Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > Buddy Reader wanted for the month of June

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited May 29, 2018 02:04PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Hello,

I am doing a challenge where for June I need to read an HR that takes place outside of UK.
The book I have in mind are:

1) Either The Flesh and the Devil by Teresa Denys

Or

2) The Frost and the Flame by Drusilla Campbell

Please note, it’s going to take some time for me to read these books bec 1) I usually am reading several books at once due to my serious addiction to buddy reads and challenges.

If you “juggle books” or can keep busy for a slow read of one of these books and are a buddy reader, send me a pm.

If I have any takers, the buddy read will most likely take place on my page for the book.

Edit

It’s looking as if the book for the June buddy read will be the The Frost and the Flame.

I’m proposing for July, a buddy read of The Flesh and the Devil

I’m really excited about The Frost and the Flame because Karla gave it 5-Stars and one of her good reviews. When she give a bodice ripper 5-stars, I take notice!

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments What does buddy read involve?

message 3: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited May 27, 2018 10:15PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "What does buddy read involve?"

Hi Melita!

Buddy reading is “communal” reading of a book with discussion, posting thoughts, impressions, comments, and then responding to comments, thoughts impressions of fellow buddy readers as you go or in real time as you read.

Here is a link to a recent buddy read between me and one other person. This is a two-person buddy read, but a buddy read can be with more than two people.

Please see this link: oops! I put in the wrong link!

Here is the link! Ignore the comments people made about when they will begin reading the book! Those are not the discussion about the book itself. Skip to see comments about the book to see what a buddy read is like.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Had a look at above. Ok but I already read the book, but don't mind reading your views and giving an opinion.

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I already read The Flesh and the Devil.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "Had a look at above. Ok but I already read the book, but don't mind reading your views and giving an opinion."

Thanks Melita,

I’m really looking for someone who has not read the books.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "I already read The Flesh and the Devil."

Have you read the other book too?

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments No, actually just got it a couple weeks ago. Trouble is at my age (59) it is much easier to use your ereader or ipad as you can see better at night (when I usually read).

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I have been lazy, will start reading it. Do not mind re-reading the other book either have it as a pdf.

message 10: by Blondie (new)

Blondie (blonde76) | 86 comments I have been wanting to read the flesh and the Devil

message 11: by Doris (new)

Doris Hi Andrea, Melita and Blondie,

I have both titles (in print) and am happy to read either again and be part of a discussion. My only book group experience is face-to-face but I'm game for the online one.

Doris

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Doris wrote: "Hi Andrea, Melita and Blondie,

I have both titles (in print) and am happy to read either again and be part of a discussion. My only book group experience is face-to-face but I'm game for the onlin..."

Hi Doris!

Melita and I will be reading The Frost and the Flame. I sent Blondie a PM a little while ago, so I haven't heard from her yet.

It would be great if you joined us!

message 13: by Doris (new)

Doris Thanks for the invite, I will join you; this should be fun. My FTF book group does "literary fiction" so this will be a nice change.

please bear with me as I get used to doing this online. I'm sure I'll ask really basic questions about how this happens.

I like to read print versions when possible so I'll order a copy of this today (it is available).

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Doris wrote: "Thanks for the invite, I will join you; this should be fun. My FTF book group does "literary fiction" so this will be a nice change.

please bear with me as I get used to doing this online. I'm sur..."

Doris,

I've never done a F2F book club or book discussion. But I am seriously addicted to online "communal" reading. I love to buddy read.

I will post directions on how to go on for this buddy read.

I'm looking forward to reading with you!

message 15: by Doris (new)

Doris Also, I'm curious - what made you and Melita chose this rather than one of the Teresa Denys titles?

message 16: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments Hi Ladies, I would be interested in the buddy reading! I have not read any of the books listed and am open to selection

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Doris wrote: "Also, I'm curious - what made you and Melita chose this rather than one of the Teresa Denys titles?"

Melita had already read Teresa Denys.

I can read The Flesh and the Devil for July, if your still interested. It works with my July challenge requirements for that month.

Would you be interested in a July buddy read of The Flesh and the Devil? I sent a pm to Blondie asking if she could do a buddy read of that book in July.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Gurl wrote: "Hi Ladies, I would be interested in the buddy reading! I have not read any of the books listed and am open to selection"

Hi Gurl!

Thanks for responding!

It looks as if the book will be The Frost and the Flame for this month, but I’m proposing a read of The Flesh and the Devil for a July buddy read. Would you be interested?

message 19: by Doris (new)

Doris I’m up for June - “The Frost and The Flame” by Drusilla Campbell
And July - “The Flesh and The Devil” by Teresa Denys.

Did you know that Teresa Denys wrote only one other book, “The Silver Devil”? It and the Flesh and the Devil have a special place on my shelves. (I’m a print or audio girl. )

message 20: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I don't mind either one as I read it a long time ago. One of my favourites too from memory. I wish she had written more books. I wonder if she has a few manuscripts unpublished somewhere? Should ask her family if anyone knows them.

message 21: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited May 31, 2018 11:36AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Ladies,

I have posted a thread for our book discussion in the "Buddy Reads" folder for The Frost and the Flame.

I think neither of you have done a buddy read before, so I will be posting information about what is and how to go about doing it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Doris wrote: "Did you know that Teresa Denys wrote only one other book, “The Silver Devil”? It and the Flesh and the Devil have a special place on my shelves. (I’m a print or audio girl. )"...

Doris,

I think that I saw on GR, perhaps in this group somewheres that TD died in a car accident, and that why there are only 2 books.

message 23: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments The Frost and the Flame : OMG --object of his insatiable lust!! I just ordered from Amazon so hopefully will have next week and can read all about his insatiable lust ; )

I may have Silver Devil in a box somewhere, but holy mother of god it is expensive to buy a copy : {

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Gurl wrote: "The Frost and the Flame : OMG --object of his insatiable lust!! I just ordered from Amazon so hopefully will have next week and can read all about his insatiable lust ; )

I may have Silver Devil i..."

Ha!

I’m looking forward to it as well!

I posted a thread for us to do the buddy read.

I’m going to post some info that explains how to read in a real-time communal reading situation.