Play Book Tag discussion

The Sense of an Ending
This topic is about The Sense of an Ending
May 2018: Family Drama > The Sense of an Ending, 4 stars, by Julian Barnes

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9352 comments Wow! That was interesting. A really unusual reading experience. This one stays with you. I read the entire thing between late last night and this morning and in pretty much one shot. And I think that's the way this book should be read, processed, and digested. Winner of the Man Booker Prize, and I can see why.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I love Barnes’ writing. Subtle but beautiful.

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments Love this book!

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I loved this one too. There's a movie.

message 5: by Karin (last edited May 29, 2018 05:48PM) (new)

Karin | 7468 comments You liked this? I have only ever read one book by him and I loathed it. England, England How did I hate it? Let me count the ways...

How much did I hate it? I can't even begin to describe it--I hate it more in memory than when I was reading it since some parts near the beginning were okay, but the negative things about it for me where huge and wiped out anything I liked about it in my memory.

It is satire, but that's only one of the things I intensely disliked about it. If I were to write a review now, it would be much more scathing than the one I wrote, which I just checked, and when I still remembered that the man has a lot of writing talent. That's all forgotten now, though.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I really liked this book. 4⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ from me.

annapi | 5159 comments I gave this one 3 stars. I thought it started out well enough, but fell flat in the end.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I know that I'm in the minority but I really didn't care for this book much at all. I have read other things by Barnes (pre GR), and think that he's a good writer but I think that I prefer to have at least one likable character or someone so bad, that you really hate them.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I still need to get to Barnes. I will one day.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments I also gave it 4****

I think it's one of those books that I appreciate more than I "like" it.