Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Question about image copyright attribution

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lrc123) | 9 comments I filled out the profile for this author and for the author’s photo, I got it from her Twitter account. I’m almost certain this is a selfie she took. For the copyright justification, I linked to her Twitter account. Will that suffice? She’s a really famous drag queen and though I can find thousands of pictures of her, I can’t find any other pictures of her where I’m certain on the copyright. And as far as I can tell, she doesn’t have a press kit on her website.

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Unless you personally have permission to upload the photo, then there isn't a copyright justification. This is common with contemporary authors. I would suggest that you need to remove it, and encourage the author to claim their own profile and add it to their account.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lrc123) | 9 comments Emy wrote: "Unless you personally have permission to upload the photo, then there isn't a copyright justification. This is common with contemporary authors. I would suggest that you need to remove it, and enco..."

Okay. I understand.
I do have two alternatives in mind. There is a picture on her author page on Amazon. Could that be uploaded on here? I know that Goodreads is wholly owned and operated by Amazon...

And if not that one, I did find a picture where I know exactly who took it and I can properly attribute it to the photographer. Would that work if the Amazon one won’t?

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14840 comments Lauren wrote: "I do have two alternatives in mind. There is a picture on her author page on Amazon. Could that be uploaded on here? I know that Goodreads is wholly owned and operated by Amazon...

And if not that one, I did find a picture where I know exactly who took it and I can properly attribute it to the photographer. Would that work if the Amazon one won’t? "

That the author picture is allowed for use on Amazon does not mean it is allowed on GR.

The other picture is allowed only when the photographer gives express permission to use it on a commercial site without visible credit (the credit on the edit page is not visible to the general public).

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments What lethe said. It's also worth noting here that we are also unable to use CC-BY as we can't do the attribution aspect appropriately. In most cases, if you are unsure, don't use it.