Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Opportunities! > New opportunities in the Navigating Indieworld Facebook group

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay (new)

Kay | 158 comments Hi guys, Starting from next week we're going to be adding some great new content every day in the Navigating Indieworld Facebook group. We're looking to grow our membership and provide more ways of connecting readers and authors, which will make the takeovers even more successful too!

Each week we want to have a featured author, this will be like a mini takeover where we'll open the page to a single author on Thursdays, we have a template of posts you can follow if you aren't confident on planning a schedule yourself, and if you don't have a Facebook account or don't wish to post using your personal account you can send us your posts and Navigating Indieworld will post them for you.

On Tuesday we will feature a blogger/vlogger in the same way.

Wednesday will be giveaway day, we want something to give away every week as it will be a good incentive to keep readers coming back! This can be anything- ebooks, audiobooks, paperbacks, swag, we're opening this up to bloggers and businesses that want to give book/reading related merchandise away too.

If you want to be featured or do a giveaway you can say so here or get in touch with either me or Erica Graham and we'll schedule you in.

It would be awesome if you could spread the word too! Share the group with friends, get in touch with other authors and any bloggers you know to see if they want to take part. Anything that grows the group! And please get involved, we'll be having different theme days and are planning some events too, The more interaction we get the more likely it will be that new members join and feel comfortable!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1760303...

Thanks!

message 2: by Prakash (new)

Prakash Sharma (pvsharma) | 18 comments Request sent.

message 3: by Tree (new)

Tree District (treedistbooks) | 1 comments Kay wrote: "Hi guys, Starting from next week we're going to be adding some great new content every day in the Navigating Indieworld Facebook group. We're looking to grow our membership and provide more ways of..."

How come the group is private?

Also, sounds like you have a lot going on; I know I'm interested! Do you all have other social media presences, like Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.?

message 4: by Carole (last edited May 27, 2018 09:36PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1245 comments Mod
I don't think our Facebook group is set to private- Kay and Erica run the Facebook events. There's a number of us working the magazine- what are you talking about being private?
We have three blog talk radio shows, we do monthly events on Facebook. Yes to Twitter. No to Instagram and Pinterest. Lastly, we have a monthly magazine. We operate off of two threads here. Navigating Indieworld and Indie Author's Monthly Magazine.

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 268 comments In answer to your privacy question, it helps prevent spammers. In addition, people who take the steps to join are more likely to be there for the right reasons. We want to do everything we can to provide a healthy group environment for authors and readers.

Thank you for your interest! Please contact me or Kay if you are interested in any of the Navigating Indieworld opportunities that Kay mentioned in her post above. We will also be doing special events throughout the year on both the Navigating Indieworld group page and the Indie Authors Monthly group page which we will announce on the Facebook pages and here. Most our events will take place on the Facebook pages. Occasionally, they may be hosted on a blog site. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 246 comments I would like to take part in the giveaways. My problems are:

Ebooks: You can't gift ebooks from one side of the Atlantic to the other. (We tried. Amazon doesn't allow it.) If you email a mobi to a kindle address the recipient needs to set up the sender's email on the Amazon system to be approved. I'm not overly keen on emailing mobi files to personal addresses. I'm not saying anyone would forward them on from their personal email, I have trust issues.

Paperbacks: I could do this, but say I managed to buy a copy of my paperback on the .com site-I'd need a US delivery address for it to be sent to. It would be cheaper than trying to send anything from the UK to the US. (That said I'm not even sure it's possible to buy something from the UK on the US site and send it to a US address.)

Any ideas?

message 7: by Angel (last edited May 29, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

Angel | 103 comments Hi, Erica and Kay! I sent a request to join the Navigating Indieworld Facebook Group. I would like to be featured as a blogger since I do actively blog on a weekly basis and have been for the last three years. And I've done at least a couple of blog tours involving my blog. And I do consider myself a blogger not just an author. So I'd rather promote the blogger side of me for a change. So if you have a slot for me on one of those Tuesdays you mentioned in the earlier post, let me know. Thanks!

message 8: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 246 comments Alex wrote: "You can go to the US site from the UK and buy a copy of your book to ship to a US address, I've done this a few times for various things.
If someone is entering a competition to win a paperback copy of your book they should provide their address in a private message if they win, then you ship direct from .com. Works fine.

