Play Book Tag discussion

Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
This topic is about Carve the Mark
May 2018: Family Drama > Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments Carve the Mark takes place in space with many different planets all involved in the story. In the story there is a mystical thing called the current which unites all the planets and gives each person a gift. There are some people who are fates which means that no matter how the future pans out, something specific will take place through them. Akos is a boy who has a fate but he does not know what his fate is even though his mother is an oracle. One day, the fates are announced publicly much to everyone's shock and so the people who have fates are in danger. He is captured on his planet by the family who rules over all the planets. Part of that family is Cyra who is known to be a harsh woman who likes to inflict pain. Akos is required to be Cyra's servant.

I loved the Divergent series and so I was really excited when I found out that Roth had published another book. I subsequently found out that many people did not enjoy this book and that they found it to be disappointing but I remained hopeful and got it with an Audible credit and I'm so glad that I did. I think the story was well paced and I liked the characters. I only took away a star because at times the names were a bit confusing to follow.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6756 comments So glad you loved it even though other reviewers didn't! And that you didn't waste your Audible credit. Your summary makes it sound pretty good. Did others share their reasons for not liking it as much? Was it super different from the Divergent series so their expectations were unmet?

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments Some people found it uncreative, others complained that they felt it was racist and some didn’t like the world building. It was fairly different but I found that to be a good thing.