AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

The Last Suppers
This topic is about The Last Suppers
THE LAST SUPPERS: Food as a Character in Fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Mikulencak (mandymikulencak) | 11 comments Whenever I read novels (or watch TV or movies), I pay close attention to the role that food plays in the characters’ lives. Writers have a glorious opportunity to add depth to their stories by giving readers (and viewers) a glimpse into why characters eat what they eat, either by choice or circumstance. The specificity is what makes the character-food connection so memorable. For more of my thoughts on food as a character in fiction, read my blog post at Women’s Writers, Women’s Books. http://booksbywomen.org/elevating-the...

What is your favorite food-themed book or movie?I particularly like Chocolat and Like Water for Chocolate.

message 2: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy (cinderlu) | 5 comments Mandy wrote: "Whenever I read novels (or watch TV or movies), I pay close attention to the role that food plays in the characters’ lives. Writers have a glorious opportunity to add depth to their stories by givi..."
No Place I'd Rather Be by Cathy Lamb ... cake!!!

message 3: by Stella (new) - added it

Stella McKissack (stellamckissack) | 38 comments Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. Filled with the kind of "old fashioned " type foods I love seeing in novels and movies.

message 4: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Mikulencak (mandymikulencak) | 11 comments Stella wrote: "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. Filled with the kind of "old fashioned " type foods I love seeing in novels and movies."

That's one of my favorites!!

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
If I had my way, I would just read (and maybe write) pages and pages of what characters eat. I feel as though that is so telling — individually, culturally, economically.

Let's see... Besides The Great British Bake-Off (a cheat, since not a story per se), I loved all the food in the Godfather movies.