The only irritation for me is that I can't use my Prime shipping because my Prime account is only in the UK :(

Hope that helps, a little."

Thanks Alex, yes that's what I was hoping could happen.

message 9: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Hanes Should I assume, then, that I also couldn't send an ebook to the UK, or other counties without it in mobi? This has been my stumbling block as well. I just learned how to gift an ebook here in the states, but there is much I don't yet feel I know about how the rest of this works....it makes me hesitant, along with the privacy issues, I'll continue to watch and learn, and perhaps that will help with comfort of being involved. I'm a bit cautious about social media in general. Call me paranoid....it fits a bit :)

message 10: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 246 comments You can't gift an ebook from Amazon US and send it to someone in the UK. You can only gift an ebook to someone in the same territory as you via Amazon.

You can however send a mobi file to someone's email address and they can then send it to their kindle. (I don't want to do that to often. I'm too paranoid I'll find the one unscrupulous person who will send the book to a mailing list or something.)

message 11: by Angel (last edited May 29, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Angel | 103 comments Not sure how the e-book giveaway thing goes myself, Carmel. I once tried to gift an e-book to someone in another country through Amazon since I have an Amazon account and I accidentally sent the thing to myself to my own kindle app. Needlessly to say, I had to refund my own book and I received part of my money back from Amazon. Humiliating and embarrassing turn of events. So I guess I'll just have to watch and learn like you.

message 12: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 173 comments D.J. wrote: "You can't gift an ebook from Amazon US and send it to someone in the UK. You can only gift an ebook to someone in the same territory as you via Amazon.

You can however send a mobi file to someone'..."

I feel the same way, too. Someone said he would review my book, if I send a copy to him through email. And, when I did, he didn't respond, and I got really paranoid for what I just done.

message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 268 comments There are a few ways you can gift ebooks and print:

1. Send a .mobi or epub file directly to someone's device. You need their device's email address and you send it as an email attachment to that address. They will need the email address it is coming from so they can change their settings to accept attachments from you.

2. Purchase the ebook on Amazon from the country that the winner resides in (like Alex mentioned) and give it as a "gift". For example, I live in the US. If I want to send a gift card or an ebook to someone in the UK, I have to go to their Amazon site and purchase it as a gift there. My foreign credit card is accepted and the money is converted to their currency at check-out. Just make sure that a gift card/your ebook is an available option to purchase from that site before opening a giveaway to that country.

3. Some printing companies will allow you to ship a book to a different address. I have never personally done this, but I know some authors that will purchase a copy of their book on Createspace and have it shipped to the winner's address. They claim that you can ship cheaper internationally, but I have not looked into it.

Though they help with interaction, you do not have to do a giveaway if you choose to do an author or blogger feature. If you do decide to do a giveaway with your feature, you are welcome to limit the giveaway to specific territories. So you can do a US only, Canada only, etc. giveaway. Hope this helps! And thanks to everyone who is sharing their experiences too!!

message 14: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 268 comments Angel, Kay or I will be in touch with you shortly. ;)

message 15: by Kay (new)

Kay | 158 comments I've sent you a message, Angel. Looking forward to your feature day soon :)

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 268 comments Our first weekly giveaway went up on the group page today if anyone is interested in seeing an example. We should have our first blogger feature next week and are looking for authors who would like to be featured on Thursdays. :) We could also use some help boosting these posts. If you like and comment on the blogger/author features and giveaway posts, the posts will be boosted in visibility. Thanks!

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 268 comments We have our first blogger takeover today! She will be posting all day. Stop by the page if you are interested in seeing how this works. The author feature days work the same way. Here is the link if you need it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/17603...

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Baethge (22niel) | 5 comments I'm having a giveaway of my 5 Kindle books on Rafflecopter from June 15-30. It would be awesome if you could feature it in your magazine when it's live.
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/44f6033e0/?

message 19: by Kay (new)

Kay | 158 comments Hi Sarah, this is for one of our Facebook groups, not the magazine, but you can come over and let people know about it, or do a giveaway in there sometime :)

We have an amazing author feature day with Tracy Bryan happening right now! She’s doing a fantastic job, so come and join in here - https://m.facebook.com/groups/1760303...

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread