A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > Buddy Read - Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben -May 29

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Don't Let Go
Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben

With unmatched suspense and emotional insight, Harlan Coben explores the big secrets and little lies that can destroy a relationship, a family, and even a town in this powerful new thriller.

Suburban New Jersey Detective Napoleon “Nap” Dumas hasn't been the same since senior year of high school, when his twin brother Leo and Leo’s girlfriend Diana were found dead on the railroad tracks—and Maura, the girl Nap considered the love of his life, broke up with him and disappeared without explanation. For fifteen years, Nap has been searching, both for Maura and for the real reason behind his brother's death. And now, it looks as though he may finally find what he's been looking for.

When Maura's fingerprints turn up in the rental car of a suspected murderer, Nap embarks on a quest for answers that only leads to more questions—about the woman he loved, about the childhood friends he thought he knew, about the abandoned military base near where he grew up, and mostly about Leo and Diana—whose deaths are darker and far more sinister than Nap ever dared imagine.

Anyone is welcome to join!
We will read at our own pace and comment using spoiler tags.

message 2: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis So far we have Christine, Perri, Melanie and me (Vicki) who want to read.

Have any of you read Harlan Coben before?

I have read all of his. His Myron Bolitar series is very good, but his stand alones are my favorite. He is a go-to author for me. I have been wanting to get to this one for a while now.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments I’ve read all of his books and he’s my favorite author

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments I was introduced to this author via Netflix. They have a British series called “The Five”. I liked it so much I wanted to read the book but as I researched for it I discovered that this was his first (and at that time only...tv screen play). I read an interview in which he talked about enjoying the ability on screen to have a much larger number of main characters and wanting to explore this writing style further.
Last week Netflix released his second TV show entitled “Safe”. I liked “The Five” more and having only read one other book by him and part of “Don’t Let Go” I think “Safe” May have had more writers involved , it seems to deviate from his style a bit.
I’m enjoying finding a “new to me” author.

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Was the British series based on his actual books?
That sounds interesting.

message 6: by Perri (new)

Perri Coban is a fairly new to me author. This will be my fourth, I liked The Woods, Tell No One and Just One Look a little less. His books would be the ones I'd go to in a reading slump, just for fast, easy reading.

Oh, thanks for the Netflix rec, Melanie, I'll add it to my list.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments The British Series “The Five” was written by him specifically for TV according to the article I read. It’s a mystery that triggers investigation into another cold case mystery that brings to light secrets held by 5 friends whose past is intertwined and complicated.
I can’t say much more without giving it away.

Emily Just Emily*~* | 221 comments hi everyone, Harlen Coben is one of my favs, I hope to read this one day. enjoy!

message 9: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Is everyone ready to start? How about Monday?

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments I have to see that Netflix tv show called The Five and I have to start that other Netflix tv show called Safe and Monday sounds perfect

message 11: by Perri (new)

Perri Works for me Vicki, thanks

message 12: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9791 comments Mod
A great author,he was at Roland Garros yesterday for the French Open.

message 13: by Sally (new)

Sally | 6 comments Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors. I've read all his books but prefer the stand alone ones. I also watched The Five and Safe on Netflix-very entertaining.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments That’s very cool Sean and I agree with you Sally

message 15: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis End of chapter 1

I just read the prologue and first chapter to get a feel for the book and
Man!(view spoiler)

message 16: by Vicki Willis (last edited May 28, 2018 08:09PM) (new)

Vicki Willis End of Chapter 10

This one is hard to put down.

Nap (view spoiler)

What do you think about the (view spoiler)

And finally... (view spoiler)

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Hi everyone, yes I’m quite a little ways into the book but was waiting to see how buddy reads work..it’s late here now Vicki but I will take a look at your comments tomorrow..excited to jump in...and yes it’s one that you want to keep reading, it’s been a challenge to wait...

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments I finished that book and it was very good

message 19: by Perri (new)

Perri Vicki and Christine! Man I just finished the prologue! Who the heck is Dale Miller?

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "End of Chapter 10

This one is hard to put down.

Nap [spoilers removed]

What do you think about the [spoilers removed]

And finally... [spoilers removed]"

I wonder how you will feel about Nap as you continue to read. I like him but agree some questionable choices. It will be interesting to see why he is who he is. I’m thinking his back story will explain him more.

I like the narrative use the author is using that you spoke of. It’s interesting.

And finally...I agree no theories yet

I’m being cryptic because I don’t know how to hide spoilers. Could someone kindly explain that to me. Thank you

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Perri wrote: "Vicki and Christine! Man I just finished the prologue! Who the heck is Dale Miller?"

This one is twisty turny. Great summertime read.

message 22: by Perri (last edited May 29, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

Perri Melanie : click the some html is ok hyperlink above the box and it will show you. Let me know if you still need help

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Thanks Perri, I’ll give it a try when my laptop comes home. My daughter is currently making a thriller movie for dramatic arts class...hmm, I wonder where she gets her interest in crime, suspense and thrillers. She and 5 of her friends are at a family farm with an abandoned house, barns and a ton of fake blood. It will be interesting to see what visual mystery they produce with iPhones and a laptop.

message 24: by Perri (last edited May 30, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Perri Finished Ch 11 (view spoiler)

POV (view spoiler)

Maura (view spoiler)

message 25: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 28 comments Harlan Coben is one of my very favorite authors. This will make my 24th book by him. I've requested this book in CD and in book form. Very popular with most checked out.

message 26: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 28 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "So far we have Christine, Perri, Melanie and me (Vicki) who want to read.

Have any of you read Harlan Coben before?

I have read all of his. His Myron Bolitar series is very good, but his stand al..."

This will be my 25th Coben book. I've requested it in CD and book from my library. Most are checked out. seems to be a very popular book. Can't wait to start.

message 27: by Perri (new)

Perri Finished Ch. 22 (view spoiler)

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Hi again everyone.

Maura and Rex: is anyone else questioning their connection with each other (view spoiler)

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Also any ideas on what is happening with Maura? I’m wondering if she is being held against her will to be controlled as opposed to being harmed. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Perri wrote: "Finished Ch. 22 [spoilers removed]"

I agree with you Perri. This decision on Elle’s part did not really make sense to me. Especially over such a long period of time and considering the age at which the promise was made.

message 31: by Perri (new)

Perri Melanie wrote: "Also any ideas on what is happening with Maura? I’m wondering if she is being held against her will to be controlled as opposed to being harmed. [spoilers removed]"

Good job on the spoilers! :)

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Perri wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Also any ideas on what is happening with Maura? I’m wondering if she is being held against her will to be controlled as opposed to being harmed. [spoilers removed]"

Good job on the..."

Thank you...have you gotten to end of Chapter 26?
What I expected from One character but not with whom I had expected...

message 33: by Perri (new)

Perri Finished! Melanie there are several characters who behave in ways I wouldn't expect. I think that interfered with my enjoyment of the book. Character development was sacrificed for the sake of twists in the story. Ooh, gonna put that in my review :)

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Yes Perri I am in total agreement with you. I have been holding back finishing this as I have never done a buddy read before so I was trying to stay in pace with you all. This one hasn’t been my favourite book as I’m having some issues with “suspension of disbelief”...it feels like there are some holes in the development of the characters/plot etc...I think you are right perhaps..the characters.
It is however a very quick and easy read. Entertaining.

Is anyone else feeling this way too?

message 35: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments It’s 3AM and I should NOT have powered through to the end .. but I did...FINISHED!

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments I finished that book before anyone else did lol

message 37: by Perri (new)

Perri Quick, easy, entertaining read is exactly how I would describe Coben books, Melanie. I've liked others of his more, but I know exactly what I'm getting with a Coben book so far.

Christine, you must be a fast reader!

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments I’m a very fast reader lol

message 39: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis End of Chap 19
Lots of things going on here.
I agree with you all about it being exactly what to expect from Coben.

I found it so true in Chap 17 when (view spoiler)

I am conflicted about Nap still because (view spoiler)

Auggie (view spoiler)

I have not spent as much time reading as usual this week. We are planning a motorhome trip through AZ and NM (I am in San Diego) and it is exciting, but then I am not reading! :)
I should be finishing the book this weekend though.

message 40: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Ok, I finished also...

I feel pretty much the same. Not my favorite, but great none the less.

Overall I thought (view spoiler)

message 41: by Perri (last edited Jun 03, 2018 08:51AM) (new)

Perri Vicki, regarding your first spoiler (view spoiler)

Second Spoiler (view spoiler)

message 42: by Perri (new)

Perri About the ending (view spoiler)

message 43: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis @Perri's spoiler
That is what I like about Coben (view spoiler)

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments I agree with you Vicki

message 45: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Hello everyone...I will respond tomorrow to everyone’s ideas and questions. Ironically it is Prom Season here and so for the past 48 hours I have been consumed with teen dramas, loves and losses. Not until I read all your posts did I realize the connection to our Buddy Reads. My daughter and her friends had a blast but I’m just too tired to think right now. Wishing I could share a pic with you all. They lucked out with fantastic weather as the rain held off until today. I can say this about Nap, Maura, Leo et. al. , teens do have INTENSE emotion and are VERY interconnected.

message 46: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments That’s ok Melanie and i’m glad that your daughter had a great time at her prom

message 47: by Perri (new)

Perri I've raised three so I know what you're talking about, Melanie. Kind of a rush being around all that young life and energy, but also exhausting.

message 48: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6223 comments I’m glad I don’t have kids lol