What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Prayer Machine
This topic is about The Prayer Machine
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Science fiction, 1970's or maybe early 80's. Man's consciousness goes through a Moebius twist, meets woman named Celandine. Minor Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Avatar (last edited May 26, 2018 05:40AM) (new)

Avatar | 6 comments That's about all I remember about the plot. He went into a kind of coma in our world and felt awake in the world on the other side of the twist. When he mumbled in his coma in our world while on the other side, his speech was backwards here and forwards there. At one point he started to slip back through the twist and said, "The whole universe is inside me!", and it was forwards in our world and backwards on the other side of the twist.

The cover (hardcover book) illustration was a drawing of the faces of a man and woman who were facing each other, and their faces were cut into strips, where the faces' strips were joined to each other at the top and bottom.

MINOR SPOILER...
The man and the woman Celandine whom he meets on the other side of twist become lovers.

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David (davidofterra) | 59 comments bump

message 3: by Avatar (new)

Avatar | 6 comments Bump. Thanks for looking!

message 4: by Avatar (new)

message 5: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments the origin of that piece of artwork is MC Escher, but I don't know the story.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments Bond of Union is the name of the artwork. was it this image or just similar?

https://goo.gl/images/b96GMw

message 7: by Avatar (new)

Avatar | 6 comments Yes, that is the image that was on the cover! Another piece of the puzzle. Thank you, both!

message 8: by Avatar (new)

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40558 comments Mod
La Hierba Roja by Boris Vian

The Wisdom of Science Its Relevance to Culture and Religion by Robert Hanbury Brown

Paradigms Lost Tackling the Unanswered Mysteries of Modern Science by John L. Casti

The Philosophy of Language by A.P. Martinich

Il mondo nuovo - Ritorno al mondo nuovo by Aldous Huxley

A Memory of Demons by David Ambrose

Brodie's Report by Jorge Luis Borges

None of these seem like a match though.

message 10: by Nóinín (last edited Jan 26, 2019 05:33AM) (new)

message 11: by Avatar (new)

Nóinín, that's it! Thank you! I must have missed the e-mails notifying me about your post, and Lobstergirl's, or I would have responded sooner. Thank you both, but it is definitely the "The Prayer Machine" by Christopher Hodder-Williams, whose name sounds familiar to me now that I've heard it.

Thanks again!