussions and I'm pleased that you'll continue to do so!

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Rebeca wrote: "I've been reading books that are on the list that I own but have never read."

Makes sense. Why buy or borrow when there are already some within reach?
How many owned list books do you have left to read, Rebeca?

I think I have 19 stand-alone novels and 20 from book series that I own and have yet to read.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 35 comments My plan is to read what the group reads, at least the monthly novel. Some of the books I read a long time ago, so I will do re-reads.

message 6: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:41PM) (new)

Cindy wrote: "My plan is to read what the group reads, at least the monthly novel. Some of the books I read a long time ago, so I will do re-reads."

I'm glad you'll be participating in our monthly book club, Cindy, and maybe read some book series as well!
I feel the same way. With the exception of Wuthering Heights, it's been years since I've read anything else on The Great American Read list. This will give me a reason to reread, rate, and review them on GR.

message 7: by Toni (new)

Toni Gary I read more than one book at a time. I plan to read the group selection each month if I haven’t already read it. My son and I have several of the books, and I’ve got several inter library loan requests in now at my local library. I belong to a local book club and we meet again early August. My librarian told me that she can get kits and up to 10 books of some of the books for book clubs to use. I’m going to bring it up to my club.

message 8: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 15, 2018 04:32PM) (new)

Toni wrote: "I read more than one book at a time. I plan to read the group selection each month if I haven’t already read it. My son and I have several of the books, and I’ve got several inter library loan requ..."

I'm pleased to hear that you'll be participating in our monthly book club for first-time reads, Toni!
I was surprised when I did a count and discovered how many of The Great American Read novels I own, but haven't read yet (I mentioned that in message 5). That does help.
Several members are having a difficult time borrowing list books from their libraries, which saddens me. I wish everyone had easier access, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I hope the demand eases up, soon.
I think it's great that you belong to a local book club and that it may help you acquire them. Another opportunity can't hurt!