UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Non-Fiction Recommendations > The Man who broke Napoleon's codes

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22181 comments The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes: The Story of George Scovell

Written by Mark Urban who can write, this is a 'popular history'. I found it easy to read and as well as giving an insight into the use of ciphers at the time, gives an insight into the social life of the army in the Peninsular as well as being a nice guide to the Peninsular war

message 2: by Michael Cargill (last edited May 25, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Onto the Amazon whishlist it goes!

The Secret War: Spies, Codes and Guerrillas 1939-1945 was very interesting, it shatters a lot of the myths about just how useful cracking Enigma was.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22181 comments it's certainly worth a look, the one you mention looks interesting as well :-)

message 4: by David (new)

David Manuel | 1147 comments Michael Cargill wrote: "Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Onto the Amazon whishlist it goes!

The Secret War: Spies, Codes and Guerrillas 1939-1945 was very interesting, it shatters a lot of the myths abou..."

I'll have to add this one as well. Read Enigma: The Battle For The Code a few years back and enjoyed that thoroughly. Spies and intelligence officers always overrate their contributions to victory. Nobody can call you a liar until decades later when they declassify stuff.