The Great American Read discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Old Posts 2018 > Get to Know You! 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 197 (197 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniekeister) This is a place for everyone to introduce themselves and get to know one another! Please only share info that you are comfortable sharing!
May name is Marnie Evans, I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. I currently live in Twin Falls, Idaho. I have also lived in New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah! I am 25, went to college in Phoenix and Majored in both Baking & Pastry and Culinary Arts. I am finally in a point in my life where I can read more and not work so much! I am married with no children, but hoping to start a family in the near future! I am excited to Read away at TGAR list!

message 2: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 91 comments Mod
Hi! My name is Janet Johnson. I was born in Pullman, Washington but when young moved to New Hampshire. I stayed there for almost 50 years but 8 years ago my husband and I moved back to Pasco, Washington. I'm 65 and retired. I do quite a bit of reading but have never been a fast reader. I have been working away at the BBC's Top 200 Books list and am involved in several other Goodreads Group challenges.

message 3: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Hi,I'm Blueberry (aka Cindy). I live in California's Bay Area. And I love PBS :)

message 4: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniekeister) Ann wrote: "Marnie- Thanks for starting the group! I was seriously considering starting one myself, but I just happened to do a search using "PBS" beforehand and this group popped up. :-)"

Oh no problem! If you want to help moderate, please let me know! This is my first!

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hi I'm Debbie. I live in Delaware. I love to read and I'm a teacher so this group is perfect for summer break!

message 6: by Codie (new)

Codie | 61 comments I’m Codie. I live in South Carolina. Prior to becoming a stay-at-home mom to three kids, I worked almost 8 years in the public library system after completing a B.A. in English in 2007. Now I get to focus on fostering a love for books to my children who are 4yrs, 2yrs, and 5 mos old.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin814) | 20 comments Hi! I'm Erin, a 37-year-old wife and homeschooling mother of two, residing in West Virginia. I have also lived in Ohio, New Jersey, South Carolina, and Florida. I attended Marshall University as a psychology major, minoring in criminal justice and U.S. History. I have always enjoyed reading, especially classics. My other hobbies include sewing and quilting, singing/songwriting, and fostering/adopting tripod cats.

message 8: by Hal (new)

Hal (halbgold) | 17 comments Hi. My name is Hal. I am originally from Philly and now live in Cherry Hill,NJ. I am married for 41 years,a nd a Financial advisor for the past 31 years. Have previously lived in Massachusetts,West Virginia, North Carolina, and Michigan. I attended West Virginia University with degrees in Business and Rehab Counseling. I am happy to be a part of the group and have to admit while loving to read, I have alot of business reading which slows down my reading for pleasure. Will try to keep up and am all for maybe a book or two a month tops, if others agree. Other hobbies are bike riding, singing (choral and solo), and taking care of our two beautiful cats .

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee Freeman (reneefreeman) | 12 comments Hi. My name is Renee. I am 60 years old and been married 26 years. I have a 21 year old daughter who is moving to Chicago next weekend to start her first real job. She graduated as did everyone in our family from Michigan State University. We have a cat and a golden retriever.
I read mostly fiction with a couple of non fictions thrown in that come highly rated. I prefer current reads, but try to pick up at least one "classic" a year.
My husband retired last year and we joined a library book club that meets once a month in a bar. We pick and choose according to the book, but really enjoy the night out.

I'm always looking for friends on goodreads here's my info:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2...

message 10: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2018 10:42PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Hi I'm Nancy. I'm married (37 years) with two grown kids. I'm a former professor taking time off to take care of my mother. Being "stuck" at home has had many unexpected benefits. I'm getting to know my mom better after living 1600 miles apart for 40 years, I have more time to read for fun, and I have no papers to grade. I'm enjoying the time before I have to start working again. I probably read more books (for fun) in the last 12 months than I did in the previous 5 years. I'm in several local book clubs and groups on goodreads, and I'm excited about this initiative. For fun, I read mostly fiction - historical fiction, literature, mystery/thrillers, and classics, plus some non-fiction to mix things up.

Edit - I'm also a moderator for the group now. Marnie started it, but she has an emergency so won't be here as much. If anyone wants to help out, please let me know. I haven't moderated before so I'm still learning.

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2018 12:35AM) (new)

Renee wrote: "Hi. My name is Renee. I am 60 years old and been married 26 years. ...

My husband retired last year and we joined a library book club that meets once a month in a bar."

I've been wondering how to get my husband to come to more book club meetings. Now I see - hold the meetings in a bar!

message 12: by Jerome (new)

Jerome (tnjed01) | 21 comments Hi, I'm Jerry, 55, living in Tennessee, previously from NC and WV, spent a year in Germany as well. I enjoy soccer, Americana music, and psychological and social sciences. Thanks for setting up this group.

message 13: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Hi everyone! I'm Tasha and I love reading lists and when I saw this group (from Nancy) I just knew I had to join. I'm going to try my best to read along but we'll see how things go. I will try though!

