Play Book Tag discussion

In the Time of the Butterflies
This topic is about In the Time of the Butterflies
May 2018: Family Drama > In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments This is the fictionalized story of the Mirabal sisters, who became symbols of the resistance to Trujillo in the Dominican Republic.
Told by all four sisters, this tells of their love for each other and their family, and their need to see their country, their 'brothers and sisters' be free. It's a story of a family caught up in the resistance of a dictator.
The writing is lyrical- it flows so beautifully. I listened to the audio of this.
It is narrated by four different women, each acting as one of the sisters. Two of them made way too many mouth noises. I could hear pages turning, and one mispronounced Trujillo. I ended up reading the last two chapters, instead of suffering through one woman's tongue rubbing up against her inner cheeks anymore. Ick.
Other than that, it was a great book. I just recommend reading it, not listening to it.

Booknblues | 6857 comments I loved this when I read it way back in 1999. It has stayed with me and books that do are so important in our lives.