2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Throne of Glass > Question D

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments What did you think of Celaena's character in this book? Is she learning, growing or changing in any way?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments Celaena is growing up a bit, but she's still self-centered and a bit spoiled, which is surprising after being in Endovier. Her imprisonment did make her feel more for the slaves and hate the king more though. I like her sense of humor.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Maybe it’s because of the audio version but I found her extremely immature. For someone who’s just emerged from a year of hard labor, Celaena didn’t seem to have learned anything. I would have expected her to be more introspective. The author missed an opportunity here. She should have aged more than her 18 years.

I really didn’t notice a change.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I'm disappointed in this aspect of the book. Celaena is still a self-centered, egotistical brat and her arrogance shows that she has not learned from her experiences.

Her preoccupation with external appearances and desire for people to know she is a powerful assassin seems very silly and immature. Chaol should not have had to point out that she should keep her abilities secret as a strategy. She should have know this.

That said, similar to the anthology, Celaene has moments in which she shines like when she saves Nox (although she immediately regrets it, which undermines the effect).

I'm hoping that these moments will increase and her arrogance will subside.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Her preoccupation with external appearances and desire for people to know she is a powerful assassin seems very silly and immature. Chaol should not have had to point out that she should keep her abilities secret as a strategy. She should have know this...."

Celaena has never seemed to respect the importance of strategy, even when it’s spelled out to her. It’s one of the reasons she was captured and sent to the salt mines.

I know she was influenced by Arobynn but she was raised differently before he took her in. None of those early influences seem to be part of her make up, which I find puzzling.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "None of those early influences seem to be part of her make up, which I find puzzling."

It could be that she has blocked them out - post trauma.

message 7: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 83 comments Endovier didn't change her as much as I would have expected, but I think she is learning.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Lieke wrote: "Endovier didn't change her as much as I would have expected, but I think she is learning."

Yes. I thought being a prisoner would tone down her arrogance.