I'm a homeschool mom to a tween and a teen...we love it and it works well for us. I've lived in PA all my life, originally in Phila but now in the suburbs for over 40 years. I am an avid reader so I hope to get through some of these books with you all. :)

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise Lauron (dlauron) | 13 comments I am Denise. I live in San Francisco. I have two daughters, one in college and one about to graduate from high school.

I just found this group this morning and I'm so excited to see that there are others who are following the list, too.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Hi, my name is Kirsten and I live across the river from Janet in Kennewick in southeastern Washington State. (This is in the 2/3 of the Evergreen State that is brown!)

I will read nearly anything (within reason) and love challenges like the Great American Read which reminds me there are other genres than mystery, historical fiction, and romance.

I live with my mother and my 19-year-old Australian Shepherd mix.

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Welcome everyone! I'm so excited about this project. Marnie is in the middle of an emergency right now, so I'm trying to set things up to ease the way. There is so much we can do, other than read books on the list, and I welcome ideas, help, suggestions, etc.

message 17: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Thanks, Nancy. :)

Kirsten, a 19yo pup! That's amazing. I thought my shepherd that lived to be just around 15-16 was a long time. That's wonderful!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) Hi everyone! My name is Allison and I just love reading lists. It is disappointing that the official book club for The Great American Read is only on Facebook. I'm a member, but it's not a great platform for book discussion!

Admittedly, like many of the books on the list, I am not American. I am a northerly neighbour who loves books and talking about them too.

message 19: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Erin wrote: "and fostering/adopting tripod cats. ..."

This made me smile!

Hi! I'm Kristin. I have lived in Fall River, MA since I was born. I'm married with one rugrat and two obnoxious cats. I love to read and I'm probably in too many book clubs. But I do my best. I even created a club for lesser known books here on Goodreads.

I have a BS in Natural Resource Studies that I don't use, but I loved learning about it. I am a Supervisor in a Call Center for an international hotel company.

My favorite genre is fantasy, but I've been working on branching out from that.

I'm excited about this group! Even if I can't get to all the books on the list.

message 20: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Tasha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Tasha and I love reading lists and when I saw this group (from Nancy) I just knew I had to join. I'm going to try my best to read along but we'll see how things go. I will try thou..."

I'm glad you're here Tasha. Maybe you can give me some pointers!

message 21: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "Hi everyone! My name is Allison and I just love reading lists. It is disappointing that the official book club for The Great American Read is only on Facebook. I'm a member, but it's not a great pl..."

Hi Allison! If by northerly, you mean Canada, then we might be neighbors. I'm not too far from Niagara Falls. Goodreads is the best place for books discussions online imo, and there are many groups to choose from. There is something for everyone here.

message 22: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Kristin B. wrote: "Erin wrote: "and fostering/adopting tripod cats. ..."

This made me smile!

Hi! I'm Kristin. I have lived in Fall River, MA since I was born. I'm married with one rugrat and two obnoxious cats. I..."

Hi Kristin. A few of the books on the GAR seem to be lesser known, so we might have some cross-over reads. Though maybe they are unknown to me because I don't read those genres. The list is encouraging me to branch out to read things I would otherwise never consider.

message 23: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Kirsten wrote: "Hi, my name is Kirsten ...

I live with my mother and my 19-year-old Australian Shepherd mix
.."

Hi Kirsten, I didn't know we had that in common. I thought our dog was a border collie mix (with golden retriever), but my husband says she's an Aussie mix.

message 24: by Tasha (new)

Tasha We had our sweet mutt DNA tested years ago and he has some Australian Shepherd in the mix. Coonhound and chow as well.

message 25: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) I am so happy to find this group. The topic and voting is something I am following. I found the group through Retro Chapter Chicks. Thank you Nancy.
I plan to moderate a Great American Reads 'Workshop' at our next book club (June 25). The participants will come with a list of what they have read and a little talk on which book is their favorite. I plan to re-read Rebecca for my book.

message 26: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Hello everyone. I'm glad to find your group and hope to participate in some of the reads. I do a lot of reading since retirement but was shocked at how many on the list I have NOT read. I hope to remedy that with your help.. I actually already have 2 started
Owen Meany and Watership Down.

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) Hello everyone - I'm Heather and I live in Southern California. I'm from Wisconsin originally. I went to university near some of you folks, in Walla Walla, WA. My education is in English literature, psychology, and education. I currently do assessment and accreditation at a university. It's a nice mix of writing and data analysis.

Lately I've been trying to infuse my reads with American books and history (great courses) as I feel like I'm not as well read in these areas from being an English lit major.

message 28: by Cat (new)

Cat hi everyone! I'm looking forward to reading some of the books on the list! I haven't even heard of some of them. i'm from Virginia and used to be a high school English teacher.

message 29: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Loretta wrote: "A big hello to everyone! My name is Loretta and I'm from New Jersey. I'm beyond thrilled that Nancy has asked me to moderator with her.

I read mostly classics, books on religion, thrillers and my..."

I'm so glad you said yes!! Welcome!

message 30: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Cat wrote: "hi everyone! I'm looking forward to reading some of the books on the list! I haven't even heard of some of them. i'm from Virginia and used to be a high school English teacher."

