Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > Submit your questions for Kate Moore and Angie Thomas!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Helen | 44 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

Our amazing authors this month, Angie Thomas and Kate Moore, have generously agreed to interviews and we'd love to hear from you.

Please submit your questions for them by June 10th.

Thank you!
Helen

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Gotta finish the books quickly then! Oh boy! Thanks for the motivation

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 13 comments Is there going to be a sequel to THUG?

I'd really love to know because it was one of the best books I've ever read! Thx

message 4: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments This one is for Kate Moore. I am really loving Radium Girls. It's really hard to put down. What made you pick want to write about the "radium girls?" Which one of the girls' story hit you the hardest and why?

message 5: by Katie ♡ (new)

Katie ♡ (itskatiekoalafiednerd) | 10 comments I would love to give Angie Thomas a question: What is your main inspiration for "The Hate U Give"?

message 6: by Blair (new)

Blair | 1 comments This is for Angie Thomas
How did you make the decision to have the officer who shot Khalil receive no consequences? Also, what did you draw upon while writing the novel? Was it a personal experience or learning from the stories of others?

message 7: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 31 comments Helen wrote: "Hi everyone,

Our amazing authors this month, Angie Thomas and Kate Moore, have generously agreed to interviews and we'd love to hear from you.

Please submit your questions for them by June 10th. ..."

For Angie Thomas: Firstly, thank you for writing this book. It is one of a handful of books that has changed my life. In the book, Chris learns about the "black experience" by experiencing the anger, the riot, and the danger with Starr and Seven. Without having to put ourselves in such experiences, do you have suggestions for how we can learn about the experience of others? I know that growing up in a racist family shaped my life, causing me to actively seek out the experiences and stories of other people to counteract that racism. But, even as a grown-up woman, I know I still have implicit biases and I know there are still ways I benefit from white privilege that I can't identify. How can I identify these instances so I can learn from them? And how can I use my white privilege to help those who don't have such a platform?

Thank you, again. This book should be required reading in American schools (at the least).

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracy112) I loved The Hate U Give. I recently recommended it to my in-person book club, and we had a wonderful discussion. I have two questions, please:

Starr has a habit of “code-switching”--talking and acting one way with her predominantly white school friends and being more herself with her Black friends and her community. What do you hope the reader takes away from witnessing that tension?

Even after going through a horrific event, Starr still opens up to Chris, who is white, which seems to give this tragic story a bit of optimism (as did the wonderful humor throughout). What gives you the hope to write a relationship like theirs, even as white supremacists have gotten bolder about speaking out in the past year or so, and victims of police shootings still don't get justice?

message 9: by Bubbles (new)

Bubbles | 1 comments For Angie the book was incredible and you talked about an important issue that the American policies and society still suffer from in a simple and relatable way what is the best way to motivate teenagers that still suffer from prejudice and how could they explain their suffering to others?

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Griffiths (katemarie7griffithsgmailcom) | 73 comments I want to let both authors know that they’re books have become some of my favourites, 💕but also do you have any advice for future writers or for those who seek to pursue a career in writing? Any styles that helped you? Any books that inspired you?

message 11: by Lauren Calista (new)

Lauren Calista (xlovelylaurenx) | 2 comments TO ANGIE,

Have you ever known or met someone who has been a victim of police brutality or prejudice? Have you ever been a victim yourself of racial bias? I’m sure you have but is there an instance that really stuck with you?

What do you wish people really knew about Tupac Shakur? Or any famous black rapper or man with as music influence on you?

message 12: by Meritxell (new)

Meritxell Lancis (meri_lancis) | 1 comments First of all, your book was amazing, the story was very powerful and I will never forget it. Thank you!

Are you planning on writing more books like THUG?

I really liked it and I think the world needs more books like it.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsashleychristine) To Angie,
How do you think white Americans can support American PoCs in the troubles they face, particularly the ones discussed in your book?

To Kate,
Have you seen the Radium Girls play? How do you like it?

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (katetakate) | 96 comments To Angie: I really enjoyed your book, found it powerful and reccomend it highly. One element I enjoyed was the code switching Starr experienced, while my background is quite dissimilar, I can relate to the teenage and now adult experiences of “code switching” between worlds too.

To Kate: Enjoyed your book and found it a very harrowing and informative book indeed! Appreciated your great extentive research.

Questions for both:
Q1: Can you please give us some background anecdotes about some of the challenges/obstacles or interesting moments you encounter while writing or researching your book?

Q2: What is your favourite less-known book as an adult, and what was your favourite book growing up?

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ostroski | 2 comments For Angie...

Looking back, what advice would you give your 16 year old self?

I was also wondering if your name had any family history tied to it?

message 16: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 21 comments Thank you for the opportunity to ask questions!

I have a question for Kate Moore:

You spoke to relatives and friends of the radium girls to find out their real and authentic nature.

Where there any of them who did not like the idea of their wife/mother/friend being 'a chapter' in the book?
Did you cut out one of the girls you wanted to write about?
And did you have to get a chapter pre-approve by the relatives?

Thank you :)

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 89 comments What book would you recommend to read?

message 18: by Anne Elisabeth (new)

Anne Elisabeth   (anneelisabeth) | 90 comments To both the authors,

I love that you have written books about such important topics, that really haven't received much literary attention before (at least that have reached the general public).

What is the best way we as human beings and activists can raise awareness for others? Can you give an example of a simple and impactful act we can do to help others?

message 19: by Rida (new)

Rida Imran  (ridaimran) | 22 comments For Angie Thomas:

A realistic coloured strong female protagonist means so much to me! I'm from Pakistan and here we have interracial bias upon how light or dark browm shaded we are.
Did you know even that was a thing? Also who are what was your biggest influence

message 20: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Adair | 1 comments For Angie Thomas:

I loved the reality of complicated family relationships, like Seven's half-siblings and Uncle Carlos. It felt real. Where did you find the inspiration to include this dynamic in The Hate U Give? What do you hope readers take away from this?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.