What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > Need help finding this book

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew The book is about a normal teenager who is one day invited to some after school magic society type thing. When he goes there some teacher lady at the magic thing asks the kid to envision a ball of fire and to really bring it to life and tap into his power. The kid then creates a huge ball of fire while still imagining it and he says in his thoughts of how he could feel the heat and light then when he opened his eyes there was a ball of fire. The teacher praises him and tells him how that ball of fire was the largest she’s ever had a student create and so the kid joins the club. After going there for a while eventually it gets attacked by some people and the kids get taken and all of this stuff but eventually the main character kid joins some task force dedicated to bringing down those guys. At the end the kid releases some huge magic without a controller which was like an object that helped amplify their powers better.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Please always include genre and plot details in your header, and say when you read the book, as per the Group Rules.

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Damn alright fuck this if you can’t read the description and easily see that it’s fiction and can’t figure out the plot then you might be retarded deadass pointless group

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (last edited May 27, 2018 06:13PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Matthew:

The Moderators are only trying to help you find your book more easily.

This discussion frequently contains three or more pages of unread posts, if you look at it once a day. Many people just skim the headers, and click on the ones they think they can help out with. Headers like "I'm looking for this book" and "Help! I can't remember the name of this book" are not useful to people who may have the answer to your query. (I mean, duh! why else would you be posting?)

If you're working from your phone and are having trouble editing your header, it might be nice to politely request the Moderators to assist you.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Matthew left the group after posting that, but just for everyone's benefit who isn't familiar with the group, the reason we require genre and plot details in the header is because many times and in many situations we are just looking at a long list of headers. Obviously we can all click past the header and read what plot details have been posted inside the thread, but this is very time consuming if, like mods, and like many group members, you read through every single thread. We need to know a lot of information before we open the thread.

If every thread were titled "Need help finding this book" it would take us twice as long to do everything we need to do in the group.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

I'll just add that in the official GR groups, those moderators are getting paid to do what they do. In this group and all other nonofficial groups, moderators are volunteers. So give that a thought when you're verbally abusing a mod. This is a very large and constantly growing group with many new threads every day and the mods don't have time to comfort you and dry your tears when you have a tantrum.

message 7: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments I thought Lobstergirl’s response was brilliant. :)

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Pluym | 102 comments Was the book YA? Did the story take place in the US or another country?

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amanda_redpeach) | 253 comments Kym wrote: "I thought Lobstergirl’s response was brilliant. :)"

I agree. Why should the mods have to hold people's hands just so they can find their book. Just because they couldn't/wouldn't read instructions that are posted on everyone's screen when they begin to post.... I'm sure even the paid mods wouldn't like how rude he was either!!
Besides if ALL the topics were "help me find this book" how would you ever figure out which one you were looking for if you stumble across an answer for someone?

message 10: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1247 comments Kym wrote: "I thought Lobstergirl’s response was brilliant. :)"

Agreed.

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Matthew wrote: "Damn alright fuck this if you can’t read the description and easily see that it’s fiction and can’t figure out the plot then you might be retarded deadass pointless group"

Matthew, if you're looking for help, you're much more likely to get it if you observe common courtesy and don't start tossing insults.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Bailey | 102 comments I love coming to this forum to see if I can guess books. It's a great site.

However, I often find the mods rude and condescending. There is no need for the tone some of you use. I appreciate the help you provide on the place, but I have thought of leaving many times for this very reason. It is also completely unnecessary. People do click through on the links with little information. We all do. That's why we are commenting on this thread right now. If people choose not to read the instructions, then so be it. There is no need for anyone to scold them.

Even the tone of the pop up box is patronising.

This guy is extremely rude and his reaction is unacceptable. I am not excusing him, but you might use this experience to reconsider how you respond to people.

message 13: by Nela (new)

Nela (nelikne) | 475 comments Emma wrote: "I love coming to this forum to see if I can guess books. It's a great site.

However, I often find the mods rude and condescending. There is no need for the tone some of you use. I appreciate the ..."

The pop up box might seem patronizing for those who aren't capable to at least read the rules to post and if you look through the titles of the threads, there are a lot of those.

If you often find mods rude and condescending, than you must be very sensitive for the internet. Lobstergirl's initial reaction to that dumbass was normal, just a simple request, nothing to throw fucks around. No scolding, just a request to make it easier for everyone.

If you need help finding a book in this group, read the damned rules! - Now, that was rude and condescending, but I am not a mod and I don't give bleep :)

message 14: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Emma wrote: "I love coming to this forum to see if I can guess books. It's a great site.

However, I often find the mods rude and condescending. There is no need for the tone some of you use. I appreciate the ..."

Agreed, Emma.

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Emma wrote: "However, I often find the mods rude and condescending. ..."

I think they're just trying to be clear, concise, and consistent. Assume good faith :)