Great! If you haven't already, jump over to the nomination thread and identify some books. We'll choose tomorrow (later today), so it makes sense to pick at least one or two that already have a lot of nominations.

message 31: by Maya (last edited Jun 01, 2018 06:27AM) (new)

Maya B Hello everyone. Thank you for the invite Nancy J. I currently live in SC. I am married and a mother of 2. this year has been very busy because my last child is graduating and going off to college. I am so ready for more free time to just read. I'm thinking about turning one of my bedrooms into a quite spot for me. I also would like to start my own booktube. I've been an avid read for many years and I love reading all genres except sci-fi. That genre is hit or miss for me

message 32: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Welcome to all and congrats to you, Loretta!

message 33: by Skye (new)

Skye | 72 comments Hi everyone~ I'm Skye. Thanks for the invitation, Nancy!

message 34: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Hi Skye!

message 35: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne Hi I am Roseanne. I am from Long Island and I am completely obsessed with the Great American Read. I saw the group scrolling through my updates and couldn't resist. I want to read every book on the list.

message 36: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Hi Roseanne. Love your enthusiasm. I feel the same but am kind of Leary of the number of chunksters on that list.

message 37: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne I know some of them are quite large but I have already read some of the chunksters on the list. I read War and Peace a few years ago. Nothing is intimidating after that.

message 38: by Tasha (new)

Tasha True! W&P is a huge accomplishment and nothing feels so daunting after reading that. I've read a bunch of the chunksters already (inc W&P) so I'm breathing a little sigh of relief. ;)

message 39: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments I'm Parker, 61 years young, and a female despite the name. I'm a Museum Educator/Living Historian originally from Murray, Kentucky, currently living in South Carolina, but looking for a full time job out of here. I've been married for 28 years, have 3 grown kids, 3 grandkids, and one furbaby (a chocolate lab mixed with possibly bullmastiff or mastiff). I spend my time weaving and reading (much reading about weaving too). I've read most of the books on the list. I'll read pretty much anything, even the dictuonary if there's nothing else available. My B.S. is in Library Science, my M.A. is in Secondary Ed. with a teaching major in English and minor in Psychology. Outside of weaving and reading, my hobby is folk music (singing, playing and collecting).

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hansen | 1 comments Hello! Hopped on from the Everyone has Read this But Me group.
I'm from the mountains of NC, and I love to read.

message 41: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

Celia wrote: "I am so happy to find this group. The topic and voting is something I am following. I found the group through Retro Chapter Chicks. Thank you Nancy.
I plan to moderate a Great American Reads 'Works..."

That's an excellent idea. I'm going to talk about it at my local bookclub next week during the break. It would be great to have a separate meeting for it!.

message 42: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Sheila wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm glad to find your group and hope to participate in some of the reads. I do a lot of reading since retirement but was shocked at how many on the list I have NOT read. I hope to r..."

Great. Welcome. I was surprised too that I hadn't read more. I only cracked 50% if I cheated and counted movies!

message 43: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Haha Nancy. I thought about doing that too. I would be so much further on the list if the movies would count.

message 44: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. Hi, everyone! I am Elizabeth A.G. (Betty) and happy to join this Great American Read group. My husband & I have 3 grown sons and are celebrating 50 yrs. marriage this year. Having grown up in NJ, I have lived in IL and OH and we are now retired in Las Vegas. I love reading history, nonfiction, classics, some sci-fi, mystery, just about anything; but not a fan of romance or fantasy. I am retired from nursing (gerontology and acute rehab) with a background in medical surgical nursing (where most nurses start out) and have a BA in English lit. I belong to some other Goodreads groups also, but I like this one's connection with PBS and the GAR. I have read about 1/3 of the GAR list, and looking forward adding more with this group. Thank you, NancyJ

message 45: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. Thanks, Loretta. Getting started on 1984 which will be a re-read as it has been ages since last read! Placed a hold at the library for Looking for Alaska. I guess you are also from NJ, Loretta?

message 46: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 21 comments Hi everyone. I'm Tom and I figure that some of these books will peak my interest. Please don't make me read the Twilight series, though.

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) And don't make me read Wheel of Time. ;)

message 48: by Erika (new)

Erika Kotite | 2 comments Hi my name is Erika Kotite. I'm an author, editor and avid reader but was dismayed to discover I'd only read about half of the Top 100 list! I've got my work cut out for me. I have a she shed in my Huntington Beach back yard, which is tailor made for (yep you guessed it) reading. You might glimpse me in the PBS series during the Pride and Prejudice coverage but I haven't made it that far in the recording yet! I look forward to discussions here.

message 49: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Hi, my name is Rosemarie and I live in Toronto,Ontario, Canada, which is part of North America. 😉
I am a retired teacher with two grandkids, one from each daughter.
I love reading, learning new languages and travelling.
I read just about everything except the gory stuff.

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan Hi. My name is Susan. I have two college aged children. I have always loved to read. I find I do not have the memory I used to and it is frustrating. I am not sure I will always be able to keep up as I do a lot of reading for different reasons/groups but appreciate the invite.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.