YA LGBT Books discussion

The Question Corner > Interviewing for My Second Book!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seth (new)

Seth (sethharringtonjourneys) | 19 comments Hey, y'all!

I just published my first book, and I've started my second. This book focuses on queer/LGBT+ coming out experiences, and it has 3 parts. I won't explain the first two, because that's not where I need your help; the 3rd section is where I need your help. I'm looking to interview people that are willing to share their stories with me. I will ask 3 base questions, and we'll work from there:

1. When did you first notice or think that you were "different", queer, or that something in you operated in a way that others didn't?
2. When did you really start to identify as queer (whatever your particular identity is) and view yourself in that way? What was your inner "coming out" experience like?
3. What was your outer coming out experience? How did people react? How did you learn to interact in the world?

I'm looking for positive and negative stories, I just need stories that are impacting and important.

I will be writing experiential stories based on what you tell me, so it may not look the way it actually happened to you! But, I'm sharing this because I know that there are others in our community out there that need to be understood and need to know that they're not alone. Having said that, although the story may not be exactly the way it happened to you, I want to make sure that the Soul of your experience is shared, that the Heart of your experience is communicated.

I would like to chat via phone call or video. First, we can make arrangements for that via email (sethharr@gmail.com) (or direct message me on here). If you want to share but absolutely do not want yourself associated with it, so much so that you don't trust me to see your face or have access to your phone number, we can communicate entirely by email; I strongly would prefer otherwise, but if you want to share and that's the only way you will, I will work with you that way. :) I will be publishing stories with names, with nicknames, or unnamed. It will be published with physical copies, as well as ebooks.
I probably left something out, but nothing comes to mind.

I have some stories already, but I need more! This is for people in our community that need to feel understood, and maybe even allies that need to have more of an inside look to see what it can really feel like.

-Seth

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments We very strongly recommend that any members under 18 DO NOT have any phone or video contact with people met online, and be cautious with personal email addresses, just FYI - I know several teens who had bad experiences with this. If a member is over 18, then they obviously judge their own comfort levels, and the legal release of their information including for publication. (I understand Seth's caution of course, because that goes both ways. We have had members misrepresent themselves too.)

That is neither an endorsement, nor a rejection of this project, just a reminder that no online site is a guaranteed safe connection, including this one. The book project sounds good, just be aware.

message 3: by Seth (new)

Seth (sethharringtonjourneys) | 19 comments Kaje wrote: "We very strongly recommend that any members under 18 DO NOT have any phone or video contact with people met online, and be cautious with personal email addresses, just FYI - I know several teens wh..."

I approve this message, haha. I didn't even think of that! I definitely have no...ulterior motives or anything sinister, but I wouldn't want my little siblings taking part in something with those directions, because it COULD be unsafe.
Thanks, Kaje.

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Thanks for understanding. Good luck with the book.