Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected, Vol. 1 (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Light Novels, #1)
Light Novels > My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected Volume 1 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (last edited Jul 09, 2018 04:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Hachiman Hikigaya is a cynic. "Youth" is a crock, he believes--a sucker's game, an illusion woven from failure and hypocrisy. But when he turns in an essay for a school assignment espousing this view, he's sentenced to work in the Service Club, an organization dedicated to helping students with problems in their lives! How will Hachiman the Cynic cope with a job that requires--gasp!--optimism?

Let's read My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected, Vol. 1!

My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected, Vol. 1 (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Light Novels, #1) by Wataru Watari

Reading Schedule:

17 Jun - 23 Jun: Chapters 1 & 2
24 Jun - 30 Jun: Chapters 3 & 4
1 Jul - 7 Jul: Chapters 5 & 6
8 Jul - 14 Jul: Chapters 7 & 8

message 2: by Terrence (new) - added it

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments I think I'll participate in this one. I got a copy, and I haven't touched it yet.

I did watch some of the anime, but I kind of just want to see Hatchiman's philosophy in novel form.

message 3: by Rose (last edited May 31, 2018 01:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Awesome, it will be good to have you along!

I was hoping to get a digital copy but I looked it up and for some reason there doesn't seem to be an ebook version so I'll be ordering the paperback and getting the reading schedule up soon. :)

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Okay, my copy turned up this morning so I had a quick flick through and have put up the likely schedule. I'll add the page numbers when I get home.

As a reminder, the group read starts this weekend!

message 5: by Eliestal (last edited Jun 15, 2018 12:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eliestal | 13 comments Don't forget that, at the end of the book, there is a "Translation Note" part explaining most of the references the characters make. Be sure to check at least sometime (I read the translation notes at the end of each chapter).

message 6: by Terrence (new) - added it

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments ^ Thanks. Will do. I am very bad with references (I've only read one Suzumiya book and watched not much JoJo, Sailor Moon, or Evangelion, so I feel like that's half the references I see regularly gone).

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments How is everyone coming along? What are your first impressions?

I've started late so I've just finished chapter 1 but I can see the combination of Yukino's haughtiness and Hachiman's cynicism and delusions could be pretty fun going forward. :)

Howard | 75 comments I'm really loving the otaku and vindictive nature of the teacher. She is the stand out for me so far and there is no character that rubs me the wrong way yet.

Eliestal | 13 comments I agree with Howard here. Hachiman and the teacher are my favorite characters so far. I do like the fact that Hachiman is different from what you would expecct from a Rom-Com male protagonist and I do enjoy reading about his point of view on school and life in general.

Howard | 75 comments Just finished up this week's chapters and I like the addition of Yuigahama. She stayoff as the usual Gal bad at cooking type but then she bucked the norm. I will have to say the conversation between her and Miura was uncomfortable to read.

Eliestal | 13 comments Yuigahama was a great addition to the club I think since Hachiman and yukinoshita are somewhat close in terms of personality.
I, like, agree with you about the conversation with Miura but I do think it was made that way to, like, emphasize Yuigahama's character (^^). You will have more of those conversation in future volumes as well so get ready!

Since the period for chapter 5 and 6 is almost up, what do you think about Zaimokuza and Totsuka? If I remember correctly it should be their chapter respectively.
I think the dynamic between those two and Hachiman will be interesting!

message 12: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments I'm still a little bit behind because of work but I'm catching up again. I've just started chapter 6. :)

Like both of you, I'm liking the addition of Yuigahama! Her couple of chapters do a lot to bring some warmth to the story and show Hachiman and Yukinoshita in a more positive light (although Hachiman's initial reaction to Yuigahama was a little urgh - I'm glad he seems to have gotten past calling her a slut and comparing her to a prostitute).

I agree that the conversation between Yuigahama and Miura was uncomfortable but I think it helped to enforce just why Yuigahama was so impressed by Yukinoshita and also why she felt compelled to become more of her own person. I wonder if we'll see more of Miura later?

Zaimokuza made me chuckle but I'd like to see him fleshed out a bit more and given a bit more time like Yuigahama. We got hints of this at the end of chapter 5, where it was revealed that he had a surprising amount of determination when it came to writing, but beyond that he's a joke character right now.

Howard | 75 comments Zaimokuza made me laugh, he has the impossible to define inner confidence that the really odd characters tend to have. Also, this book does seem to like to stick to the all the anime tropes and type of characters (I say that because of the trap like Totsuka). I chuckled when I read the Guidance Counseling form at the end of the chapter where the teacher imagined him in a nurses outfit because he said he wanted to be a nurse.

message 14: by Terrence (new) - added it

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments I started this just a bit. Gonna jump fully in a bit after next week though.

Hatchiman likes to espouse philosophy that can seem convincing... But he's ignoring his assignment task entirely. I like how he's going to just do a "by the book" essay next (sounds like how I'd do it too, just dot the "I"s, cross the "T"s in terms of what the teacher is looking for if they don't want you to express your opinion or think too deeply on a matter).

We meet Yukino. Definitely an abrasive start to their relationship.

I remember people saying Hatchiman was actually fairly good looking according to the novels, but that isn't exactly evident at least so far (maybe Yukino will acknowledge his looks later, but she finds his sister's tastes totally subjective... And man, that's sad to bring up your sister's opinion on your looks to defend yourself).

Manga references mostly go over my head since I'm not much of a classic battle Shounen fan.

message 15: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments I finished up the book today! How did you all find the ending? Who was your favourite character? And most importantly, who would you ship with who?!

I enjoyed the tennis match and it was fun to see Hachiman get a moment of acknowledgement (before promptly being ignored again). I feel like the ending was perhaps a little short though - it would have been nice to get some other character reactions before the final chapter finished.

Yuigahama was probably the character that grew on me the most. :) She got a lot of nice moments in this book and I think came away as the most relatable/likeable character. Hachiman also grew on me but sometimes would say or think something kind of despicable...

On the romance front, it feels like Hachiman, Yukinoshita and Yuigahama are being set up for a slow-burn love triangle. I have a feeling there's going to be more teasing of Hachiman/Totsuka and Yukinoshita/Yuigahama in future volumes too (presented as a joke but wow, Hachiman's thoughts sure can make you wonder if he's actually bi). Poor Zaimokuza will be forever alone. :V

Howard | 75 comments I finished it and thought overall it was a good light novel. I've shipped Yuigahama and Hachiman already, those two seem like a good couple. The end of the tennis match was the seemed like an easy out to me though I did laugh at the Yukinoshita endurance excuse.

Eliestal | 13 comments The first novel was very good. It did a good job of setting the main characters up. I like the main trio a lot and I ship Yuigahama and Hachiman a lot :) I am to see a lot of Yui Love here.
The Hachiman/Totsuka dynamic is the most entertaining to me (and I ship it a little ^^). I think to me Zaimokuza is the weakest support for now and I hope he will develop in the future.
I want to see more of the teacher as well, she brings some good points for the group.