2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Throne of Glass > Question L

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Chaol is forced to kill Cain to save Celaena's life. What do you think of his reaction to this?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments I was really surprised by his reaction. He's Captain of the Guard! It didn't look good to the other soldiers. If killing someone to save anothers life affected him that much, then he shouldn't be in the position.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
I think he was surprised at the ease in which he took a man’s life. Chaol seems to have a code of honor that he felt he crossed. He doesn’t regret Cain is dead, just how he killed him.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I was very surprised as well. It is presented as if he had never killed anyone before, which doesn't make sense given his role as the Captain of the Guard in the vicious king's empire.

I agree that Chaol has a code of honor, but surely that code includes killing to save a life - there is an incongruity here.

message 5: by Jonetta (last edited May 27, 2018 04:41AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
At least this shouldn’t have been the first time he’s faced this conflict.

But, there’s a difference between killing in war and in a controlled environment in front of so many people.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments Good point, Jonetta.

message 7: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 83 comments I think it is also partially because of his conflicting emotions about Celaena, she is an assassin but he has feelings for her. And I agree on the controlled environment, that is very different from killing in a war.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Lieke, that's a very good point about Chaol's conflicting feelings for Celaena.